Author Topic: New farkle arrived and installed - tail light  (Read 51029 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: New farkle arrived and installed - tail light
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:38 AM »
FYI, I have one of the clear versions on the way to me. I will take pics when I get it and do my best to compare it to the stock unit and see if I can get them both running for comparison as well.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 08:14:32 AM »
Is a $10 difference really that big of deal that it would keep you from buying it or not if you wanted one?  ???

Just got it for $18.00!

8)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
Here is a hint.  He sent me a second chance offer through Ebay for the 18.00 price after the first one outbid me.  So if you are patient, you can save a bit.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »
Here is a hint.  He sent me a second chance offer through Ebay for the 18.00 price after the first one outbid me.  So if you are patient, you can save a bit.

Good tip there. I forgot all about the fact a seller can do that. Since you were outbid, he knows you made a bid in the first place and since he has lots just sitting and ready to go, he can offer them up for the bid you put in.

BTW, I am going to try using a light meter on my phone that I downloaded to see how the brightness of the two compare when I get it. I don't know how accurate the light meter is, but it will give an approximate percentage to compare with.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »
Just got it for $18.00!

8)

Beers are on you then bro!  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

Beers are on you then bro!  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

I can afford it now!

:thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
BTW, I am going to try using a light meter on my phone that I downloaded to see how the brightness of the two compare when I get it. I don't know how accurate the light meter is, but it will give an approximate percentage to compare with.

Probably better than nothing... but as I pointed out before, it depends on the ANGLE of the light distribution.  If the replacement LED's have a very narrow focus, they might indeed be much brighter, but only in a tiny "sweet spot".  Something to keep in mind.

If you do try to use a meter, then you would want to compare each at night, to keep the background noise (light) constant.  And you should test from exactly the same distance AND angles.  Plus it would be good to test both from more than one angle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
Probably better than nothing... but as I pointed out before, it depends on the ANGLE of the light distribution.  If the replacement LED's have a very narrow focus, they might indeed be much brighter, but only in a tiny "sweet spot".  Something to keep in mind.

If you do try to use a meter, then you would want to compare each at night, to keep the background noise (light) constant.  And you should test from exactly the same distance AND angles.  Plus it would be good to test both from more than one angle.

Already thought of all that and hope to cover it all!
Scott

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »
ordered...$40 I'll risk that

Got it yesterday in the mail.  Quick ship in my opinion, hell it came from China! Awesome packaging too.  Gonna put it on today.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
I sent an email to the ebay seller and asked him if he would be setting up any conventional auctions instead of all "Buy it Now".
He replied back and said that he would set up some regular auctions with the $18 starting bid, next month.  If I can save 10 bucks then I will.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
Good move Jeremy.  I'll wait a month for the ten bucks (equals 2 1/2 beers).
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
I would love to get one in the blue tint. I am not an Ebay guy. Is there no other way to buy these? Do you have to remove the rear rack to install these?
Joel from Maine.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »
Mine arrived today. It's impressive looking. After taking a quick look around the bike, it's not obvious to me how to remove and replace it. Any help is appreciated!
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
Got it yesterday in the mail.  Quick ship in my opinion, hell it came from China! Awesome packaging too.  Gonna put it on today.

Come on already with the pics Dawg...

Offline marku8a

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
Come on already with the pics Dawg...

ZG - Not sure this comment was directed to my post and request for help. Also not sure what drawing you are referring to. I did get the install done. There is more involved than I expected. Needed to remove the ECU and rack.

Now that it's in I can say that it is really bright. I didn't notice with the stock light but this light is always on. Brighter with the break applied.
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
ZG - Not sure this comment was directed to my post and request for help. Also not sure what drawing you are referring to. I did get the install done. There is more involved than I expected. Needed to remove the ECU and rack.

Now that it's in I can say that it is really bright. I didn't notice with the stock light but this light is always on. Brighter with the break applied.

My post was actually for Boonedawg, but since you just did yours... come on with the pics already!  ;) ;D

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
Mine will be here soon......

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Just got my new tail light today. Since I have not taken anything off the bike except the seat and the left passenger peg bracket so far, any tips? I assume I have to take some of the rear bodywork off to get to the electrical connector?

I need to get the service manual at some point soon.
Scott

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
Just got my new tail light today. Since I have not taken anything off the bike except the seat and the left passenger peg bracket so far, any tips? I assume I have to take some of the rear bodywork off to get to the electrical connector?

I need to get the service manual at some point soon.

I'll admit, I love to ride but always screw things up (especially electrical) when I try to do my own work...  :nuts:

I paid my local shop $50 to intall mine while I went next door and ate a samich... I'd rather just eat lunch then screw something up that ultimately results in me having to take it in anyways to fix what I jacked up, my time is precious...

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

I'll admit, I love to ride but always screw things up (especially electrical) when I try to do my own work...  :nuts:

I paid my local shop $50 to intall mine while I went next door and ate a samich... I'd rather just eat lunch then screw something up that ultimately results in me having to take it in anyways to fix what I jacked up, my time is precious...

Cheater.

:)
Scott