Author Topic: What not to do: in pictures  (Read 10739 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What not to do: in pictures
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 05:01:10 AM »
 :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 05:11:37 AM »
Unfortunately, that's nearly exactly what I saw except..............................................................he wasn't alone.   :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 05:21:22 AM »
Did you wave?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:46 AM »
Comes around a corner.
"Ooh, there's the camera guy, gotta wave!"
Wave.
Smile.
Wave.
Wave.
"O crap, CURVE! Must lever the tiller handle without haste."

Rick

When I clicked on the link it started somewhere in the middle.  When I cycled around and started with picture #1 I got a full understanding of the mistake the guy made.  He looked at the camera instead of looking where he wanted to go.  He paid dearly for it and if he would have just gone off the road I'd say he got what he asked for, but he took out an innocent person in the process who now has to live with this wreck for the rest of his life.

There are people who own motorcycles who should not be riding motorcycles, just like there are people driving cars who should not have licenses. 

Tail of the Dragon is overrated and attracts too many crazies.  I have ridden it on several occasions and have seen many cars and bikes come across the yellow line.  I will stick to the white line when I ride that road and I only ride it because it takes me to other roads I want to ride without 100 mile detours. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:13 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 06:08:29 AM »
Rich, I can control my riding abilities, for the most part.  I can't control others.  The Dragon has become a circus and the amount of idiots riding it has increased inordinately.  There are much better roads with less traffic in that scenic area that are far safer to ride than the Dragon.  In fact, I would rather ride the DC beltway during rush hour than the Dragon at peak idiot time.   The last time I was on it was with my wife.  Her reaction was 'Is this it?'.  She wasn't impressed based on our past rides elsewhere in the region.  Quite frankly, that road isn't worth my time of day or loss of my sanity worrying about the squids, being held up by cruiser riders riding in parade, race cars, and big fat guys riding with scooters implanted in their asses.

Have been to the area 3 times in the last decade and have yet to visit the Dragon... Skyway yes, BRPW yes, Forest Service Roads with banjo music yes, Dragon no....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
2 great jokes and all I get is ignored for some fat  dude on a scoot!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »
 :) A picture is worth a thousand words.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
2 great jokes and all I get is ignored for some fat  dude on a scoot!

Where did you say those great jokes were Chet?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
Where did you say those great jokes were Chet?    ;)
The best was "Watch this" ;D  If that isn't in the great category I'm buying what he was riding, er, crashing :(

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
Wow.  I always try not to be mean or comment on others misfortune.  But....

This reminds me of anyone who tells me they have been riding for 40 years but it is obvious they have just been driving to the bar on weekends for 40 years to meet their other just as qualified friends.  I sent this link to all of my riding friends (unless they are already on the forum).  I'm hoping the less skilled can learn from it by just seeing what can happen in a split second.  I bet those pictures cover all of 3 seconds.  As noted above and various ways by others, he stared at the camera too long then fixated on the Vette.  He actually straightened up and ran exactly where he was looking.  That is what is supposed to happen.  At a minimum he could have maybe just side-swiped the car if he just kept turning.  He might have even made it thru without impacting.  He however, did pretty much everything wrong.  I just have a feeling he was just way out of his element.  It is almost comical.  I'm sure he is still in pain but will probably heal up nicely.  At least he had some layers on.  What sucks is his bike is totaled (notice the front wheel flying away) and he did some serious damage to some insuspecting guy driving an expensive car.  It would seem he did not get injured.  I bet the car was towed away and had $20k in damage.  I brought up the fact to my friends that I carry a $50k property damage and not the $25k state minimum on my insurance.  That could even be too low.  Today's cars are getting expensive.  Also, the worst thing for him was it was all caught on camera.  At least this would benefit the guy in the Vette.

Hey, but what do I know?  He might have just got his license last week for his first motorcycle and doesn't know any better.  That's why I try to keep my mouth shut (but can't).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
That's why I try to keep my mouth shut (but can't).

You're in the right place, then. ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
I tell ya, that's just funny.  Thanks for noticing these pictures - they made my day!  Here's what my cousin in Vegas just emailed me back:

"What a fool. Looks like he was in lala land."
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
To his credit, in pic #21, he almost stuck the landing, almost.   lol

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
In frame #11 do you notice the existing rubber on the road just left of his tire? Seems like he's not the first to be distracted by the camera man. A good(?) lawyer might make a case against the photographer.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »
In frame 10 it looks like he is at max lean, nearly touching the hard parts. If you watch as it goes on towards the Vette, there is no brakelight until 17, and at that point he is microseconds away from impact. It does look like he could have crammed the bars down and avoided impact if he had done it back at 13 or so.  The lack of clearance is the reason I have zero interest in riding a cruiser. I hope the dude had insurance.........
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
It's interesting what appears to have happened to the front wheel.  It disintegrated into just the rim and tire, with all the internals sheared away.  I guess it's not designed to be a bumper. ;)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
Thanks for that link, Tony.  Did you scroll down to the link the 'Vette drive posted where he put the pics together into a short video?  Makes it easier to understand.  Also, if his post-crash self quote is accurate, then he's one of the calmest, most forgiving people on the road.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.