Author Topic: Corbin Warranty?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline scgoan

Corbin Warranty?
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
I purchased a Corbin trunk in the summer of 2009. I'm now starting to see several cracks in the paint. At least one crack seems to be structural in nature. Before calling Corbin, I decided to take the trunk to a fiberglass professional to get his opinion. He felt that the severe cracks in the fiberglass near the base of the trunk where it attaches to the rack are indicative of a structural defect. Both of those cracks are at the exact location on either side of the trunk. I have never over loaded this trunk. As you can see in the pictures there are many cracks in this trunk. The warranty for the paint is only 1 year, however, the warranty for the fiberglass is lifetime.  I love this trunk and I'm hoping Corbin takes care of me. Has anyone had a similar issue with Corbin.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Corbin Warranty?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
When did the damage happen? Just recently?

If it were any of my Corbin products I would call them ASAP at first signs, it aint cheap stuff.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »
Well, the first cracks on the lid I noticed a year after I purchased the trunk. I suspected those cracks were not covered under the warranty, because I couldn't prove they were fiberglass related. Then, in December, I noticed another crack above the brake light that was in a "U" shape. I called Corbin and they basically told me it probably wouldn't be covered because the crack appeared to be in the paint and not the fiberglass. So I contacted Techspech and had them make a couple custom pieces to cover up the cracks instead of shipping the trunk to Corbin just to have them deny my claim. Finally, last week I noticed these large cracks in the back underside that are certainly structural.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »
I just purchased a used Corbin and there are no cracks in that area on either side.  It does have thin cracks in the paint on the underside and a very small crack above the left armrest.  I hope the mods Phil made for me assist with support as it moved the center of gravity a little forward.  Corbin customer service is HORRIBLE, let me repeat HORRIBLE.  I refused to pay 900 due to that fact and took a chance on a used one.  It is very comfortable for my wife but knowing what I do now I would probably have had a local upholstery guy make me a custom backrest for the Give E55.   I feel in the end I will end up going back to the Givi if mine develops these cracks as I will not put 500.00 in a restoration.  Here is what mine has as well as the new position.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
Good luck with Corbin's "Customer Care"
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »
Good luck with Corbin's "Customer Care"

+1...Good Luck...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:51:06 AM by CRocker »
'02 C-10

Offline scgoan

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
So far, Corbin has been very responsive to my warranty claim. After seeing the pictures that I sent to Corbin, the representative agreed to inspect the trunk further. They would like me to package the trunk up and send it to them for further inspection. Corbin wants to make sure that I haven't been involved in some type of accident with the trunk, which is understandable.  I don't even have to pay the shipping, Fedex will drop off a call tag and pick it up the trunk at my place of work. Nice!  :D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
Cool!  :thumbs:

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
Those cracks look like those from a poorly done paint job. Either the paint isn't bonding to the sealer or they aren't including flex additives into the paint to allow for expansion and contraction of the fiberglass.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
So far, Corbin has been very responsive to my warranty claim. After seeing the pictures that I sent to Corbin, the representative agreed to inspect the trunk further. They would like me to package the trunk up and send it to them for further inspection. Corbin wants to make sure that I haven't been involved in some type of accident with the trunk, which is understandable.  I don't even have to pay the shipping, Fedex will drop off a call tag and pick it up the trunk at my place of work. Nice!  :D

That is great news!  I read the policy before buying used so I do not have to opportunity to do that.  Hopefully they send you a new one!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
Those cracks look like those from a poorly done paint job. Either the paint isn't bonding to the sealer or they aren't including flex additives into the paint to allow for expansion and contraction of the fiberglass.
That sounds reasonable.  I was going to JB Weld the cracks on the bottom of mine but decided not to do so due to what you just stated.  Any ideas on a product that I could use to keep the cracks from getting worse on the bottom of mine?  Thanks.

Offline alansides

• Spring has sprung
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 04:36:49 AM »
Corbin is junk and they will ignore all attempts to contact them. Worst $1000 ever spent. I wish I had gone with a Kawasaki or Givi top case but I went for looks to match the paniers. Lesson learned.

In 15,000 miles their trunk broke 3 hinges, the lid floated and gouged at the hinge points and the latch hates to stay latched.

Finally, the fiberglass underneath gave way and it wore into my grab rails before I caught it and finally took it off.

See pics of the bottom side attached:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 05:39:55 AM »
Wow, that is some serious damage!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc