Author Topic: Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...  (Read 21903 times)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
Received an email that the super bright LED driving lights I'm using are on sale, $162 for a pair.  Might have to get me another set.

See them here : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_45/products_id/170
And here : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_45/products_id/94

They draw about 2.25 amps each (about 25 watts), and come in black or silver.  The site is a little confusing because they list both the CREE XML T6, and the CREE XML U2, but both pages say XML U2 in the detailed description.  I looked at the data sheet for both LED's, and it looks like the U2's are a little brighter for less current.  Also, the color temp of the ones I have (supposed to be the U2s) are very white (not blue).

These things make driving at night a pleasure (until you have to turn them off for oncoming traffic).  I have them wired directly to my high beams right now, but still have a side project to revamp a PWM controller to run them on the low beams, and use a relay for highs (when I get some free time, with energy).

They are so bright, the reflections from road signs are almost blinding.  When I switch back to low beams, it takes a moment before I can see that my low beam headlights are really working after turning them off.  They throw the light pretty far down the road, while still lighting up the shoulders of the road really well too.  I'm very happy with them.   8)

They also have some lower output versions on sale too : http://24x7diy.com/index.php/cPath/23_45, but why would anyone want less?

Just an F.Y.I. for those that may be interested.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Cuda

Re: Nuclear LED driving lights on sale...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Yeah some of the new lights are BRIGHT
Last week I was making a lefthand turn in front of two bikes stopped at a light ,
I about got blinded :o
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »
So... anybody driving with these on during the day?  :stirpot:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Only those running car tires and using synthetic oil.... you know, outlaws.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

The first day I rode to work with them, I didn't realize I had accidentally connected them to the wrong wire (was in a hurry, installed them that morning).  Absolutely everyone got out of my way on the interstate before I got too close to them.  Didn't know why, but thought it was great, since I was running late.  That evening when I left work I realized they were on with the low beams, off with the high beams.

So yes, but only for one day.  ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
I've had the earlier (2000 lumen) version of these for about 2 years now.  About the only way you can run these during the day is by using a dimmer, with a relay to bypass the dimmer when you hit the bike high beam switch.  I have mine wired so they are on when the bike lo-beam is on but running through the dimmer about 50% or less of full bright.  So not only are they like a daytime running light, they provide a nice add-in to the bike's standard lo-beam at night without oncoming traffic getting pissed off at you.  Same with coming up behind someone.  They'll move over for sure, but they are not so blinding that they change their rear view mirror.  Once you turn the bike high beam on and these come on at the same time, the dark just goes away.  LOVE THEM. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »

Don't get me started!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »
According to their website, those lights put out over 3,000 lumens. If that is true after allowing for sales 'adjustment', then they would be as bright as standard HID lamps. Truly impressive for a solid state light. LED output is increasing almost daily it seems and it looks like the future will be LEDs everywhere.

Brian

Received an email that the super bright LED driving lights I'm using are on sale, $162 for a pair.  Might have to get me another set.

<snip>

Just an F.Y.I. for those that may be interested.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
According to their website, those lights put out over 3,000 lumens. If that is true after allowing for sales 'adjustment', then they would be as bright as standard HID lamps. Truly impressive for a solid state light. LED output is increasing almost daily it seems and it looks like the future will be LEDs everywhere.

Brian

I would like to compare them directly to HIDs at night, but haven't had the opportunity yet.  My guess would be they are as bright or brighter in the first couple hundred yards, but the HID reflectors might get the light out further after that.  However, I doubt I could outrun these things at night, unless I was just being totally stupid.

Another nice thing about the LED lights is they are instant on and at full brightness.  No delays like with HIDs.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:04:51 PM »
Another nice thing about the LED lights is they are instant on and at full brightness.  No delays like with HIDs.

They should also have a longer life, be impervious to jarring (no element or glass to break), and use less power.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Joncon11

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, I just ordered mine. Do you have any install tips? I plan of using an accessory circuit under the glovebox (2011). I guess I have to pick up a weather proof switch of some sort too.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
Thanks for the info, I just ordered mine. Do you have any install tips? I plan of using an accessory circuit under the glovebox (2011). I guess I have to pick up a weather proof switch of some sort too.

Ideally (and legally) you would want to use a relay and wire it to the highbeam circuit to activate the LED's relay so they only come on with high beams.  That also means one less switch to worry about or fail or have to constantly mess with.  Since they are only 5 amps, it *might* be OK to run them directly to the highbeam circuit WITHOUT a relay, but that is kindy iffy...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:40:17 PM by maxtog »

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »

As Max said, using a relay that switches power from a fused, battery powered source, where the relay is controlled by the high beam switch.  That would be ideal.

Mine are still wired directly to the high beam side of the headlights, but some day when I get more time, they wont be.  The power draw is about 2.25 Amps per light, so 4.5 Amps for the pair.  That's probably pushing the stock headlight circuit more than I should be, so I don't recommend it.

If I buy a couple more, then it would force me to finish the electrical side of the installation...

As for mounting locations, there are a few threads on this site with pictures showing where you can easily mount them.  They are very small and light, so there are a few options.  The units I bought are pictured here : http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.msg62370#msg62370

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »

Brian

I was thinking about this a little more, and remembered some details, but then had to go look them up again to be sure.

The CREE XML T6 and U2 LEDs are rated for 1000 lumens each, at about 3 amps.  There are 4 LEDs per light, but they do not run them at max current (a little over half), which will increase the life span of the LEDs.  With the exception of the inefficiency loss of the built in power supply, we could calculate the actual output of the LEDs themselves.  Not sure if the wimpy little reflector would add much.

The measure of lumens isn't a great way to determine the quality of a driving light, but there doesn't seem to be any other industry standard in use.

Here is a link to the LED data sheet, for those who are curious. www.cree.com/products/pdf/xlampxm-l.pdf

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »

is this deal sitll on?
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
is this deal sitll on?

Click on the link in the opening post, and see...

Just clicked myself, and the answer is no.  They're back to regular price.  :(

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
is this deal sitll on?

yeah deal is still on

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »
yeah deal is still on

link or is there a contact?
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »
I think the discount is till end of August

and thank to the thread, i placed an order for myself.

at