Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Quiet Ride Muffs? Update...Installed and Reviewed!  (Read 20917 times)

Offline scgoan

I have the Sena SMH10. I recently decided to switch out the speakers for the Tork X-Pro. Before purchasing the speakers, I contacted Tork and asked them if I would experience more volume out of their speakers compared to the Sena speakers. The representative told me that I probably wouldn't notice any increase in volume but it would seem louder because the the sound is much better from the Tork X-Pro. Wrong!!! The music doesn't sound better or louder and when I'm talking with another paired Sena or making a phone call, I can barely hear them talking. I'm now considering options:

1) Go back to my Sena speakers (They weren't that bad).

2.) Go get some custom ear monitors. (approximately $300)

3) Try the Quiet Ride Muffs ($80)

I have a pretty tight fitting Shoei X-Eleven. I also have big ears that I always have to unfold after putting on my helmet. I worried that these ear muffs won't fit comfortably in my helmet. I'm going to give them a call and see if they can quell some of my concerns.     

http://www.quietridemuffs.com/videos.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:25:54 PM by scgoan »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Has anyone tried the Quiet Ride Muffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
Muffs, eh?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
I gave up on speakers quite a while ago and just use earphones now (which are earplugs with speakers inside them that enter the ear canal).  The solution isn't perfect- it can be tricky to keep them from coming out when putting on the helmet, and there can be some sensitivity after a long time of wearing them.  But the relief they provide from noise is great, and I can hear music in high-fidelity.

The ear muff concept looks interesting, but also kinda complex.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline scgoan

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
I know, it sounds odd. Visit the website and then let me know what you think. I think it's an interesting idea. 

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
They sound like they would work, but I wonder what effect they have on the safety of the helmet in an accident. I simply use ear plugs and the speakers. If I could be assured the muffs wouldn't interfere with functionality of the helmet, I might try it. Of course on a sportbike my helmet is quiet, it is the bad airflow on the C14 that causes the noise.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
My wife would hurt me if I tried them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
Just get one of these:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/40568/ITEM/ONeal-Racing-Fastrack-II-Bluetooth-Helmet.aspx

It is a comfortable helmet, batteries have never ran out of charge during a ride. I got back from my ride to Canada last week, listened to pandora while GPS ran, even made a phone call to my wife while riding on 1-5 doing 80mph.
Nice fiberglass helmet, I think mine was $200 on sale.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
That looks like a nice helmet. I'm curious, though, do you wear ear plugs? How well can you hear the music/calls with ear plugs?

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »
That looks like a nice helmet. I'm curious, though, do you wear ear plugs? How well can you hear the music/calls with ear plugs?

I don't wear ear plugs. I used to but not anymore. When  I got the helmet, found that it was hard to hear music/whatever over the built in speakers. The problem was wind noise.
I got a larger shield (Calsci) and that cut down wind noise a lot! I set the volume to low, non ear damaging level before I ride and even at highway speeds, it is loud enough. If I want to change the volume, just turn the knob on the helmet.
If someone calls, you hear the ring come over the music and see the phone number on the iphone. If you want to answer the phone, you tap the screen and talk. I have found that if you have GPS and Pandora running at the same time, you can't answer phone or make phone call, at least that is how it is on my 4s.If someone texts me, I can use Siri to read me the text.
Even without listening to music, that larger shield is real nice to have. Combined with the bazooka muffler, it makes for a very quiet ride.If you ride with plugs, you won't need them with a larger shield, trust me. I used to travel on a katana 1100 and always used Earos foam plugs, i even used them on my C14 before I got a larger shield.
Tell you what, with helmet speakers turned off, and Iphone in its waterproof case mounted on the tree, I can still hear the Iphone (through its iphone speakers) play while I am doing 50 mph, if that gives you any idea of how much a larger shield helps!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
I gave up on speakers quite a while ago and just use earphones now (which are earplugs with speakers inside them that enter the ear canal).  The solution isn't perfect- it can be tricky to keep them from coming out when putting on the helmet, and there can be some sensitivity after a long time of wearing them.  But the relief they provide from noise is great, and I can hear music in high-fidelity.

+1
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:15:25 AM »
Muffs, eh?

:censored:

My wife would hurt me if I tried them.

Muffs on your ears? Sounds kinda kinky but who am I to judge?    :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »
I wear contour foam earplugs in Kawasaki Green that I get at Walmart.  They work great with the SENA speakers.  The wind noise is blocked so I can enjoy the sound from the speakers.  Sure I have to put the volume up louder, but it works great.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline simply40

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
I tried to make a pair of these a while back from a set of old headphones.  YMMV but I found them hard to get lined up so they did not put pressure on ears.  I have a Nolan 104 with SENA SMH10.  I went back to plugs or good ear phones.  I did do the firmware update and it may provide a bit more volume.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
I did do the firmware update and it may provide a bit more volume.

I did the firmware update, as well. You are right, the update does add more volume, however, I find that when the volume is turned up all of the way, the music becomes distorted. Sena seems to listen closely to its customer base. However, in this case, unless they can address the distortion, I don't think it's a good update.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Those ear muff things seem like a neat idea but maybe a little cumbersome.

My Arai is a very quiet helmet by my standards but when I had the windshield down and all the vents open I got fairly annoyed with the ambient wind noise, though I could still hear my helmet speakers fine.
I used a set of in-the-ear buds and made a molded silicone set of custom earplugs.  Wow, what a difference.  Cuts wind noise, can hear my music and comm with the volume turned way down.  The caller usually doesn't know I'm riding during calls because I can hear them so easily that I talk normally.  Great if you're ditching work.
They are easy and inexpensive to make.  If you don't end up using them for riding they're a great way to listen to music without ambient noise interfering.

I'm trying to post a pic.  Technology vexes me.  I'll keep trying.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline scgoan

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »
I would love to see some pictures.

Thanks!

Offline clogan

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
Wow...I'm surprised at how many listen to tunes/phone etc while riding.
I prefer to ride with no added sound at all. Years ago, maybe, but not in a long time...not even in the car.

Interesting...
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »
Here's the pic.
They're easy to make.  The silicone is a two part putty you can get at craft shops for making molds.
Clip all the hair out of your ears first or don't (someone will get a laugh).
Get a feel for how far you can get your earbuds in so they don't protrude past your outer ear.  Remember to remove the little silicone fillers that come with the earphones before you start. Fit something into the hole on the end of the bud to keep silicone from blocking the sound. Mix about a teaspoon (half teaspoon of each component) and goop it around the bud, paying attention to the ear canal portion (you want this to fit well).  Install the whole thing into your ear and shape the outer portion to fit in your outer ear.  You want the silicone to form fit to the canal and the folds above the ear canal (these are what hold them in).   Looking in a mirror helps with final shaping.  Get rid of the excess and let cure.  Holding your mouth open with something about the size of a wine cork while you're doing this changes the shape of the ear canal so they are a little more snug when wearing them.
Don't worry about silicone going to far into your ear and scratching your brain it's pretty gentle and will all come out when you remove the final product.
Remember to pay attention to the right and left before installing.
If it doesn't turn out well just peel it all off and try again.  It took me about three tries till I was happy with them.
You will be amazed with the sound.  I used $15 buds from the Wally-mart thinking I would upgrade once I knew what I was doing but there's been no need.  Once they crater I will get some real good ones.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Wow...I'm surprised at how many listen to tunes/phone etc while riding.
I prefer to ride with no added sound at all. Years ago, maybe, but not in a long time...not even in the car.

Interesting...

I would go *crazy* if I could not listen to music while in car or on bike.   Very occasionally I want silence, but usually I am listening to music, in random mode.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc