Author Topic: Metric Century on Bicycle  (Read 1192 times)

Offline W14

Metric Century on Bicycle
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
I will turn 60 this week. Who knew how good sixty would feel!  Eight years ago, I started riding a bicycle for pleasure and health reasons. One of my goals back then was to be riding the bicycle when I turned sixty, and my plans were to do sixty miles (a metric century is 62 miles) on my birthday. Sixty miles may seem like a lot for those who have not ridden a bicycle since childhood but it is a goal for weekend bicycling enthusiasts. The furthest I have ridden is 50 miles in one day…boy did that hurt.

Time flies and life happens.  For me, a health crisis prevented me from bicycling regularly and a mid-life crisis caused me to want to work on my bucket list sooner rather than later, enters the C-14, why pedal when you can twist the throttle.

Anyway, I have a new plan. I am going to do sixty miles on the bicycle but it is going to be in increments during the week rather than all in one day.

Did about 12.5 miles this morning and felt good, 47.5 miles left.

Ride On!

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
Re: Metric Century on Bicycle
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
Happy Birthday! 

I hope the remaining miles are all downhill and toward home....
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline W14

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
Thanks, hope to get in another 10-15 miles tomorrow, mix of hills and flat land

Offline soyjim

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:09 PM »
http://mostateparks.com/2012-katy-trail-ride

The above ride is something you might enjoy and is good motivation.
There are rides like this all over the country.
Most of the people on the ride are middle age and above.

Offline W14

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
Soyjim,

Thanks, group rides such as Katy-Trail ride can be a lot of fun; however, it is bit more ambitious than anything I am willing to undertake at this time. Several of the rides exceed 50 miles/day; my goal is 60 this week...20 miles are a good day for me.  When I started motorcycling, my passion for bicycling decreased significantly so I don't bicycle as much, and I do it more for the health benefits rather than the number of miles accumulated.

Did do another 12.5 miles today, another 35 left.

Offline soyjim

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »
W14
I forgot to say happy birthday.

I am about your age. Born in 53. Not in great shape but I have ridden a bicycle off and on all my life. Alway wanted to do a bicycle trip so in 2001 I signed up for a 350 mile week long road bike trip. I did not train enough for the trip maybe 3 months. That consisted of about 3 ten mile a week rides and a few of those rides were 25 miles.

I would not have done that training if I did not Know I was going on the trip. Some how I survived.

I have alwas been heavy but I noticed after the week of the the trip my leg strength dramatically increased and to this day is better than it was before I took that trip. I salute you for sitting a realistic goal for your birthday. If you wanted to do the metric century you could train for one in a month or two using those daily or semidaily rides your doing now. There may also be some bicycle clubs in your area that have rides. I need to start bicycling more again.

I sent you the katy website cause I am thinking about signing up for a day or two of that trip.
Good luck. keep spinning.