Author Topic: Stripped Phillips Head on Clutch Reservoir  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Stripped Phillips Head on Clutch Reservoir
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
Same happened to my A5 when I had it  :'( but something I found out by my mistake......

You say "Phillips" but did you actually use a Phillips driver or is this just a generic term you guys use?

OTP, and I guess you may have the same, we have Phillips screws and "Pozi" screws. These heads come in different sizes PH1 & PH2 for Phillips and PZ1, PZ2 & PZ3 for Pozi.

The clutch and brake screws take a PZ2 bit, not a PH2  ;).

Well, that might explain why many of us are stripping the heads, then...

Still happy with my hex/allen replacement screws, though!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
It's a counter-sunk screw. I doubt you'll be able to cut a slot in the screw without boogering the cover.

don't doubt what you have never attempted....I have succesfully done this at least a dozen times on both the brake and clutch cover screws on multiple bikes.
You need a steady hand, and position the cutter in the existing slot on the "X", carefully cut slot straight downwards it till it gets to the outer diameter of the head, this will allow a deep enough slot in the middle, due to the radius on the cutter, without destroying anything.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline BrianM

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »
The clutch and brake screws take a PZ2 bit, not a PH2  ;).

Not on any of my 3 Kawasakis, and I can't remember Any brake/clutch covers being Pozi screws.  Sorry, go look again, the tops of pozi screws look like this:

Offline Intruder

• All Weather Medium Attack!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:22 AM »
Since no one has said it, here goes...

I have a Snap-On Screw Removal Kit that consists of several sizes of easy outs and a corresponding drill bit. The drill bits are left handed. About 90% of the time the drilling operation will bite on the screw before the head comes off, and the screw just backs out.

Jim
AECS US Navy Retired

1984 Honda VT500 Ascot

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Since no one has said it, here goes...

I have a Snap-On Screw Removal Kit that consists of several sizes of easy outs and a corresponding drill bit. The drill bits are left handed. About 90% of the time the drilling operation will bite on the screw before the head comes off, and the screw just backs out.

I have something similar in my tool box that came from Sears.
Forgot I had it and have never used it.
Thanx for the reminder.

By the bye,,,,, AMS-1 USNR Retired (Fly Navy)

Ride safe, Ted