Author Topic: Rear tire  (Read 5645 times)

Offline mrwog

• Be well and safe
Rear tire
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
Just curious
Has anyone run a 140-90-16 on the rear and a 100-90-18 up front
And if so what was the outcome. N
some people are like Slinky's good for nothing but still fun when tossed down stairs

Offline mrwog

• Be well and safe
Re: Rear tire
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »
Posted this before I was done, don't know how I did that.
Not saying I wish to do this I'm just curios if anyone has done that combo?

Also I see Shinko makes a Tourmaster front tire in a 150-80-16 but not in a rear tire. Now I have never thought of this till now nor do I know the answer.
Is there that much if any difference in construction between the front and rear tires in that size???
Just tossing this out for conversation
some people are like Slinky's good for nothing but still fun when tossed down stairs

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »
Interesting question. What would be the difference between a front or rear tire? If it says front tire but is the size of the rear, does it really matter?

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
That question should open a big can of worms.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:54 PM »
Rear usually has more tread depth, may be a different compound, different (flatter) shape
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
Excellent question for the Winter thinking season.
I would only be concerned about the weight bearing of the 140 and the 100, our Connies are a touch heavy when filled with go juice and the way some of us pack them down.
Now if you don't hit the twisties, don't load her up for a long weekend, and stay pretty much straight up and down, I can't see how a those sizes could hurt.
I personally have no desire to go down in sizes, but to each his or her own.
My $.02 worth.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 02:28:36 PM »
mrwog,

What are you looking for with this mod?  Quicker turn in?  After 40 years on motorcycles, I value stability in bad weather, on rough pavement, and over bumps and tar snakes and cracks more.  And I change my own, so I am looking for the longest mileage possible.  It is a big, heavy motorcycle, and it will never feel light and nimble.  Wrong bike for that. 

I went the opposite direction.  130/70R18 (rear) in the front.  175/78R16 in the back.  Over 15,000 miles and still way more than half of the tread left.

Narrower should give you quicker, and those sizes should work ok.  But what do I know?  YMMV.
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
>>>SNIP<<< I went the opposite direction.   175/78R16 in the back.  Over 15,000 miles and still way more than half of the tread left.

And what's the brand, cost & who did you order it from.  Have you got any pics of it mounted on your bike & the swing-arm/sidewall clearance?
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
And what's the brand, cost & who did you order it from.  Have you got any pics of it mounted on your bike & the swing-arm/sidewall clearance?

:stirpot:

:popcorn: :popcorn:
'02 C-10

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:01:45 AM »
Is that stuff you are stirring for the popcorn? 

Anyway...Austone ordered from Universal Tire in PA.  $143 shipped.  I like to go long miles, often including lots of curves.  Live at 6000' in the mountains, so every ride starts with at least 15 miles of great mountain roads.

Pics in the morning.  Clearance is VERY tight.  I had to trim the rubber flap hoosker to get up to ZERO clearance.  Do I like it?  I have a second one in the garage...

saxman
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
Uhh...yeah...that's what it's for... ;)
'02 C-10

Offline Leo

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
The directional arrows on the tire reveal the direction in which the carcass reinforcement is biased to accept the loads.   The rear tire has the most sustained loads with the tire being pulled forward by the engine.  Braking the rear tire is less stress and shorter periods of time.   The front tire is the opposite.  Forward motion has the tire just spinning with almost no rotational torque stress, but braking is a very intense strain on the front tire carcass.   The design of the cords is to be installed in the strongest position.     If you have a reason to install a front tire on back, or a rear tire on front, make sure to install them so the rotation arrow is in the wrong (opposite) direction. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
I went the opposite direction.  130/70R18 (rear) in the front.  175/78R16 in the back.  Over 15,000 miles and still way more than half of the tread left.

Do what?  I hope thats an error....
Say what?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »
Popcorn, anyone?
'02 C-10

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
BTW, I figured its a car tire, but have never seen a 78 series tire before.....was it 75?  80?  Something else? 

And Im not fond of car tires, but thats why I dont run them....to each his own...lots of guys on my old VTX forum swear by them. 
Say what?

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Dunlop or Austone?  I'm tempted to try the Austone, since I've got 2 rear wheels laying around.  Wife would probably kill me after all the campaigning I did to get approval for the meanie rear if I like it.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
Uglydog, Austone.  See previous post.

Leo, you state the argument well, BUT the tires are better now.  That used to be important, but a long time ago the tire manufacturers learned to bond the carcass plies together better and the braking shear stresses are nowhere near enough to cause delamination.

Those are just "old engineers' tales" at this point.  Yes, I have references.  Start with this one:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/safercar/pdf/PneumaticTire_HS-810-561.pdf

Yes, it is *comprehensive*.  But it is full of data, not half-remembered stories.

Lodogg, you are possibly showing your age...old guys remember when ALL tires were 78 series, and before that when ALL tires were 80 series, and before THAT...you get the idea. 
Yes, we are talking about car tires here, folks.  As the GF says, "Don't be alarmed...but...somebody put a car tire on your motorcycle..."

No, that is not a *typographical* error.  Some folks would call it a much worse type of error.  I am so fond of it, I am looking into importing some narrow series 16s myself, since they are hard to come by in North America, but plentiful in lots of other places. 

I promised photos.  Soon I will brave the freezing winds and get some.  Long ride this weekend, and the red girl needs packing and the usual pre-ride prep.  Back at you with photos.

Oh, yes.  The *disclaimer*:  DO NOT DO THIS!  Only run tires personally blessed by Mama Kaw or her licensed and fully certified agents.  NEVER run unapproved gear!  NEVER install tires backwards, or on the wrong end of the machine!  Your (former) friends will look away in shame, and refuse to be seen in your presence!  The splines will dry up and fail due to the much longer tire change intervals!  Gasoline dealers will curse your name, as the 5% larger tire will reduce your engine speed and increase your fuel mileage a few %!  Unimaginably BAD things happen to those who dare to gaze upon unapproved gear, and worse things to those who install such unapproved gear!   If you are still reading, it may already be too late!!!!!!! Even more of these !!!!!!!!

Seriously, there is a great deal of heated debate on the CT topic.  Search "Dark Side" for some links if you want to read some of it.  MOST of the anti-CT comments come from folks who have never ridden on one.  Typically, they reply with righteous indignation when pressed for the source of their "expertise".  IT IS JUST WRONG, or something like that, is the usual defense. 

Some folks who try a CT seem to still be running them.  Some folks do not like the CT and off it comes.  I am not selling anything, either literally or figuratively.  I approached this like any other scientific research question would be approached.  Flame away if you wish.  But have an actual  argument, not just noise, please.  I have data, and so do lots of other folks.

saxman
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Well said saxman...while I must say that CTs are not for me...it isn't for the reason many people might think...I mean...gee whiz!  Did you see the chicken strips on my Shinko???  I remember back when car radials first were introduced...and, yes, I remember 78 series tires...but, the rap on radials was they were dangerous...you could easily get into a corner (or curve) over your head...and there was no saving it if you were on radials!  At least, that's what the old guys told me...and I believed 'em...I wonder what ever became of those guys?  I'm kinda thinking they're rocking radials now...if they're still driving... ;)

'02 C-10

Offline Tele130

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
 ;D. I grew up in Akron Ohio. My Dad worked for B.F. Goodrich for 43 years. When radials first hit the market, my Dad put them on both our vehicles and his boat trailer............and never looked back.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
Sorry, the post above is a little off topic.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!