Author Topic: What would you take with you?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
What would you take with you?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
This one is close...
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28402205/detail.html
http://boulderoem.com/emergency-status (this is a dynamic site, current info will rotate out in time)

Passport and my main computer.  And whatever else I can shove in the truck before I'm 'forced' to evacuate. Everything else is either replaceable, or firmly lodged in the nooks/crannies of my brain. Someplace ;)

What would you take? What is irreplaceable to you?

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: What would you take with you?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

Wow I dunno but thanks for posting this. I was going to be there about Wed.-Thurs. of next week !
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »
Wife and kids.  (Oh, they're not optional?)   ;D
Dogs and cats - well any of the cats that could be found at the moment.
Computers
Fireproof box (Has  most of the important family documents in it.)
Whatever ham radio gear I can grab.  (There's a rig in the truck, but more is better - but for it's usefulness, not because I can't replace it.)
Firearms.

Thinking about it, I can probably have all that stuff in the truck, ready to go, in under 30 minutes.  Unplugging the computers and radios probably would take the largest portion of time.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »

Wow I dunno but thanks for posting this. I was going to be there about Wed.-Thurs. of next week !

Well, think about it! You generally have an hour to pack.

Look me up though!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
My cat Chester and his food and support items.  That's the only thing irreplaceable, the rest of this is just for convenience.

My "go pack", always ready to hit the road just in case.

Tent and camping gear.

A few "self protection" items.

Old photographs.

Laptop only if I had a lot of time to get it.

As many tools as I had time and space for.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »
My truck, my dogs, my bike and my wife in no particular order.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:01 AM »
Rick you're not kidding that one is really close to you. Hope the winds carry it away from you. I can picture you loading up airplane parts, good scotch and your wonderful sourdough. Take care and good luck.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
Dogs, Moto the cat, laptops and external HD backup (but have most stuff backed up online), FAMILY PHOTO ALBUMS, fireproof box with important papers (C14 title, of course). And a case or two of good beer to either use as a stress reducer or as trade items with the natives.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 06:33:41 AM »
Toyhauler is always stocked and ready to go. Put in a hidden Fire proof gun safe when it was new in 99. Couple things in house safe already boxed and ready to walk away ie;  passports/important papers/ extra ammo and heavy weapons [.308 and up] round out the plan.

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
Dude, "west of Lyons", not good for you!  Had some friends evacuated from Los Alamos earlier this week, no more, okay?

As far as what I'd take?  Everything I possibly could that I cannot replace.  Not an easy decision in the heat of the moment.

Best of luck, we'll be waiting for you to pop your head up with an "all's well".
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
Family, truck, fuel, cash from safe, 5 gallons of water and water filter, blankets/sleeping bags, KLR, M1A w/basic load, Kimber, w/basic load, archery gear, a  case of MREs, lap top, and several tarps.  Should get to the other side of the mountains to everything else needed for life.  Gun safe is good for most any fire imaginable and all important docs are locked up.  Ever vigilant, always prepared.  I can not imagine living in some school gym or similar, been there, done that in the Army, aint very comfortable.  I believe I could live out my life with these few items, fuel would be the hardest thing to come by in a big enough emergency, hence the KLR and I always have a chainsaw on the other property, so cooking and heating wouldnt be an issue for some time.  Weapons, to provide safety and archery to provide food.  Aint much luck involved involved in most any survival situation.  I can taste the wild turkey roasted over an open fire as I type :D  Oh, fire aint all that good at the moment, is it Rick?

Heres to wishing you the best and hoping you dont need to execute any emergency plan, but if ya do, the string is always out ;)

Bob

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
Computer, all the important papers, photo's (irreplaceable kind), money, credit cards, clothing, and what ever else fits in the time I have to load the vehicles. One of the bike's on the trailer if possible!!!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
Well, think about it! You generally have an hour to pack.

Look me up though!

Yes sir that will happen, I'll ping you and stavee when I'm in the neighborhood. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
Yes sir that will happen, I'll ping you and stavee when I'm in the neighborhood. 
Three oh three, seven 47, twenty 42. Spare bed(s) if ya need 'em. Stavee know my place, he honks his friggin horn every time he passes by ;) With advance notice, I may fire up the grill.

Fire update.... there isn't one, at least from the gubmint droids. (ya spends yer taxes, ya takes yer chances ;) )
Lightning strike last night. Lightning usually hits the tallest object. In this case a mountain top. Fire tends to burn UP hill, unless really dry or windy. Forecast 20-30MPH winds didn't materialize today. But did this evening during the rain storm. Button Rock reservoir is maybe a mile or two from the fire, a real convenient place for helicopter drops to re-fill. I suspect the fire is out, or fairly well burned out by now.

Interesting take on what people will grab if they have to split. I'll have to add temp housing and my assortment of industrial strength bear spray to my 'grab' list.

Rick