Author Topic: What was I thinking?  (Read 2967 times)

Offline bouts

What was I thinking?
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
When I bought my Concours, I was actually looking for an adventure style bike, and had settled on the Buell Ulysses.  Well, the other day I was going through some classifieds online, and found one for sale just about 45 minutes from where I'm staying.  Well, i emailed the seller, and was figuring ways I could get it and move the Concours to make room for the Buell.  But as fate would have it, I ended up going on a long ride through the foothills of the Rockies, covering about 1000kms in two days.  When I sat down and thought it all out in my room here, I noticed that the wind and element protection were far superior on the Concours.  The comfort because of that would be far superior to the naked Buell.  And to top it all off, when I rode on some gravel roads and uneven surfaces, I quickly became aware that there really is no comfort factor for me to be on anything but asphalt/concrete!  So, the Concours stays, and I'm happy....however... if a Ulysses XB12XT were to become available close by......  in a moment of weakness.....

Offline jim_de_hunter

Re: What was I thinking?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:26:02 AM »
They are certainly alluring with all of their quarter century newer technology and super sleek looks.  Kinda like 20 year old women.  The motorcycle will probably need about the same maintenance as a 20 year old woman.   But I know the Blue Monsters ways and they're comfortable.  I can't imagine riding anything else with as much satisfaction.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
I'm lucky.  I've got both.

I can't imagine not having the Ulysses.  A completely different riding experience.

-darrell
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »
I thought after riding one that the Ulysses had THE BEST suspension on any bike I've ever ridden in my life. If I only had two bikes, that bike would be the other, some heat issues but overall, thats a nice bike.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:27:49 AM by Strawboss »
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:37:42 AM »
I use my Connie as an ADV bike.  I have a dual sport HONDA, but sometimes thousands of miles from FL its just not available to me for ADV riding.

CA:

AZ:
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Well i don't know much about the C14, by my C10 has no trouble getting a little off road when needed. Logging roads or some like you show in your pics are not bad at all.
Just ask one of our members, Billhook how well they do, he actually looks for gravel and roads like that on rides. He lives for the off road experience.
I will tell you that the plastic doesn't do very well in the gravel, but chips on the plastic is like marks on my Football helmet, it means I did something.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
I looked at a Uly, but you need a damn 50" inseam to straddle the thing. :-\

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:43:40 AM »
I've been kicking around a Multistrada....damn they are nice!

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:39 AM »
Just ask one of our members, Billhook how well they do, he actually looks for gravel and roads like that on rides. He lives for the off road experience.

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, HOLD ON THERE, BIG GUY...  I hope that's being said with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek and a wink of the eye.  I despise gravel on the Connie.  Scott is the one who takes great joy in leading me down the goat paths of WV.  But, I will admit, that I have, inadvertantly, included some rough roads on my rides.  The one on the KY Ferries Ride was Tub's doing, BTW.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
My c 14 is a good off road bike also.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once