Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 889219 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1840 on: January 15, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Shori batteries are pretty good in the cold. I have one in my dirt bike & it was cranking  over last week in the low 40's just as good as when in the 90's. I'm not to worried about any lower than 30's here in central florida. The key to starting with a lithium battery in very cold weather "not Florida" is to turn on the lights for about a minute before cranking over, That warms the battery & it then has the same power as in warmer weather. My friends up north have them in their snowmobiles & swear by them  :chugbeer:

Sheesh...here in So. Cal, where I live in Ojai, there were mornings in December that were in the teens! But, my bike (stock battery and all) fired up right away and without issue every time!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #1841 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
pulled the ECU and sent shoodabeen an email.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #1842 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:06 PM »
Sheesh...here in So. Cal, where I live in Ojai, there were mornings in December that were in the teens! But, my bike (stock battery and all) fired up right away and without issue every time!
Yup. My original battery used to fire right up in the cold too, It Finally gave up the ghost after 4 years & is only holding 11.9 volts. They all wear out eventually !. I went with the lithium because I like them & wanted the high amp hour. Just my personal choice  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #1843 on: January 15, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
Changing the air filter, took everything off, changed it out, added Fiamm horns tried to test them - nothing.  Dead battery or messed up FOB!!!!  Rats.  Charger back on the battery, wait - no go.  Wait longer, no go.  It's gotta be the fob sensor!  Hours later, looking at all the parts laid out - "Sh$t!  Pick up the fob, walk over to the bike - instant start.  Duh...  ::)  Guess it works better when it's not in the tank compartment 20 feet away.

Last night oil and gear oil.  Tomorrow, radiator guard, plugs, clutch and brake fluids.  Kerosene heater keeping the garage temps manageable. 

Offline Cloggy

« Reply #1844 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
I fixed the front TPMS.
It had a flat battery. So I followed the procedure outlined on the web of using clamps to break the bead on the tyre and carefully exposed the TPMS. Carefully removed the TPMS and pulled it apart. Pried the battery from the spot welded tabs and soldered a new battery in place. Getting the solder to stick to the old battery tabs was harder than anticipated and in the process I cooked the battery.  >:(
Luckily I bought a packet of two batteries. So soldered two thin wires to the second battery which was real easy and connected those wires to the circuit board.
It wasn't until I went to put the TPMS together that I realised that I had the polarity reversed with the wires.  :banghead:
So undid the soldering and swapped the wires around in the firm belief that I had killed the sensor with the reverse polarity.
Did the "swing the sensor around on string" test to see if it showed up on the dash panel of the bike. Nothing  :(  Killed it for sure.
But the sensor back in the wheel, pumped the tyre up and took the bike for a spin.
Imagine my surprise when the dash panel came to life before even getting to the end of our driveway and showed front tyre pressure. I couldn't believe it.  ;D  Those sensors are obviously pretty bullet proof. Sweet  8)
Of course I don't know how to act my age. I have never been this old before!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #1845 on: January 18, 2016, 10:06:51 AM »
Congrats. I had a similar experience with my rear sensor, except I had one of my solder joints fail because I was worried about cooking the battery and didn't use enough heat. Now I need to do my front again but will wait for my next tire change. They come pretty often. ;D
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #1846 on: January 19, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
Removed the Battery from the C10 and put it in the basement on a trickle charger and installed the Battery Tender JR leads on the C14 in the garage so I can plug it in.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #1847 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I did my own brakes & clutch fluid for the first time! Feels good to do this, didn't realize how easy it was especially when you have the right tools like a motion pro brake bleeder. I also removed my rear wheel and installed a Pirelli Angel GT A spec tire. Went for a test ride yesterday and loving how the ride feels better again! Now i need to do the front wheel soon and replace the air filter next.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #1848 on: January 19, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
Well done Robert.
Stick around with this group long enough,,,, and you may be building engines etc yourself...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #1849 on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:39 AM »
 Put on a new front tire (PR3) and finished the bodywork getting a huge scratch out of the front fender. Now I sit and wait...calling for up to 24" of snow today. Damn.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1850 on: January 22, 2016, 08:10:53 AM »
The new battery is so light, I can't believe it! It's like a display model with no guts inside.
Works good too.
I also took my power connections for the heated gear and seat, that terminated at the battery with three eyelets, and used a heavy duty butt connector with heat shrink to a larger wire with one eyelet.
It was getting crowded in there, and I was able to put the in-line fuses on the other side of the battery, where their is a ton of free space. The only issue I see is if a fuse blows, it will be a beach to get to. But I've had my stuff hooked up for years, and never had a fuse blow.
Gonna wash her soon.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #1851 on: January 22, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1852 on: January 22, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »
+2  :yikes: :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1853 on: January 22, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline tomp

« Reply #1855 on: January 26, 2016, 08:48:20 AM »
Finally had a chance to ride to work yesterday.  Off today and it's suppose to rain and have a front come through.  Upper 70's by the weekend though, and should be able to ride again.  My apologies to those who are covered in snow.  This summer when you have great weather, it will be swampy hot and unbearable here. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

sailor_chic

« Reply #1856 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
I installed a USB port on my dash.

Also did a little decorating  :)

Offline tomp

« Reply #1857 on: January 26, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »

And not just any girl, either.  A real rider on the best sport touring bike made. Did I mention a good looking girl, too!!?  Have a great week, Nicole.     tomp  dd50
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1858 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »

You'll prolly have to slow down a bit in order for the passed to read that.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1859 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
Effen hilarious... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.