Author Topic: Serious consideration....1986 Concours...whaddya think?  (Read 8805 times)

Offline LessPaul

Serious consideration....1986 Concours...whaddya think?
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
Greetings all!

Brand new to this forum...hoping for some (subjective) input.

I'm getting back into riding after a lengthy haitus. I rode in my 20s (I'm 58 now)...rode the wheels off my original CB350, and my brother's Suzuki 750 water buffalo frequently. When I got married, the new wife dug her heels in on my continuing my riding days. My 22 year old son also has owned mopeds and motorcycles for several years and we wrench on them together. Fast forward to a couple months ago when my wife unexpected volunteered that she'd be okay with my owning a bike again. My brother (who usually has half a dozen bikes in his possession at any given time) has been on me to pull the trigger.

I'm looking for a significant sport/touring bike with fairing and reasonably upright riding position. Found a 1987 Concours on CL about an hour away from me. 27K actual miles, recent new tires, tuneup, valve adjustment, a few extras. Looks to be in wonderful shape. He wants $2,000 for it.

Looks to be a pretty fair deal, also given that the riding season is over in West Michigan.

Here's the listing:  http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4164205368.html

Input? Opinions?

Thanx a ton!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:51:17 AM by LessPaul »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Serious consideration....1986 Concours...whaddya think?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Being as it is currently being ridden it is probably a good deal.  Sitting bikes can be very expensive to get back on the road.  Look in the tank for signs of rust as this leads to carb problems down the road.  The price is a little high I think (IMHO), but it does have a lot of farkles (extras).  Maybe offer $1,500 cash and see what happens.  from 1986 thru 2006 the only main mechanical difference is how many miles are on the bike.  There was a front end and dash upgrade for 1994 models.

They are top heavy so make sure you are prepared for it before you just take off on a test drive.  They are worse just as you are preparing to stop.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:16 AM »
It's probably safe to assume that a 28 yo motorcycle with
only 27K miles hasn't seen a lot of maintenance.
Age as well as use factor into the service life of most components.
Be aware you may be opening a Pandora's Box of neglected upkeep.

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »
Thanx, gentlemen.

Low miles is good, but too low makes me wonder as well. I suspect it has a number of years in its past where it went unused, or only very, very lightly. 27K on a 10 year old bike would still be on the low side. But this was apparently the guy's commuter bike for 5 years, and it certainly looks well cared for.  I would think/hope that any little-use issues have been addressed.

I'll learn more when I take a look this weekend.

I get the top-heavy part. Seems to be a frequent comment/complaint. I'm sure I'll have a period of adjustment.

Bergmen

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
It all depends on how well it has been taken care of. I bought a 1985 Honda Nighthawk S in 1986 and just sold it a couple of years ago. It looked as near to brand new as one can get even though it sat unused (and covered) in my garage for many years. I kept the float bowls drained and discarded the worn out battery. Replaced with new battery, spiffied it up and out it went.

Dan

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »
When you described yourself, you described a lot of us.
and,,,, Being Connie Riders, some of us might be interested in an 86, just because it's an 86.
So, your talking to the right crowd.

If you look a bit, you could easily find a Connie in the 2000-2006 that is within $1000/$1500 of the price your looking at.

That said; this bike looks very clean. So it must have been garage kept.
Whomever rode it, added comfort Farkles, not shiny gidgets.
So, it may be a good deal.
If you do buy the bike,,,,, let us know, and we'll give you info to help you do any reapirs you think are needed.

Ride safe, Ted

PS:        COG is putting on our Club 25 Anniversary National this year. (Tennessee)
       We would really like to see as many 86 Connies there as possible. (Hint, hint)

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »
Thanx, guys. All great input.  ;D

I also have the advantage of picking my brother's brain. He's owned a ton of bikes over the years and likes a lot of what I like. He came close to buying one of these a year ago and has nothing but good things to say about them. Once I dove into the Connies a bit, I quickly became enamored with the idea of owning one myself.

All that aside, I'm just floored my wife unit did such a voluntary turnabout. I think my son kinda ran interference for me. She figured if she could accept her 22 year old son riding a hard tail V-twin chopper, she could get over me having something to ride.

I have plans to convert her to passenger status as well.  8)   I figure one ride to Lake Michigan down the back roads on a warm summer day, and she'll be all in.

shenandoahvalley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
I'm pretty new here so keep that in mind but I would try to negotiate the price a bit.  I know price can be influenced by many factors such as area, number of similar bikes for sale, time of year, a multitude of bike related factors, etc. but I just paid $2800 for an '06 with 31K miles.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
An education link. This guy is spot on.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust

Disclaimer: I know and ride with Steve.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »
As an owner of two 86's, I know the bike can be just fine despite the years. I do think the price is pretty optimistic though and would agree with a $1500 offer, or even less. There will be things to fix and upgrade....you just don't know what they will be yet. Of course, that's true with any used bike. Hey, if you get it, bring it down to next years COG national rally in Tennesee! We are expecting a bunch of original year bikes for a photo opp.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:09 AM »
Talked with the owner last nite. Settled on $1700, providing I like what I see when I take a look this Saturday.

I'm happy with that. $1700 seems pretty good for a big sport/tourer with plenty of goodies and low miles.

I know if I was willing to throw $3,000 at it, I could get one with equivalent miles and 10 years old. But I'm just getting back into this, with a wife that's only grudgingly okay the idea. If I can get back into it with a bike and riding gear for $2K, that sounds like a plan to me.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
>>SNIP<< If I can get back into it with a bike and riding gear for $2K, that sounds like a plan to me.

Plus, that'll give you some xtra funds to join in the Michigan R-t-E's next year with us here in the "Mitt"! ;D
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline BobCT

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Knowing what I have learned on the forum I wouldn't buy one without doing the bent rod test caused by a previous hydrolock event.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
LessPaul,,,, I didn't see where anyone suggested a very important item to spend a few $$ on.
Before/when/after you get it,,,, join the COG!
You won't regret it.
Great folks!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Dean.....when and where for the MI event?  I'm in Grand Rapids.

Thanks to all for the comments. Good bunch here.   8)

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Dean.....when and where for the MI event?  I'm in Grand Rapids.  Thanks to all for the comments. Good bunch here.   8) 

There was no "defined" R-t-E schedule in the past, but that may change with the coming year.  Usually it was on the 3rd wknd of the month, starting in April & alternating on saturday & Sunday. During the last year or two, it's been hit-n-miss at best... One of the recurring events that quite a few west-side riders have been attending is the annual Stockbridge, Mi "All Brands" day in mid-Sept....

• We have been to the Clifford Lake Inn in Stanton a couple of times & IIRC, we had a gathering & ride from the Common Ground "Biker Church" on Fulton St. with the ride taking in the sights around Gun Lake about 2-3 times ;D, but I won't say who the ride leader was :-X
  • Deep fried hot-dogs were consumed at the Salty Dog in Jonesville
  • a great turkey dinner was enjoyed at "Turkeyville" in Marshall
  • Back in '05, we had a "Sunrise-to-Sunset" ride, watching the sunrise thru a break in cloud cover at the Port Austin pier, then riding thru a nasty thunderstorm which lasted a good 1.5 hrs., made our way over to Teecro's home near St.Joe , where we feasted on good bbq. Come to think of it, we never did head over to the big lake to see the sunset, about 3 miles away, due to serious cloud cover...
  • The Irish Hills area has also been the basis for more than a couple of R-t-E's as well
  • I've also been known to host a few events into the abyss south of us also known as Ohio ;D

Just keep tabs on all both of the Concours Forums for last-minute gatherings...

ALSO, please feel free to host an event.  Drop the new AAD, Stan Visser(aka: Stasch) a note & post it up here, stating; What, Where, When, & What Time......   by the way, does Rosies Diner in Rockford have group seating, wink, wink, nudge, nudge??? ;)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:07:27 PM by DeansZG »

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
Unfortunately, Rosie's Diner is no more. It was about 5 miles north of where I live.

And....the Concours I was looking at is no longer under "serious consideration."

It's now parked in my garage.  ;D

I'm amped!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
 :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
Unfortunately, Rosie's Diner is no more. It was about 5 miles north of where I live.

And....the Concours I was looking at is no longer under "serious consideration."

It's now parked in my garage.  ;D

I'm amped!

Way to go! :thumbs:

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
No way to ride it before buying. 5" of snow on the ground when I arrived to check it out. But I was pretty confident after seeing it. Took my brother (lifetime rider) with me. He gave it the thumbs-up, and that was good enough for me.

Once I got some dry pavement to work with on Sunday, I was able to get it out for a thorough run-thru. Measured up just fine.

....just in time to winterize and put it under wraps until spring. Now I have all winter to shop riding gear and whatnot.