Author Topic: I've decided to switch from liquid gasolne to vapors...  (Read 10374 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: I've decided to switch from liquid gasolne to vapors...
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
The early model was known for engine fires.  I seem to recall that the insurance rates for these vehicles went through the roof but I can't prove that as my memory is one of the least reliable things about me.

Language is a bit salty at times...

Fiero on Fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero

Feiro catches fire

I had a friend with a Meserati that this happened to. He was driving along, smells smoke, pulls over, gets out of the car and WOOF! It burst into flames.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Yep, Pontiac aptly named them. My nephew had one, couldn't keep engine bearings in it. The engine was tilted to one side but they failed to modify the oil pickup.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
I had some friends into installing V8s in them, and they were beasts.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
I had some friends into installing V8s in them, and they were beasts.

Big engine in a little car. Hey it worked for Carol Shelby.  8)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »
The rear end was basically the GM X-car front sub-frame and engine bolted to the rear of the Fiero. The front end was from the Chevette, which nobody would touch when you wanted the front end lined up as it would not hold alighnment. When it was decided to give it more power in the way of a V-6, which sounded like a good idea on paper, the weight gain from the V-6 negated any performance gains.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:20 AM »
Yesterday went out to the parking garage at work and right next to my C14 is a Fiero. Haven't seen one or even thought about one for a decade until this thread. It looked in new condition. Somebody really took care of it. Too bad GM didn't spend a little more time engineering it to perform as well as it looked.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
I ga ron tee the V6 was faster than the Iron Duke four. My nephew owned one.
A neighbor has a white Fiero.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
//
Carbs and injectors atomize fuel, not vaporize.
//

HAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

I ga ron tee you should not comment on technical subjects, friend.  Pretty funny, though.

On a serious note, Fuel isn't "atoms", but "molecules".  Assuming we agree on what the words mean.   Atom == the quantum of a single element.  Molecule == the smallest unit of a construction of multiple atoms, typically electrically neutral.  (H2O, C6H12O6, LiFePO4, etc.). 

You cannot "atomize" fuel...but you can "vaporize" it.  A carburetor or FI unit would be good for that.

Oh, and flame away...

saxman

P.S. The Iron Duke was pretty slow, even with the manual.  The V6 would have to be faster...
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
When the fuel goes through a carb or injector the fuel does not vaporize. It is small droplets. The Fordson tractor has a vapoizer in.line before the carb. If the carb vaporizes fuel why the need for a vaporizer? The fuel remains a liquid. Ever seen slo mo film of fuel going through an injector?
Atomization is a misnomer but it is used because the fuel is made into such small droplets.
If it was vaporized the liquid would go through a change of state but it doesnt. The cold mist vaporizers used in homes arent really vaporizers. They are atomizers like perfume sray bottles or the old bug sprayers. What comes out is actually a fine mist. The liquid doesnt go through a change of state into a gas but remains a liquid.
I suggest you dont comment on technical issues instead.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 06:34:03 AM »
Since when did we have a requirement to be a subject matter expert on anything here.....let me see......never.  I checked all the rules and...yep....no such rule.  Can someone reply with a differing explanation or opinion...absolutely.  We wouldn't have it any other way.  As long as we keep it civil....right?  And before this goes sideways...lets all think about that and have an extra special good morning with a nice breakfast and a good cup of joe (no flavors, just straight coffee).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »
Received this email the other day.
Can't find a link, thinking it might be a bit of a spoof.Subject: Fwd: FW: Modern Miracle.....

All I can say is, “WOW!”
What is this?
Will it be the next big thing?
Tata Motors of India thinks so.
What will the Oil Companies do to stop it?

It is an auto engine that runs on air.  That's right; air not gas or diesel or electric but just the air around us.  Take a look.

Tata Motors of India has scheduled the Air Car to hit Indian streets

The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy N. For Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air to push its engine's pistons and make the car go.

The Air Car, called the "Mini CAT" could cost around 365,757 rupees in India or $8,177 US.

The Mini CAT which is a simple, light urban car, with a tubular chassis, a body of fiberglass that is glued not welded and powered by compressed air.  A Microprocessor is used to control all electrical functions of the car.  One tiny radio transmitter sends instructions to the lights, turn signals and every other electrical device on the car.  Which are not many.

The temperature of the clean air expelled by the exhaust pipe is between 0-15 degrees below zero, which makes it suitable for use by the internal air conditioning system with no need for gases or loss of power.

There are no keys, just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket.  According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees per 100 KM, that's about a tenth the cost of a car running on gas.  It's mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car, a factor which makes it a perfect choice for city motorists.  The car has a top speed of 105 KM per hour or 60 mph and would have a range of around 300 km or 185 miles between refuels.  Refilling the car will take place at adapted gas stations with special air compressors.  A fill up will only take two to three minutes and costs approximately 100 rupees ($1.78 CAD!) and the car will be ready to go another 300 kilometers.

This car can also be filled at home with it's on board compressor.  It will take 3-4 hours to refill the tank, but it can be done while you sleep. 

Because there is no combustion engine, changing the 1 liter of vegetable oil is only necessary every 50,000 KM or 30,000 miles.
Due to its simplicity, there is very little maintenance to be done on this car.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »
It'll never sell I tell ya, never!  Although it is...

Wait for it...wait for it..................................................................................................wait for it...........................................

Spock - Fascinating!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »
That's....intriguing.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
Well, I really do hate to be the guy who keeps raining on everyone's parade regarding all these new, wonderful and (especially) mystical discoveries but..... I gots to do it in the name of [science, reality, physics, common sense]!

Compressed air is terribly inefficient. If this sub- sized 'car' (really a motorcycle as it has three wheels) is cheap to drive, it is because it is so tremendously underpowered, as well as small and light. But let's not confuse this with efficiency. If the whole thing was scaled up to power something that might pass DOT parameter and that we might drive in the US, the air compressor power source would be less than 1/2 as efficient as our current gasoline powered vehicles and have none of the unusual requirements (special fueling stations, incredibly clean, dry air, etc.).

Compressed air powered vehicles are in the 5% to 7% overall efficiency area, compared to gasoline powered vehicles which typically exhibit 14% or a bit more in overall efficiency. Then add in the inefficiency of generating the electricity that is used to compress the air (30% to 35%, and this is burning some of the dirtiest fuel uses- coal), the electrical transmission losses and finally, the compressor efficiency at the time of actually compressing the air.

And the idea that a compressed air powered 'anything' is clean because it does not use any fossil fuel is just silly- fossil fuel is what will compress the air, just as it is the source of electricity for electric cars. So for the tree huggers that would like to think this is all a step forward, just think, we are moving from a fairly dirty, non- US produced fossil fuel (gasoline) to a tremendously dirty, US produced fossil fuel (coal).

I think a much, much better idea [that failed as this one will] was the hydrogen powered car. At least that had the potential to yield something more efficient and cleaner than we are currently using. It still won't work because of practical reasons but at least it looked like it could work. Same thing with T. Boone Pickens drive (no pun intended) to convert road use vehicles over to natural gas- at least that had some practical aspects and would accomplish what he set out to do: move our fuel consumption from foreign to domestic supplies.

OK, putting my pin away now (the one I use to pop Unicorn made bubbles). :-)

Brian

Received this email the other day.
Can't find a link, thinking it might be a bit of a spoof.Subject: Fwd: FW: Modern Miracle.....

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
It'll never sell I tell ya, never!  Although it is...

Wait for it...wait for it..................................................................................................wait for it...........................................

Spock - Fascinating!
McCoy: [to Spock] Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 09:29:06 AM »
Possibly.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Nothing new there. Heard/read about these years ago.
Yep, not very efficient and no heat source for those of us up north. There was supposed to be compressed air filling stations that were to make them somewhat more viable, but of course it never will happen.
A month ago we went to the largest antique and steam engine show in this part of the country in Rollag Mn. (Population maybe 200?) they have building after building plus mobile exhibits of old engines of every known kind and a lot I didn't know of. Lots of cool, old technology. Hot air engines, turbines, diesels and steam engines of every type and size, some as long as a football field. Unbelievable stuff that was made so long ago and all mechanical, some of which is quite complicated. Still running and looking better than new in some displays.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
Possibly.
That was not directed at you.  ;)
One to many fascinating's

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 03:53:49 AM »
Not if you are a Trekkie..  Can't have enough...

Spock - Fascinating!

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 05:10:39 AM »
For the Trekkies:

1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?