Author Topic: where to mount heated gear plug?  (Read 8543 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
where to mount heated gear plug?
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
Is anyone using one of these panel mount plugs for your heated gear? If so, where did you mount it and can you post some pics on here please, thanks.  :chugbeer:

Offline jjsC6

Re: where to mount heated gear plug?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
I actually have two of them.  One is on the top black panel under the right handlebar.  But I didn't like it there so I mounted another that you can see in this picture on the black section.  I like it there because it is easy to plug into from my Gerbing liner.

Here you can see the other one.  You can also see the panel mounted "heat troller" - it actually controls the one in the first picture now.

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
Thanks JJ, I like the idea of that lower mount as opposed to drilling into any of the painted sections... Plus I'd think that spot keeps the cord from banging on any of the painted sections when riding too right? Any issues with cord reach for the Gerbings? I'm as well looking to go with the Gerbings. Do you have to use an extension?

Just for my own knowledge, what didn't you like about the mount on the top that made you install another down low??

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
Thanks JJ, I like the idea of that lower mount as opposed to drilling into any of the painted sections... Plus I'd think that spot keeps the cord from banging on any of the painted sections when riding too right? Any issues with cord reach for the Gerbings? I'm as well looking to go with the Gerbings. Do you have to use an extension?

Just for my own knowledge, what didn't you like about the mount on the top that made you install another down low??

The wires from a Gerbings liner go up under the left side pocket, so I had to drape the wires over the tank - which I didn't like for exactly the reasons you said - the paint.  I don't have to use an extension - you just have to remember to unplug when you get off (you WILL forget).  BTW, I have a portable controller and hate it.  You have to figure out where to attach it, and with a full face helmet won't likely be able to see it so you have to adjust it by feel.  The panel mount makes it much easier to use and you will have less wires to deal with.

BTW, heated clothing will change your life for riding.  You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  you will look forward to riding in 40 degree temps (that's about as bad as we get in Houston, but we do ride up in the Rocky Mountains every couple of years and use them).
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
Nice, wonder why I didn't see these?  Jay, when it's time I'll be upgrading as well and I like the idea of using the left side for the plug.  My dual controller is mounted as shown by jc.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
Mine isn't mounted but appears under the plastic gig over the gas tank.  99% of the time it stays up under there when not in use, which is 99% of the time

Sometimes
i do leave FL in the winter, but usually its the summers I stay out of state on the bike  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »
BTW, I have a portable controller and hate it.  You have to figure out where to attach it, and with a full face helmet won't likely be able to see it so you have to adjust it by feel.  The panel mount makes it much easier to use and you will have less wires to deal with.

Ya, I'm leaning towards the permanent dual temp controller and mounting it on my left side upper panel by my heated grips switch since I already drilled into that piece...

http://gerbing.com/Products/tempcontrols.php

BTW, heated clothing will change your life for riding.  You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  you will look forward to riding in 40 degree temps (that's about as bad as we get in Houston, but we do ride up in the Rocky Mountains every couple of years and use them).

Yep, I've been on street bikes in the winter for 25+ winters now and have never had heated gear, guess I'm either getting older or smarter...  ;) :) :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
Nice, wonder why I didn't see these?  Jay, when it's time I'll be upgrading as well and I like the idea of using the left side for the plug.  My dual controller is mounted as shown by jc.

Are you using a plug now Chet or just the wired plug from under the seat or bodywork? Which side did you mount the dual controller? I'm thinking the left side makes more sense to keep the right hand on throttle right?  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
Mine isn't mounted but appears under the plastic gig over the gas tank.  99% of the time it stays up under there when not in use, which is 99% of the time

Sometimes
i do leave FL in the winter, but usually its the summers I stay out of state on the bike  :D

Any issues with the cord banging on and scuffing the paint while riding Steve? That's one of my concerns...  :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »

Are you using a plug now Chet or just the wired plug from under the seat or bodywork? Which side did you mount the dual controller? I'm thinking the left side makes more sense to keep the right hand on throttle right?  :-\
I have the leads coming out directly down from the front edge of the seat, below the tank and middle fairing.  Tucks out of sight for the Summer months.  I think I would attach the flush mounts to that panel, keep things easy when I'm pulling the tuperware.  I set the controllers on the right panel, I tend to use the T-Meister alot, so the casual adjustment is easy.  It's also where I have the extra outlets and heated grip switch at, so I just made it my power panel.  Provides for a very clean, stock look.  While I'm in there next time I'm gonna go with a better switch for the grips.  It's been the only part not protected by KIPASS. :o  I should get a fuseblock, but, well, they aint free and I'd have to do some rerouting of my current rats nest ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »
My whips for heated clothes just hang out from the left hand side of the seat but unlike Chet, I don't tuck them away for winter. I find carrying around the stump of an elk's hoof in a prominent place on the bike takes away all chance that someone might notice the loose wires....

Good thing for you that the controller and clothing is already black ‘cause if you sent it out to be powder coated it would melt….

As already mentioned, put the whip or power plug on the left side of the bike, preferably in front on of you when seated on the bike so you can plug in after mounting. If the mount is behind your left leg you can still use it OK but it will be head to find by feel alone.

Just a helpful tip but only you have heated clothing, either mount a controller to the bike or if you use a portable controller as I do, ALWAYS carry the controller someplace you can find it and preferably attached to the jacket liner. I never unplug my controller so if I have my heated liner, I have the controller. I have watched other people put on heated clothes only to find they have left their controller at home (DOH!). Nothing worse than having heated clothing you cannot power up; it is like having a full pack of cigarettes and nothing to light them with- one of life's most diabolical teases.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »
I had the same dilemma. I didn't really want to mount the powerlet on a painted section of the bike, but I also didn't want long lengths of wire dangling and flapping in the wind. I actually purchased my heated gear and did some test fitting before mounting it here:

There's approximately 4" of exposed cable when my gear is plugged in, so it doesn't get in the way or flap in the wind. I went with a powerlet plug because it works well for heated gear, accessories and battery tenders.

BTW, heated gear is WONDERFUL in Oregon. I don't wear heated pants all that often, but the gloves and jackets are well worth the money!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
I just have mine zip tied to a stay under the seat, and the connector projects from the triangular open space just below the seat.  In the Summer I just tuck it away under the seat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
Good thing for you that the controller and clothing is already black ‘cause if you sent it out to be powder coated it would melt….

:rotflmao:   8)   :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »

Any issues with the cord banging on and scuffing the paint while riding Steve? That's one of my concerns...  :-\

No sir, none at all thus far. Will report again at 150K miles
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
I had the same dilemma. I didn't really want to mount the powerlet on a painted section of the bike, but I also didn't want long lengths of wire dangling and flapping in the wind. I actually purchased my heated gear and did some test fitting before mounting it here:

There's approximately 4" of exposed cable when my gear is plugged in, so it doesn't get in the way or flap in the wind. I went with a powerlet plug because it works well for heated gear, accessories and battery tenders.

BTW, heated gear is WONDERFUL in Oregon. I don't wear heated pants all that often, but the gloves and jackets are well worth the money!

Hmmm... interesting, I like that placement, I was on my bike this morning and also thinking that spot would be good. Any issue with the plug seating flush in that spot? That panel has a little bit of curve to it and the plug is flat... ??

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »

Hmmm... interesting, I like that placement, I was on my bike this morning and also thinking that spot would be good. Any issue with the plug seating flush in that spot? That panel has a little bit of curve to it and the plug is flat... ??

My plug sits completely flush on the outside. It looks like it's part of the bike. Powerlet plugs come with a rubber washer/grommet that mounts between the plug and the bike.

You only need to be concerned about the placement of the hole. A frame section is behind those panel. If you drill the hole too far back, you will have clearance issues. It takes about 60 seconds to remove that panel to see where it should be mounted. I mounted mine as far back as I could so that the plug wouldn't interfere with my legs.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
My plug sits completely flush on the outside. It looks like it's part of the bike. Powerlet plugs come with a rubber washer/grommet that mounts between the plug and the bike.

You only need to be concerned about the placement of the hole. A frame section is behind those panel. If you drill the hole too far back, you will have clearance issues. It takes about 60 seconds to remove that panel to see where it should be mounted. I mounted mine as far back as I could...

Thanks OL!  :chugbeer:

Is the plug that Gerbings sells that I posted a pic of at the beginning of this thread just a standard powerlet plug or is it somehow unique??

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »

Thanks OL!  :chugbeer:

Is the plug that Gerbings sells that I posted a pic of at the beginning of this thread just a standard powerlet plug or is it somehow unique??

The picture you posted is a coaxial power connector. It's physically smaller than a Powerlet plug and typically used for heated gear. Here's a picture of an adapter:

I would have gone with the smaller coaxial plug if I had only wanted to use it for heated gear.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
Understood, thanks OL!  :chugbeer: