Author Topic: What not to do: in pictures  (Read 10740 times)

Offline gpzrocker

What not to do: in pictures
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: What not to do: in pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
Ouch.................

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
Yet another reason I won't ride it again...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
Yet another reason I won't ride it again...

why?
do you make a habit of crossing the centerline, totally out of control, and expecting it to be acceptable?
sorry, but that dork shouldn't be on ANY ROAD, let alone 129.

that retard was being DOUCHe for the 9 photos preceding the center line crossing.....go back and look  http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK01AY080008&po=8&pc=28

"hey y'all....looky here, I'm waving to the camera dude.......yep, I'm coming into a blind r/h turn hot, waving at the camera dude, toatally upright, and staring at the camera dude.........yep........oooooops......"

I feel sorry for the Vette owner, and if it was my car, I would have walked over and flicked my bic on his bike..... ::) then kicked him in the nutz.

oh, I have waived to the cam dude, and actually gave him the "ADV Salute" on the very same turn, 2 up, and didn't wreck  http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2863713730015463693SnhUBP
......what a douchebag....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline pistole

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
- looks like he ran out of cornering clearance ... and was unlucky (or lucky) that it was a vette on the opposite side and not a lorry.

- going past the median (double yellow , this) is a big no for roads like this. Actually , try not to even ride near the median.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »
- looks like he ran out of cornering clearance ... and was unlucky (or lucky) that it was a vette on the opposite side and not a lorry.

no, he ran out of common sense.....
but likely he didn't have any to bgin with....
actually WE are unlucky it wasn't a Lorry.....the dude will probably do this again, and he could take out one of my friends and fellow COG'rs in that corner....
Darwin-ism is a GOOD thing....lets just keep that in mind. ::) ::) ::)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Well who the heck pee'd in your Cheerios Capt Sunshine?  ::)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »
Pure and simple target fixation.  Notice when he hit the brakes?  See his bike straighten up as he approached?  I wonder if he was muttering "Watch this" as he waved at the camera? 8)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
Well who the heck pee'd in your Cheerios Capt Sunshine?  ::)
heheheheh
I am alive, and can say on 3 occaisions, had that same dude cross the c/l on my on the dragon....him or some other challenged relative of his.... :nuts:
luckily I had my wits about me, and survived ;D ;) :rotflmao: :thumbs:

all good, just don't want folks to think he didn't deserve the outcome.

again, Darwin-ism. :thumbs: :hail: :deadhorse: :stirpot:

... I wonder if he was muttering "Watch this" as he waved at the camera? 8)
yep....but more like "looky here, hey dude.....hey dude....HEY DUDE....LOOKY HERE.....aw $#!+...."

not uncommon, same mind set usually starts out with "hey dude, hold my beer, and watch this....." ::) 8) ;)

Offline pistole

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
Pure and simple target fixation.  Notice when he hit the brakes?  See his bike straighten up as he approached?

- perhaps it starts with too hot an entry speed (showboating for the camera man).

- then he finds that he's run out of cornering clearance.

- stands the bike up and applies the brakes.

- too late as the car is there already.

- the "stand the bike up to brake" is actually taught to riders somewhere when dealing with going into a corner too hot.

- not too sure that its such a great idea though.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »
sumpin comes to mind about "look where you want your front tire to go to".... ::) ;D and "point your chin to a spot 100 feet from you, where you want to be in 2 seconds"... :o 8)

Offline pistole

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »
no, he ran out of common sense.....

- seriously , all of us have probably done what he did there. Just different consequences depending on our luck.

- its the learning from mistakes and training how to deal with things like these which separates the old riders from the bold riders.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »
- perhaps it starts with too hot an entry speed (showboating for the camera man).

- then he finds that he's run out of cornering clearance.

- stands the bike up and applies the brakes.

- too late as the car is there already.

- the "stand the bike up to brake" is actually taught to riders somewhere when dealing with going into a corner too hot.

- not too sure that its such a great idea though.

I'm purely speculatin here, but I really doubt he was think about standing the bike up.  No doubt his line was all wrong and I'd bet that sudden grinding sound and greasy feeling contributed to the impending flight lesson.  This was the outcome of showboatin, maybe he mistook the headlight for a camera?  "Smile, Darwin is waiting" ;)

Offline pistole

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
- short personal story : i remember when i just started riding many years back. A good friend who's an experienced rider gave me a bit of advice : "things happen very fast on a bike".

- cut to now : just take a look at those couple of photos. See how quick the situation changes from a nice exciting dive into a corner to flying off your bike into the unknown.

- ride safe !

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
- seriously , all of us have probably done what he did there. Just different consequences depending on our luck.

- its the learning from mistakes and training how to deal with things like these which separates the old riders from the bold riders.

bwaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaa.......
there is no such thing as luck.....it's karma. :battle:
in his case, it was a failure. :banghead: :deadhorse:
and MOST of us have not done what HE did, because we can still walk without crutches. :thumbs: :hail:
Old is just a relative thing....I'm old. But younger than a lot of riders I know....that still can walk.....and have not run cross center into a Corvette....ON FILM>>>>>> :nuts: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

bold riders don't last long.....

but you are right, I'm sure he learned a LOT from that mistake..... :'(

- short personal story : i remember when i just started riding many years back. A good friend who's an experienced rider gave me a bit of advice : "things happen very fast on a bike".

- cut to now : just take a look at those couple of photos. See how quick the situation changes from a nice exciting dive into a corner to flying off your bike into the unknown.

- ride safe !

there are 9 frames being shot prior to his demise, and 3 from on course to crash.....the cam was rolling....he just puked.
yes things happen fast......don't wave at camera's in a blind right turn.....
I noted above, with a photo, that I had time to flip off the cam dude in that same turn.... no crash. ;)

Offline pistole

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
- am aspiring to be a better rider all the time. Am just hoping the lessons learnt are remembered and mistakes made are not fatal.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »
Comes around a corner.
"Ooh, there's the camera guy, gotta wave!"
Wave.
Smile.
Wave.
Wave.
"O crap, CURVE! Must lever the tiller handle without haste."

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline cmoore

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 04:50:11 AM »
Yea, he made a basic mistake and paid the price. A good lesson here for all of us.  The guy freaked and stood the bike up. The rest is history. When things go to crap on a motorcycle they go to crap real fast.  We must be focused at all times when riding.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
Rich, I can control my riding abilities, for the most part.  I can't control others.  The Dragon has become a circus and the amount of idiots riding it has increased inordinately.  There are much better roads with less traffic in that scenic area that are far safer to ride than the Dragon.  In fact, I would rather ride the DC beltway during rush hour than the Dragon at peak idiot time.   The last time I was on it was with my wife.  Her reaction was 'Is this it?'.  She wasn't impressed based on our past rides elsewhere in the region.  Quite frankly, that road isn't worth my time of day or loss of my sanity worrying about the squids, being held up by cruiser riders riding in parade, race cars, and big fat guys riding with scooters implanted in their asses.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:58:37 AM »
Yea, he made a basic mistake and paid the price. A good lesson here for all of us.  The guy freaked and stood the bike up. The rest is history. When things go to crap on a motorcycle they go to crap real fast.  We must be focused at all times when riding.

Terrible thing about the convertible driver as well, eh?  Don't think he was expecting that, either.