Author Topic: City Lights?  (Read 37032 times)

Offline Bagger

Re: City Lights?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
From what I know .... amber is fine in CT (and prolly elsewhere as well).  Like fog lights, eh.

I run amber driving lights on my HDs (when I had them), and on my VTX1300 for years.  No problems.  And, I have amber fogs on my Wing ... which is totally different thing, but still .....

Anyway, the amber lights really set you apart from what else it out there on the road.  Folks in cages notice you (I believe) much more readily than 'ordinary' white bulbs.  Just my opinion.  I like to be a bit different anyway.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Stavee

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
Amber headlights wouldn't be worth a darn in the dark.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »
How about one amber and one white headlight? That would stand out a little, but still give you the light output for dark riding.

Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
I installed the Sylvania 194AN bulbs today, nice and bright with a nice amber contrast. I got these at Advance Auto in case anybody is interested.

BTW, for anyone looking for these, the part number is actually 194NA and I have seen also 194NALL which is an amber "long life" bulb (2 pack at AutoZone for $6). The 194NA single bulb is $2.29 at O'Reilly.

I am going to pick some up for when I do my oil change and a few other things to the bike.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Bagger

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »

I'm not sure  this is true .... I don't ride in the DARK!  With a detached retina, my vision is just OK in the daylight.

Amber works well in FOG, tho.

I did think about 1 white, 1 amber, too .... but, tho't that was tooooo squid.

The headlights are from Autolumination ... H4 60/55W.  I also have some Hella P43t 60/55W  (8GJ 002 525-341).  I don't know the number of the Autolumination bulbs ... they are H4 3500K bulbs.  I got the led city lights there as well.  Can't remember the number.

"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
They actually work very well. More illumination with less glare (for everyone including the person sitting on / in the vehicle with the amber lights). Something around 2,800 K would be ideal if they were available in a package that put out full light. The 3,000 K HIDs are standard HID tubes with covers on them and the light output is reduced substantially. If someone actually produced an HID that produced its natural light in that color range I would give them a try.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »
For those that have replaced the city lights, do you have to remove the lower piece below the headlight to do so or can you reach in from the top after removing the two side panels (where the storage compartment is on the 2010+ models)?

I am planning on doing this tomorrow morning or Sunday morning when it's cooler in the garage but already got the amber bulbs (BTW the amber bulbs are 3.8w compared to 4.6w on the white bulbs).
Scott

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
I do not think you can reach over that lower panel but even if you could, it would not be worth the effort. That panel comes out after removing four push rivets- very easy and fast to do and then the city lights are easy to R&R.

Brian

For those that have replaced the city lights, do you have to remove the lower piece below the headlight to do so or can you reach in from the top after removing the two side panels (where the storage compartment is on the 2010+ models)?

I am planning on doing this tomorrow morning or Sunday morning when it's cooler in the garage but already got the amber bulbs (BTW the amber bulbs are 3.8w compared to 4.6w on the white bulbs).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
[picture]

Yeah, I think we already discussed your highly illegal blue lights...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »

What is the number of the amber bulbs you got? And where did you get them?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
Sylvania 194NALL two-pack for $5.99 at AutoZone.

Thanks Brian, that's what I had figured, but it's always better to get confirmation.
Scott

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
Well, that was:

Got them installed with no problem.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Well, that was:

Got them installed with no problem.

OK, now try to replace your front turn signal bulbs and tell us if you think THAT is easy :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
OK, now try to replace your front turn signal bulbs and tell us if you think THAT is easy :)

Not until they actually go out!   ;)
Scott

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »
Sylvania 194NALL two-pack for $5.99 at AutoZone.

The other post said 194AN,  you have 194NALL whats the difference?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Try doing a search for 194AN and you won't find anything. If you do a search for 194NA you will find the amber bulbs. The LL at the end is Sylvania's way of designating "Long Life" for a bulb.
Scott

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up, I'll pick some up today

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
Did the city light switch, boy those buggers are in there tight! Went to Auto Zone they wanted $5.99 for a 2 pack but they were out of stock, went to Wal-Mart got a 2 pk for $2.49
First picture is white lights 2nd picture is amber

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »
Did the city light switch, boy those buggers are in there tight!First picture is white lights 2nd picture is amber

OK- you are ready for the next amber mod!   http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236