Author Topic: I am Screwed (got a flat) Used Dynaplug  (Read 10793 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

I am Screwed (got a flat) Used Dynaplug
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:44 PM »
Tonight on the way home from the San Jose, Ca Cycle Gear event, my TPS lit up with low pressure warning for the rear tire.
(started at 31 psi and got home at 20 psi over 5 miles freeway + city streets).

Got home, grabbed a flashlight and and found a screw in the tire so pulled out my new Dyna Plug kit.

First plug still showed a small leak, so I had to use 2 plugs to close the hole. (no bubbles so seal looked okay). Put in 40 psi and will check Friday to see if the seal is good.

Took about 10 minutes with Karen holding the flashlight.

Attached are photos... (look at instructions that state a warning regarding using Dynaplug motorcycle tires above 20 MPH!!!!!)
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline cablebandit

Re: I am Screwed (got a flat) Used Dynaplug
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
Sticky ropes.  Why try to improve on something that flat out works?

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »
 CrashKLRtoConnie
It's good enough to get you to a shop for a new tire, thats all any plug/rope is suppose to be for anyway.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline banjobart

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
I used the Dynaplug and two sticky plugs to plug a hole from a large nail last month. It worked very well. I was about 15 miles from home. The next day I rode 15 miles to the dealer for a new tire. I felt safe, but it was a big nail hole that I plugged so I stayed under 60 MPH.
2009 C1400
2007 FJR1300
2007 ST1300
2007 DL1000

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »
When I was rolling the Dynaplugs, (per instruction sheet), I noticed the look and feel of the dynaplug was that of a smaller diameter sticky rope ... go figure ...

The nice thing about Dynaplug is you only need water / spit to lube the plug. No tube of glue to leak out or dry out.

That may also be a weakness ... of Dynaplug's design compared with sticky rope ....

Note: today (8 hours after the repair) I rechecked the tire and the plugs they seem to be holding the same pressure ...

... likely I will pull the tire and put on a "real" patch (or have the dealer do so) ... as the PR2s still have about 3-4k more miles on them.

BTW. I used water not spit

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »

... likely I will pull the tire and put on a "real" patch (or have the dealer do so) ... as the PR2s still have about 3-4k more miles on them.

You may call me "chicken stripes" but I think you should get a new tire.
 I know they're not cheap but what are YOU worth?
 Hopefully you answered "a hell-of a lot more than 3-4 K miles of tire wear".

Further experience has changed my opinion...I now believe differently.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:33:09 PM by fartymarty »

Offline accbiker

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
I used the Dynaplug and two sticky plugs to plug a hole from a large nail last month. It worked very well. I was about 15 miles from home. The next day I rode 15 miles to the dealer for a new tire. I felt safe, but it was a big nail hole that I plugged so I stayed under 60 MPH.

+1

Any plug should be viewed as a short-term fix.  Life is too short to trust it on a $1 plug.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
I have plugged countless car tires and several motorcycle tires, with standard "monkey grip" style plugs, and I have never had a failure nor do I know of anyone that has.

Done properly, that plug isn't coming out.  The closest I've ever had to a failure is when I did the repair outside in the freezing rain, with bad (partially gummed up) cement.  Even then, the plug didn't blow out, it just leaked annoyingly until I could redo it properly.

I wouldn't plug a track tire (wouldn't pass tech inspection anyway) but I have zero issues plugging a street tire.

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »
I have plugged countless car tires and several motorcycle tires, with standard "monkey grip" style plugs, and I have never had a failure nor do I know of anyone that has.

Done properly, that plug isn't coming out.  The closest I've ever had to a failure is when I did the repair outside in the freezing rain, with bad (partially gummed up) cement.  Even then, the plug didn't blow out, it just leaked annoyingly until I could redo it properly.

I wouldn't plug a track tire (wouldn't pass tech inspection anyway) but I have zero issues plugging a street tire.

Sure, I'm glad it has worked for you. There are some types of flats where they shouldn't be used though, such as punctures near the edge on a car tire. In the case of a motorcycle tire I wouldn't trust them for long due to possible cord damage. It can be done and they can hold for a very long time. For hard riding on the twisties I would not trust the repair.

In the case of the OP's repai, I would not trust it at all. He states he used TWO plugs to fill the hole. I would replace that tire as soon as possible.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
Me too. I've gone 3000 miles on a plugged Avon Venom. My brother went 14000 miles on a plugged Venom. You couldn't get the plug out if you wanted to. I had the front valve stem separate on the front tire of my Valkyrie instantly making the tire go flat at 80 mph on the super slab. The bike did not go unstable just took more muscle to steer. After all, you are probably riding when you get the flat in the first place so why is the risk of plug failure any worse then risk of any other kind of flat?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
I carry both the Dynaplug and larger rope plugs with glue. For straight nail the Dynaplugs work  great. For larger holes such a from a screw, the rope works better to fill the hole.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
I carry both the Dynaplug and larger rope plugs with glue. For straight nail the Dynaplugs work  great. For larger holes such a from a screw, the rope works better to fill the hole.

I also carry both types.  Plus a credit card when I say screw it.  I figure all my bases are covered.   ;) 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
I had the front valve stem separate on the front tire of my Valkyrie instantly making the tire go flat at 80 mph on the super slab. The bike did not go unstable just took more muscle to steer.
I'm glad that worked out for you!

After all, you are probably riding when you get the flat in the first place so why is the risk of plug failure any worse then risk of any other kind of flat?

The difference would seem to be that most punctures are partially self sealing by the offending nail-spike-bolt-etc, and even if the hole doesn't still
have the offender in it, the tire usually slightly recovers and the air seeps out. *If a plug comes out after miles and months of cord rubbing, tire flexing,
and holding the hole open, it will most likely be a fast deflation. If it happens on a super slab maybe just an inconvenience (hopefully),
but leaned over in a turn, maybe quite a bit worse. 
I'll admit that I've only had one flat in an un-tubed motorcycle tire, (The first day I brought my brand new connie home.  :( )
My lack of tire failure experience may be the cause of my cautious approach but then maybe I'm just a chicken $#!+.

*Further experience has changed my opinion...I now believe differently.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:36:06 PM by fartymarty »

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Went in to the Local    Fremont Ca - Honda Kawasaki Motorcycle dealer and after some discussion ...

They agreed if the wheel is off the bike that they would mount and balance any tire bought at their store.

So I bought / and they ordered the Michelin Rear PR3 190/50ZR-17 ... and once it is in will pull off the wheel and be back in full action.
note: They = (Brooks in service and Taylor Lapin in parts)

http://www.fremonthondakawasaki.com/

I bought my 2008 KLR650 there and had it serviced there. Nice store and Nice People.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
My lack of tire failure experience may be the cause of my cautious approach but then maybe I'm just a chicken $#!+.

I certainly will not fault someone for being cautious.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
I certainly will not fault someone for being cautious.

Nor will I but if I had bought a new tire instead of plugging every time I picked up a nail, I'd be about $1000 into extra tires in the last few years. I know for a fact that I have plugged every rear motorcycle tire I've ever had. Damn things are nail magnets.

Put me in that category of those who've never had a plug failure--car or bike.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
Sticky ropes.  Why try to improve on something that flat out works?

You said it brotha..............keep  it simple/stupid!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
I've had rope plugs leak after a lot of miles, on a car...

I'd trust a plug if the hole was small enough though. I'd avoid overheating the tire, and it would eat at me, but I'd ride it ;)

I go through tires every month anyway. :banghead:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
I've never ridden on a plugged tire any distance.  But I've ridden on several patched tires on my car.  I used to patch motorcycle tires when I was younger.  Now, it's just not worth it.  I drive semi-agressive and love higher speeds.  I just refuse do it on a patched or plugged motorcycle tire.

Offline curly

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
I've used the sticky ropes without the cement for years without any problems. I switched once to those new fangled mushroom plugs and co2 cartridges and came out the hotel room the next morning to find it flat again @###$%(! Now I carry only sticky ropes and an aerostich pump.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.