Author Topic: Packing for a trip...  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Restless

Re: Packing for a trip...
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »
THOSE pills are VERY IMPORTANT!  I don't leave home without them!  I do tend to rely on what I have at hand when I am not far from SOME dealer/shop.  But heading up to Anchorage, I am anticipating long stretches of not many people, let alone motorcycle dealers.

http://youtu.be/BUcTfPvAFzk

http://youtu.be/XgJ4Yx5dbN8

:chugbeer:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
Go into the optical department at a WalMart and grab a box of optical wipes. I think they're $2 for a box of 20 or so. They're just a little wet-nap soaked in alcohol and sealed in a foil pouch, but they're just the thing for cleaning bugs when you stop. I wouldn't use them on the windshield, though...might scratch it.

edit: Well, I see on Wally-World's site that the price is now $5 for 50, but they do say that they're anti-fog now.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Agree.  Let's be honest, there is not really a hell of a lot you can work on anyway on newer vehicles.  I make sure I have the allen wrenches that fit everything in case I need to get to something under the body work.

+2 and add a Leatherman tool.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Hey stlheadake, I am packing also. I take a few extra tools other than what is on the bike, have a tire kit and a compressor and my road side service is good in Canada.

Talked to Verizon and they told me where the blackouts would be, better than I thought, they also said texting from Canada to the US is no extra charge like phone calls are $.69 per minute.

I also have a wifi palm pilot for e-mail if I can find wifi. A lot of the hotels on the way said they have wireless.

Just packed my camping gear in a 33" by 14" by 14" equipment bag to ride on the back seat, two man tent, single air mattress, pump, very small hiking sleeping bag,  and airplane pillow. I found some compression bags at target that as you roll up whatever you have in them air is forced out the bottom and can not get back in, they really shrink things like a pillow and clothes.

I can't wait my journey to Alaska starts next Monday.

I'm CERTAIN that we are overpacking.  I'm traveling with my 68 year old father who has spent the last 45 years 'camping' in an RV.  I've covered as many bases as I think I can.  I have jotted down the suggestions for tools, and 'stuff', and I think we'll be fine.  For whatever reason, pops is going at this like we are Lewis & Clark on some sort of expedition.  Though I have gone over the gas stops, food, blah blah blah.  He's a little worried.  So pack it up!

valk I'm getting so excited about going.  I wish you luck, and safety on your trip!  Maybe we could cross paths.  I think I have your cell number.  I'll, text updates!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
If there is anything playing Oregon Trail has taught me is you can skip over most provisions as long as you pack plenty of ammo  :P

+1 on anti-diarrheal and pain / anti-inflammatories and if you start to feel any pain, I would take them right away, don't try to rough it out for an hour just to be in excruciating pain and then have to wait another hour for the meds to kick in. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
Hey Stlheadake, there's a club I use to ride with in Anchorage that does rides every Thursday night. The group is really diverse, all ages and kinds of bikes, really nice people. They usually ride a couple of hours each way with a restaurant destination for anyone that wants to eat. Most people break up into groups and ride back at there own pace. There use to be around 15-20  people but sometimes up to 30. Heres the website.
http://lastfrontiermcc.com/ 

Good luck and watch out for moose

valkmc

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
I'm CERTAIN that we are overpacking.  I'm traveling with my 68 year old father who has spent the last 45 years 'camping' in an RV.  I've covered as many bases as I think I can.  I have jotted down the suggestions for tools, and 'stuff', and I think we'll be fine.  For whatever reason, pops is going at this like we are Lewis & Clark on some sort of expedition.  Though I have gone over the gas stops, food, blah blah blah.  He's a little worried.  So pack it up!

valk I'm getting so excited about going.  I wish you luck, and safety on your trip!  Maybe we could cross paths.  I think I have your cell number.  I'll, text updates!

I will do the same I have your cell #, maybe I can warn you about construction on the Alcan if I run into any. Hope we can meet up some where for a cold one and story(lying) time.

Mike

Offline booger

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
Fly Racing Trail Tool (Google it), which is a T-handle wrench that takes different size sockets, allen heads, etc. About $17. Very compact and VERY useful. Go around your bike and find out exactly what size sockets and allens you need and only take those. PM me if you can't find one locally as I have an extra.

A good knife or multi-tool, although honestly I prefer a knife. No junk. Leatherman makes the best multi.

Fuses, a small roll of duct tape, plastic zip ties in various lengths (you can lock them together to get a longer length if needed to hold something on that has worked loose), $100 tucked away where only you can find it, a credit card and a cell phone.

If you can't fix it with that combination, you are well and truly screwed.

Add first aid kit, a small roll of large trash bags, small volt-ohm meter and a couple of light bulbs (stop and turn signal) and you got it.  Also a small pistol if you so desire.

not2old

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Not a good idea to try taking a pistol across the Canadian border.