Author Topic: Bent Key, 2011 C14  (Read 9738 times)

Offline mvjr1904

Bent Key, 2011 C14
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
I used the ignition key to unlock the gas cap. After refueling, the key would not come out of the gas cap. Either, while pressing down and twisting the key to open the gas cap or pushing down to close it, I guess that is when the key got bent. I got the key out and it was visually bent.  I straightened it out and put it back in the ignition and tried to turned the key. The key wouldn’t turn and I couldn’t remove it. Of course this all happened while I’m on my way to work and running late. I “jimmied” the key and it finally turned to the “on” position. I got to work and told Security to keep an eye on my bike. Long story short, I took it to the dealer and they were able to remove the key. Diagnosis – bent key.
Because the key does not sit all the way down in the gas cap or saddle bags, possibly bending the key will always be a problem (at least for me). Anyone else have this issue? I will scan the forum for possible solutions.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline galaxieman

Re: Bent Key, 2011 C14
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
I had a problem with the key not wanting to 'return to center' on closing the gas tank.. a couple squirts of WD-40 in the sides where the locking 'wedges' come out of the bottom of the cap, and a couple more into the lock mechanism itself... and voila!  No more issues.  Not a problem I've had on any of my previous bikes, but not too difficult to resolve before it becomes a serious problem.  Good to hear they got you squared away, hopefully someone else will see this and take some pre-emptive actions to prevent it. 
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
This is exactly why a good many of us do not use the 'stove knob' key to do anything but turn the bike on. We never even remove said key from the ignition. I had an extra key made just for use on the gashole and the bags/seat. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Canada44

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
I have never removed the stove knob key from the bike.  I always use the key in the FOB to open tank and bags.

2010 ABS C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
You can remove the key?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
I had a problem with the key not wanting to 'return to center' on closing the gas tank.. a couple squirts of WD-40 in the sides where the locking 'wedges' come out of the bottom of the cap, and a couple more into the lock mechanism itself... and voila!  No more issues.  Not a problem I've had on any of my previous bikes, but not too difficult to resolve before it becomes a serious problem.  Good to hear they got you squared away, hopefully someone else will see this and take some pre-emptive actions to prevent it.

Don't use WD-40, it will just cause more dirt to accumulate. Get some powdered graphite and use that on all your locks. It is the preferred lube for locks. I have used it on my C14's locks since I got it and have had no issues. I use the stove knob key for everything, it slides in and out very easily.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
You can remove the key?

I don't think so, I suspect they're just messin' with the noobs.  My key hasn't ever been out either  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »
The solution is to have a key made and do the gas cap mod...

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
Don't use WD-40, it will just cause more dirt to accumulate. Get some powdered graphite and use that on all your locks. It is the preferred lube for locks. I have used it on my C14's locks since I got it and have had no issues. I use the stove knob key for everything, it slides in and out very easily.
+1

Graphite, powdered or spray is the best thing for locks.  WD-40 is only a temporary fix.  You can clean w/ WD-40, then lube, but even then other cleaners might work as well or better.

As to the bent stove key:  Insert key fully, then turn.  If you meet any resistance, you're doing it wrong, or their is a problem.  With a hammer, anvil, and perhaps a punch, it is usually possible to straighten a key almost back to original specs.  If you are as impatient with the hammer as you were with the key when you bent it, if may not turn out well.  I've been using the Ignition key in the bags and tank for almost 5 years.  I learned my lesson the first time I bent the key, and it has worked fine in all 5 locks since straightening it.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Only 53000 miles and I always use the intended key to open the Gashole.  Why would I bypass the awesome nature of KIPASS and dig in a pocket or tankbag for a key when I have a perfectly functioning key at my finger tips?  I do push on the cap and not the key when closing the Gashole.

BTW, did I just hear Steve bad mouth KIPASS?  His is sure to fail on his next trip, he better buy a Susuki, FJR, or maybe an ST1300 ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Only 53000 miles and I always use the intended key to open the Gashole.  Why would I bypass the awesome nature of KIPASS and dig in a pocket or tankbag for a key when I have a perfectly functioning key at my finger tips?  I do push on the cap and not the key when closing the Gashole.

BTW, did I just hear Steve bad mouth KIPASS?  His is sure to fail on his next trip, he better buy a Susuki, FJR, or maybe an ST1300 ;D

No sir I didn't bad mouth KiPass, I just leave the stove key in the stove  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
No sir I didn't bad mouth KiPass, I just leave the stove key in the stove  :D
Between the bowing and wordsmithing I would ad in 10 Hail Marys ;)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
I bent my first key by accident. I was at a gas station getting ready to fuel up when I hit it with my arm/elbow while fiddling with my gloves and glasses. It never worked the same afterwards. After paying the dealer ~$30.00 for a replacement, I figured it would be advantageous to have a spare key made and modify the gas cap so that it didn't need a key to close it. My helmet lock and trunk both use different keys, so I't not like I can get away from using keys anyways.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
I believe that modification is here in case someone hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gascapmod
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
Stove key is made of butter, leave it where it belongs IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Saw the Fred H mod.  Not clear what this accomplishes?  Can the gas cap be closed w/o the key? Can someone explain the obvious?
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 10:07:21 AM »
Saw the Fred H mod.  Not clear what this accomplishes?  Can the gas cap be closed w/o the key? Can someone explain the obvious?

Yes, you can close the cap on the gashole without a key after this mod.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
How do we get it open?

Offline mike

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
How do we get it open?

That requires another mod.