Author Topic: Is the KTM 1190 REALLY capable off-road too?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

Re: Is the KTM 1190 REALLY capable off-road too?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
Is that an awesome video or what??  I need to make a vid of the F800GS all stripped down and bombing along.  Maybe at the Desert 100??  Having the suspension all done and dialed in has really transformed the bike into a true heavy weight dirt bike. 

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
I miss my dirt bikes.  :(

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:21:35 PM »
Is that an awesome video or what??  I need to make a vid of the F800GS all stripped down and bombing along.  Maybe at the Desert 100??  Having the suspension all done and dialed in has really transformed the bike into a true heavy weight dirt bike.

YES you should, and give me some lessons too  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I miss my dirt bikes.  :(

I bet, but no need for that as there are many available =)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Seems there are some hiccups and bugs with the new 1190, hopefully KTM will get them ironed out......they have allot riding on this bike IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:58:41 AM »
Great video, of course that guy could make a Road King look good off road.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »
Seems there are some hiccups and bugs with the new 1190, hopefully KTM will get them ironed out......they have allot riding on this bike IMHO.

+1

Every brand on a 1st year model revamp has its share of hiccups, bugs and recalls.  Even my 2010 C14 did, KiPass couldn;t even stop that   ;D

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »
I do like the bike, but the most impressive part of that video is the rider, by far.
Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »
+1

Every brand on a 1st year model revamp has its share of hiccups, bugs and recalls.  Even my 2010 C14 did, KiPass couldn;t even stop that   ;D

Hopefully the new 1000 V-Strom won't, so far those who finally have one in their hands are very impressed.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »

Hopefully the new 1000 V-Strom won't, so far those who finally have one in their hands are very impressed.

Hope not too.  I like the new V Strom and as far as the biggest ADV bang for the buck its the one.

But the critics note the negatives too. Some of the comments I've been seeing:

This one is HUGE, one has to be able to drag the back brake for control when off-roading with the flick of a switch:  Always On ABS: There is no way to switch the ABS off for off-road riding unless you remove a fuse manually.

No Top-End Power: Max horsepower is achieved at 8,000 RPM but the bike feels flat after 6,000 RPM. Short-shifting provides the best acceleration.

Cornering Ground Clearance: The long footpeg feelers and the low muffler will begin to touch pavement early during aggressive cornering.

Excessive Crash Damage: During an off-road test, several journalists fell in the dirt. The damage was excessive for a small tip over.

Exposed Underbelly: The V-Strom has low ground clearance (6.5 inches) for an Adventure Bike.

Lacks Off-Road Intent: The V-Strom was clearly not meant to be a serious off-road tool with only 6.3 inches of suspension travel. However, its low weight and quality suspension should allow it to explore maintained dirt roads confidently.

Wind Protection: Some reviewers complain that the standard windscreen did not provide enough coverage from the wind.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
Hope not too.  I like the new V Strom and as far as the biggest ADV bang for the buck its the one.

But the critics note the negatives too. Some of the comments I've been seeing:

This one is HUGE, one has to be able to drag the back brake for control when off-roading with the flick of a switch:  Always On ABS: There is no way to switch the ABS off for off-road riding unless you remove a fuse manually.

No Top-End Power: Max horsepower is achieved at 8,000 RPM but the bike feels flat after 6,000 RPM. Short-shifting provides the best acceleration.

Cornering Ground Clearance: The long footpeg feelers and the low muffler will begin to touch pavement early during aggressive cornering.

Excessive Crash Damage: During an off-road test, several journalists fell in the dirt. The damage was excessive for a small tip over.

Exposed Underbelly: The V-Strom has low ground clearance (6.5 inches) for an Adventure Bike.

Lacks Off-Road Intent: The V-Strom was clearly not meant to be a serious off-road tool with only 6.3 inches of suspension travel. However, its low weight and quality suspension should allow it to explore maintained dirt roads confidently.

Wind Protection: Some reviewers complain that the standard windscreen did not provide enough coverage from the wind.

Yeah no surprises there, something always has to give up for another. I have little doubt that everything mentioned "other than wasted HP gains" will and already has been addressed by aftermarket vendors. The mention of no top end HP cracks me up, these are not meant to be race bikes.......LOL, and the power delivery on my current 1000 is not boring or lacking by any means. It all goes back to the analogy of more is better, yet with more sometimes you get more problems. Wind protection is all relevant to the rider, I honestly get less buffeting and wind noise on my Strom than I did with my old C14.....go figure. Suzuki knows that 3/4 of owners will never venture beyond gravel, so they built this bike for the real market that makes them money. Fabulous......and I mean fabulous touring bikes when set up right, and I venture to say even better than a C14 or an FJR in many cases. The new KTM is hardcore and will no doubt be a winner for a small percent of owners, but NOBODY is going to touch the new 1200GS no matter how hard they try, only Yamaha has the best chance for that in my opinion. Sure are some great bikes out there, and love how the ADV market is growing here in the USA finally.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline cugsy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
Seems to have changed quite a bit since the venerable 80GS first popped up 30 years ago or so. The paris dakar idea of 'light and strong' is now 'over complicated and over weight'. I see so many of the GS1100/1200's around the UK complete with the huge mule boxes and most seem to be out for a pose. And they're a bloody sight cleaner than most of my bikes ever were.
 The KTM bikes are more or less what they were since the 990 and they look like they can go off road and get you back for din dins. I used to have a Cagiva Elefant 750 and it was superb. I haven't seen one for ages though and the other cagiva bikes look dual purpose but won't do the job. I have a 1/2 mile farm track to negotiate every time I leave the house - a bitch in the wet especially with the GTR but a doddle with the Dr650. If I could i would have a DR800 but they themselves are like rockin horse **** and I'll never get permission from the boss lady to buy a new Vstrom. It looks nice - and thats what stops me buying one.  If I want to use a bike all year round it has to be the DR - the GTR won't get down the track in winter. I worry about dropping it and that makes me ride like a twitchy nun.
 Gone are the days of the super tenere and the xlv 750 (not the africa twin...puke!) and the big DR's. As far as I know the xtz660 is still a decent dual ride bike but don't do anything the DR don't do...love those double negatives.  Anyway, enough blather. The KTM gets my vote before the BM ...or the new Suzook. And I loves my suzuki's. 
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
I'm really liking this bike and contemplating the non-R version. (I'm not a serious off-road type.) The dealer network and the fact that this is the first year for this model are holding me back.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
Did some riding with Quinn Cody (look him up) while he was on an 1190 ADV-R.  When he remembered to switch it to off road mode he was gone!!  If he forgot?  He sang high praise for the bike and we hit some serious stuff out in Wickenburg.  Don't ever mention long sand washes, I hate the deep stuff, but I did improve well beyond what I thought I would.  Makes me even more appreciative of the Dakar and Baja riders.  Takes cajones to keep the throttle open when the front starts twitching ;D

omcrider

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
We have a couple of these in the MC, I have ridden a couple dual sport rides with these guys with me on a KTM 525EXC and the big KTM Adventures preform quite well. Single track, hill climbing, you name it. They are heavy bikes so they take a bit of muscling in the tight stuff but they will go anywhere as long as the rider is capable of handling it.