Author Topic: LED headlight module (Cyclops Adventure)  (Read 24797 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: LED headlight module (Cyclops Adventure)
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
I think someone just needs to experiment by getting out their microscopic soldering pencil and with changing the LEDs so that both of the top ones come on with the low beam and all four (2 top 2 bottom) come on with the high beam.

Looking at the pics on the original post of the Lamps, it looks like the circuit boards that the LED's are mounted are held to the Aluminum heat sink by a couple of screws so it looks like it may be fairly easy to rewire them so just the top LEDs come on in Low.

HeH Heh heh...and the plot thickens...

The soldering pencil is in your court Dolomoto.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Not to be a *****, but projectors are currently the only right way to do a non-halogen bulb...  It's a lot of work yes, but the end result is SO much better, and less blinding to other drivers.  I know that the PNP HID kits seem to work decently in these particular housings, but if you want results, you need to do projectors.  LED technology isn't quite there yet.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18243.0
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
I found this and thought it was interesting

Home > Automotive Bulbs > LED Bulbs
LED Bulbs
Replace your halogen fog light bulbs with a PIAA LED Bulb Conversion Kit. This LED lighting bulb upgrade is available in two color options: Xenon White 6000k or Ion Yellow 2800k.
Designed for an quick and easy install, they plug directly in place of your stock bulbs with no rewiring, splicing or soldering needed.
The low power draw means these LED performance bulbs use up to 75% less energy than the bulb it will be replacing.
Engineered with a brilliant cut-line and anti-glare technology, these bulb upgrades direct the light to where you need it most; On the road.
While these bulbs run at a drastically reduced temperature in comparison to halogen bulbs, thermal management is key to the lifespan of circuit boards. Because these are designed to withstand the life of the vehicle, our LED replacement bulbs feature dual alloy construction and an electronic fan to keep the circuit board and LED chips cool.
PIAA LED Bulb
OE Halogen Bulb   PIAA Yellow LED Bulb   PIAA White LED Bulb
OE Bulb - 9006   PIAA 2800k LED Bulb - 9006   PIAA 6000k LED Bulb - 9006

Performance LED Fog Bulb White 6000k Twin Pack
Item #: 171
Performance LED Fog Bulb White 6000k Twin Pack
Price: $299.99
Performance LED Fog Bulb Yellow 2800k Twin Pack
Item #: 175
Performance LED Fog Bulb Yellow 2800k Twin Pack
Price: $299.99

http://www.piaa.com/LEDbulb
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
Hard for me to swallow 3 bills for a pair of light bulbs.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »
I absolutely agree, I won't be buying them anytime soon. I did find it interesting that they are properly designed with proper cut-off at the top.

Years ago, when I was building off-road parts, PIAA hooked me up with newly released products and they were REALLY high quality. Since then I have purchased some PIAA products and have never been disappointed. Next week I'm going to get a pair of their Night Tech bulbs for my C14.

Another positive instance of you get what you pay for.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline jefflinde

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
So i was just looking into these and there are now lots of options that light up 180 degrees for low beam and 360 degrees for High Beam.  these are on Ebay and should solve the issue many of you have spoken about.

Thoughts?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »
So i was just looking into these and there are now lots of options that light up 180 degrees for low beam and 360 degrees for High Beam.  these are on Ebay and should solve the issue many of you have spoken about.

Thoughts?

interesting. Link?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:16 AM »

Thoughts?

Welcome!

They are interesting in that they follow the correct high/low direction of illumination.  However, they appear to suffer from the same problem as the other LED modules we have seen so far- they have no built-in cut-off (shade) for the low beams.  This means they can potentially create a tremendous amount more glare than stock halogen bulbs because they through light out EVERYWHERE on one side.  Halogen (and even most aftermarket HID replacement) bulbs have a metal shade for a true and absolute control of the light.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
... Wanted to install LED turn-signals, but don't want to pierce any wiring with load-resistors, so will leave them alone as well.

I'm a bit late to this party... but you can get a LED rated flasher relay that replaces the stocker under the long plastic under the right side of the seat. I'm running LED signals all 4 corners with this relay. No cuts, no splices. Hazards still function normally, too. This came up in another thread some months ago http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17998.msg220613#msg220613.

Back to topic... I have nothing helpful to contribute, but I'm learning a lot.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
jefflinde:

Yeah.  I tried a nice pair (that is for BDF...) like that, and they suck.  Yes, a technical term.  Lots of light, but not well focused.  Not even symmetrical left to right.  P O S lighting. 

BDF: FOCUS is singular...FOCI is plural.  Latin, eh?

Dat
Sax
Man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:38 PM »
Right- the reflectors have both, one point of focus for each type of beam, or two foci in the reflector in its entirety; hence the use of both words. Pick the one you like best but really, we only care about the focus point of the low beam in the reflector housing.... mostly.

:-)

Brian

jefflinde:

Yeah.  I tried a nice pair (that is for BDF...) like that, and they suck.  Yes, a technical term.  Lots of light, but not well focused.  Not even symmetrical left to right.  P O S lighting. 

Dat
Sax
Man
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
jefflinde:

Dat
Sax
Man

My goodness, that sounds like me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »
BDF, agreed that there are plural focal points...but you used FOCI as a singular in your post.  Just sayin. 

VJ, better n being dim but focused...or lights on, nobody home, or...

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline jefflinde

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
this is a slightly different one than i posted a pic from but it does the same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9003-H4-Cree-Super-Bright-3200-Lumen-6500K-40W-White-Headlight-High-Low-Beam-LED-/331264613024?hash=item4d20e8daa0&vxp=mtr

Yep, same problem- zero cut off/shield.  I wish they weren't allowed to sell these bulbs.   The last thing we need are more blinding vehicles on the road :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »
Anyone can sell them, legally, under the guise of them NOT being used in DOT approved vehicles. Same way companies can re-flash the ECU and get around those nasty EPA fines by slapping an "Off Road Use only" sticker on it. So it is really the user who is committing the offense, and it should be dealt with on an individual basis, by local LEO's on offending vehicles (speaking of lighting here; there is no way an LEO could suspect ECU alteration of course). This is where the whole thing falls down IMO- it seems that anyone can drive with anything that makes light on the front of the vehicle and get away with it. I have seen headlights so dark purple that they are useless and yet when seeing them on a car sitting next to, or across from, an LEO at an intersection, I have never seen such a vehicle get pulled over. So it seems that we have somehow made the group decision to basically allow anything for forward lighting on vehicles. ??

I understand that in Canada it is quite different and such vehicles get stopped. Maybe the Canadians are more sensitive to bright lights, eh?

Brian

Yep, same problem- zero cut off/shield.  I wish they weren't allowed to sell these bulbs.   The last thing we need are more blinding vehicles on the road :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
I ended up installing HID's with projectors. I tried just HID's with the shield and they were throwing light all over the place...light was everywhere. I added projectors to the HID's and it made a HUGE difference in where the light was going. It put it "downstream" like it's supposed to be.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Not only better as far as where the light goes but they also put out far more light from the same light source. Reflectors can only grab less than 50% of the light produced by any lamp while projectors get much more of the lamp's output (cannot remember the percentage right now but it is very high).

Brian

I ended up installing HID's with projectors. I tried just HID's with the shield and they were throwing light all over the place...light was everywhere. I added projectors to the HID's and it made a HUGE difference in where the light was going. It put it "downstream" like it's supposed to be.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Not only better as far as where the light goes but they also put out far more light from the same light source.
Brian

The difference in the "amount" of light was amazing! I CAN NOT out ride my light at night (I guess I could but that would be scary :yikes:)
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »
I ended up installing HID's with projectors.

This is what I wish I had.  But I am not willing to take apart the whole headlight assembly to do it.  Plus it would be nice if it were LED, too.  Just waiting for something to pop up one day...