Author Topic: What's happening with thu parts counter guys?  (Read 7632 times)

Offline blade

What's happening with thu parts counter guys?
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
I just started a rehab on a 82 GL500 Interstate. Since the bike has been out of production for almost 3 decades there are minimal parts available.  But the GL forum is almost as good as this one for finding current parts that will work in the old bike.
This lead me to the Advance Auto closest to me to pick up some things for the bike. The exchange with the younger counter help went something like this

Me: I need 2 NGK DR8ES-L or D8EA plugs
Counter guy: What vehicle?
Me: 82 GL500
CG: (tap tap on the computer) uuhhhh there is no GL500 in the computer  only a GL500 Silverwing
Me: yes that is the bike
CG: oh well you need the NGK DR8ES-L plugs 
Me: yes I know
CG: (gets the plugs)
Me: I need a CH6007 oil filter
CG: If they aren't on the shelf we sold them all, anything else?
Me: I need 1 foot of 1inch rad hose
CG: for the same bike?
Me: yes, but just cut me a length from the 1 inch bulk you have
CG: We don't carry radiator hoses for that bike
Me: I know just cut me a length of bulk
CG: we don't carry hose for that bike.
Me: fine, I need a thermostat
CG : for the same bike?
Me: yes, but I have the Stat part# just look up the part and see if it is in inventory.
CG: (tap tap on the computer)  We don't carry thermostats for that bike
Me: will you check this part#
CG: We don't carry anything but plugs for that bike.
Me: never mind I'll just take the plugs.

I leave and go to another Advance store that is not so convenient to go to. I walk up to the counter and this time the guy at the counter is about my age. 
Me: I need 1 foot 1 inch rad hose.
Older Counter Guy: We have that in bulk, you want 1 or 2 feet?
Me: give me a couple, I also need an oil filter
OCG: Looks like we are sold out, but the warehouse has them and it will be here first thing in the morning
Me: that's fine, can you cross check a thermostat number for me to see if you have it
OCG: no problem,
Me: I have AZ, Napa and Stat numbers which do you want?
OCG: we carry Stat brand
Me: here's the number
OCG: that's a regular stock part

I walked out of the second store with everything that I was after, except the filter which will be there in the AM.

I have been in and out of auto stores for years, but lately it seems that much of the counter help that is working has no idea how to just go and get the parts that you ask for without checking if it is okay to do so from the almighty computer.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: What's happening with thu parts counter guys?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
I ran into that about 3 weeks ago. If it doesn't pop up on their little computer screens, some of them are at a loss as to what to do. Looking on the shelves never seems to be an option. Part of this is probably also the databases they're accessing don't cross-reference worth a damn or are simply poorly designed.

Generational thing. The young guys into cars these days are far less mechanically skilled than earlier generations, in part because there's far less that can be done to modern cars. They lean more towards a replace-it mentality instead of a fix-it approach.

I always try to search out the older dudes when asking for help at an auto parts store, hardware store or similar. And the younger ones at the computer stores. And the good looking younger FEMALE ones at the bars!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
The reason for this is the parts stores require the counter people to use the computer to find the correct part for the vehicle application. They don't want us using a part for an application that is not listed due to....LIABILITY. If the part fails we could sue them for selling us a part that wasn't listed to be used in that application.

I always tell the story about a friend who wanted spark plugs for his race car. Went to AZ told them what he needed, and was asked, "What car". 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix. Which engine? 380. You mean 3800? No, 380. How many plugs? Eight. I don't show that engine being in that car. It has to be, I put it in there. Sorry, we don't have plugs for that.
So, he said he needed a water pump for a 1965 Corvair. What engine? 140. We don't list a water pump for that, must be a dealer item!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Recently had a similar issue at NAPA. I checked the availability of the brake pads and rotors that I needed on line before I went over. The parts that I needed were not currently in stock. Knowing this I wrote down the part nos. and figured that I have them order in for the next day.

I hand the counter guy the parts list with NAPA stock numbers know they are not in stock. He looks up the numbers and says that he'll be right back with the parts. I thought that it was my lucky day. Turns out, not so much.

He brings out the lower grade pads and rotors and gets ready to ring me up. I told him that they were not the parts I requested. His answer...there is no difference between the numbers that I wanted and the cheaper product line, besides he's saving me a few bucks.

I thank him for the effort, but still insist on the other product. You would have thought that I killed his dog. Dude gets visably angry, types in what I needed, then says they'll be in by lunch the next day.

He could have saved himself and me a lot of BS had he done that in the first place.  ???
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
I live in a small town in Kansas, the guy at the NAPA store, shares space with the hardware store.  So between the two, you will usually find what you need.  They prefer you bring in the broken part rather than a part number unless they have to, most of the time they want to look at the part you are replacing, and try to find what you need.  I consider myself fortunate.  There are also a good number of farmers in the area, and those guys seem to intentionally 'make it work' with a part that is 'close'.   Most of the time, start the converstation with "I am trying to do this...."  and away we go :D

I will drive 30 miles to a home depot, and when I explain what I need  I get the "Aisle x" and away the dissapear.....
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »

Me: I need 2 NGK DR8ES-L or D8EA plugs
Counter guy: What vehicle?
Me: 82 GL500
CG: (tap tap on the computer) uuhhhh there is no GL500 in the computer  only a GL500 Silverwing
Me: yes that is the bike
CG: oh well you need the NGK DR8ES-L plugs 
Me: yes I know
CG: (gets the plugs)
Me: I need a CH6007 oil filter
CG: If they aren't on the shelf we sold them all, anything else?
Me: I need 1 foot of 1inch rad hose
CG: for the same bike?
Me: yes, but just cut me a length from the 1 inch bulk you have
CG: We don't carry radiator hoses for that bike
Me: I know just cut me a length of bulk
CG: we don't carry hose for that bike.
Me: fine, I need a thermostat
CG : for the same bike?
Me: yes, but I have the Stat part# just look up the part and see if it is in inventory.
CG: (tap tap on the computer)  We don't carry thermostats for that bike
Me: will you check this part#
CG: We don't carry anything but plugs for that bike.
Me: never mind I'll just take the plugs.

:rotflmao: 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
Next time try this.... Look at the "Parts Person" with a scared glassy eyed stare and say this "Look I have no idea what these parts fit nor do I care as my wife gave me this grocery list of parts to bring home and I dam well don't want to disappoint her again"  :-\
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
Next time try this.... Look at the "Parts Person" with a scared glassy eyed stare and say this "Look I have no idea what these parts fit nor do I care as my wife gave me this grocery list of parts to bring home and I dam well don't want to disappoint her again"  :-\
I like it.

I have an '80 El Camino with a 350 engine and a 350 trans in it, not factory equipment that year. It's fun at the parts counter. The guy at NAPA just asked if I put the enginein it, without looking anything up. Guess where I buy most of my parts. Plus, he rides. :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I like it.

I have an '80 El Camino with a 350 engine and a 350 trans in it, not factory equipment that year. It's fun at the parts counter. The guy at NAPA just asked if I put the enginein it, without looking anything up. Guess where I buy most of my parts. Plus, he rides. :thumbs:

Yep NAPA seems to hold true to being a store with older parts guys behind the counter. I went there not long ago cause the local MC shop was closed (Monday) for some plugs for my Ural. He looks up the NGK number I gave him and says "what is so special about this plugs as I got nothing in the store" I tell him they are for a Russian bike. That just blows him away as he had never heard of no Russian bike and he wants to see it. Tells me to come back in one hour and he will have the plugs in hand. We go look at the bike outside; then I go to the Gun Range and return in 1.5 hour. Plugs are waiting on the counter for me. I'll be back again places like that get my money.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
I've been using the local O'Reilly's since it opened up.  I look up the part numbers and check their stock before I get there.  They don't even question me anymore.  They order the part if I tell them they don't have it and get the part if I tell them they do.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
I just had to get an O2 sensor for one of my cars.  Went to Advance, because it was $18.  Well, the guy tried to sell me the $57 part.  I asked him, "What's wrong with the $17 one?"  His reply, "You have to splice the wires - and they're fiber optic."  Me, "Yeah, that's OK, I can manage to save $40."

Really?  Fiber-optic on an O2 sensor???  How does it carry the voltage???   :o

I walked out of there with the $17 sensor, and spliced it into my car's wiring harness - simple crimp connector on copper wire. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
A lot of bike dealers are hiring "Chickie Poo" eye candy for their counter help to attract the guys. Genrally no idea about bikes overall, and many times not even able to handle simple computer stuff, but thats not the point is it?

Me-"I'm looking for an oil filter for my Concours"
Her-"Is that a Honda?"
Me-"Is there a man here I can talk to?"
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
Me-"I'm looking for an oil filter for my Concours"
Her- (leans over counter)"Is that a Honda Sugar?"
Me- Yes

Fixed it for ya  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
NAPA for parts (avoid advanced auto)
TARGET for goods (avoid walmart)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
It won't work Beav, I always look directly into a womans eyes when I talk to her. ;) I have to say though, the dealer I frequent has a woman parts person, and she's really good at what she does. Parts I mean.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
I just had to get an O2 sensor for one of my cars.  Went to Advance, because it was $18.  Well, the guy tried to sell me the $57 part.  I asked him, "What's wrong with the $17 one?"  His reply, "You have to splice the wires - and they're fiber optic."  Me, "Yeah, that's OK, I can manage to save $40."

I walked out of there with the $17 sensor, and spliced it into my car's wiring harness - simple crimp connector on copper wire.

Yep, thats the way they are trained, quote lowest to highest (good to best) price over the phone to get someone in the door, then, in store, highest to lowest (best to good) now that you are actually there to spend some money. As for the fiber optic thing,,,,,,thats just ridiculous.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »

That's a great deal on an o2 sensor ! If I may make one suggestion - rather than use the crimp connector ,solder the connection and seal it with heat shrink tubing . The exact voltage is critical in the eyes (eyes?) of the ECU ,and a little corrosion on that connection can give an incorrect response and throw a code.
AMHIK .
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
Back when I had my tundra I went in to advanced auto for some oil and a filter. I asked the parts guy for a filter for a 05 tundra. He pecks away on his key board for a while and finally says.... I am not showing a ford tundra....I look at his shirt and see Manager under his name. I stood there for a second trying to wrap my mind around the idea that he thinks its a ford. I finally tell him its a toyota and he punches a few buttons on his keyboard and walks away without saying anything to get my filter.
The bad thing is a little while later I went back for spark plugs and the same guy is there and the exact same thing happens. lol

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:38 AM »
 I did a frame off restoration on a WWII jeep. When asked at parts counters, "What vehicle?", I'd always have to tell them, "You don't have it, trust me." They'd ask anyway so I'd tell them, "It's a 1945 Ford GPW."...........yeah.....I told you so."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »
That's a great deal on an o2 sensor ! If I may make one suggestion - rather than use the crimp connector ,solder the connection and seal it with heat shrink tubing . The exact voltage is critical in the eyes (eyes?) of the ECU ,and a little corrosion on that connection can give an incorrect response and throw a code.
AMHIK .
It came with a nice piece of heat shrink tubing, and I used some dielectric grease to keep the connection from corroding.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157