Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41305 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: My next GPS
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
Pick up the GPS tomorrow.  Instructor discounts rock the world ;D

Offline adrexco

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
As an alternative, you can use any of the older TomTom GPS available on ebay for about $15 to $25. There are several style handle bar and ball mounts for around $5. The older TomTom units had a Windows file format so they are easy to modify. I have a TomTom One xls (paid $20). I have cloned the latest TomTom Rider operating system and the latest set of North American Maps (USA, Canada, Mexico, including Alaska). It has a mini USB charging port (bought a 12vdc charger cable for $5). I also got the water proof case (again about $5), and they have integrated blue tooth. The whole set cost about $35. I have two (second one was $15), just in case something happens to the first I have a back up. They work fine, and the latest operating system locks onto satellites fast, and with the Rider version you have one touch hot keys, bike specific routes (twistes), trip stats, and return same route option.   

Son of Pappy

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »
If I was only doing paved routes I would agree, but the ADV rides I do require more and need to be far more rugged.  The ability to overlay topo, map sets, and Birdseye imagery is one of the things that set this apart.  Glonass for enhanced signal reception and Bluetooth to the helmet/Chatterbox XBi Slim complete the package.  Seeing as it fits the mounts I have for the Montana is a big bonus, I have one permanently mounted on the GS and a mount I have for other bikes, complete with SAE plug and standard cig lighter plug.  I also have the auto mount.  We do a fair amount of pre ride scouting and the ability to create track sets on the fly is another cool feature.  And seeing as it has the ability to download android apps for a variety of things I see it as a win win.  Perfect for what I need, and all in one package.  From what I have read you can even create routes on the unit, it seems someone always mentions a can't miss spot or two coupled with suggestions on the way to this must see location.  I wish it came with routable maps, but I can add what I need and Ialready have several of the 10k Topo map sets on CD.  Looking forward to picking it up and playing with it.  I may even mount it to the EXC for Fridays trail ride.  I'd like to build some designated tracks for future use :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
Got it, so far extremely intuitive for those who use the Android system.  Easy is good, if it functions as advertised I have a winner.  Maps to load, settings to set, roads to explore :)

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
I've been reading through the threads researching a purchase of a GPS.  I use a Magellan 7" in my truck. Mainly because....well approaching 50 my eyes aren't what they used to be and I can see what I need to see without having to put on my dollar store cheaters.  Yes I'm still in denial I guess.
My question is this: I want a GPS unit at least a 6" unit and is prefer a 7". I've recently purchased a set of Sena Smh10's   I have an iPhone 5s that I was intending to use for music. In my research I'm finding that a lot of GPS units won't pair/Bluetooth with the new 5s. So I'm guessing a better way to go for music will be a GPS unit that will play music.  I'm new here but already I respect and appreciate the vast experience and expertise I've found. 
Does anyone has suggestions for an inexpensive GPS that will work for me. I can't spend the $$ on a dedicated M/C unit.
AND... With the Murphs risers and wedges the 7" won't fit between the bars now so I'm considering either a left handle bar ram mount or even in a map pouch of a tank bag. 
Thanks for your input everyone
Dan

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Inexpensive?  Hard to find one that does what you are asking of it.  My best music solution was going the hard wire route.  End the end it is less hassle to plug in before taking off, no batteries to charge, or extra buttons to push to make sure it's on.  I'd rig it this way for the GS but I spend too much time on the pegs to make it practical. 
The new Monterra is having routing issues at the moment, works great for tracks, which is how I will use it %99 of the time.  Something really cool, I can stream live vid from my new GoPro Hero3+.  I am certain they wil fix the routing bug, if they don't sales will fall flat.
My Zumo 550 streamed music great, and to date has been the best, most reliable unit I have ever had.  The Montana?  Loses signal way to easy, to the point I spent big coinage on the Monterra.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
Thanks. I was hoping to have my GPS talking to me. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
It is not coming recommended by one of the original thoroughly put through the ringer beta testers on ADVriders, he said to stick with the Montana or whatever else works for ya, hope you have good luck with it though. I have 2 old Garmin 2720's, and I will use them until they die.  :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
It is not coming recommended by one of the original thoroughly put through the ringer beta testers on ADVriders, he said to stick with the Montana or whatever else works for ya, hope you have good luck with it though. I have 2 old Garmin 2720's, and I will use them until they die.  :)
Yep, been in dialogue with him (I am SOP Dirt-Rider on the ADV forum)  If my primary use was routing I would be concerned, really concerned.  So far I plug in address and it works, but I haven't built a route to suffer as those that do.  Tracks, tracks, and more tracks.  Working perfect in that regard.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
As an alternative, you can use any of the older TomTom GPS available on ebay for about $15 to $25. There are several style handle bar and ball mounts for around $5. The older TomTom units had a Windows file format so they are easy to modify. I have a TomTom One xls (paid $20). I have cloned the latest TomTom Rider operating system and the latest set of North American Maps (USA, Canada, Mexico, including Alaska). It has a mini USB charging port (bought a 12vdc charger cable for $5). I also got the water proof case (again about $5), and they have integrated blue tooth. The whole set cost about $35. I have two (second one was $15), just in case something happens to the first I have a back up. They work fine, and the latest operating system locks onto satellites fast, and with the Rider version you have one touch hot keys, bike specific routes (twistes), trip stats, and return same route option.

This sounds pretty good. I have one of these sitting in the garage as I have been using my smart phone for the car. For those of us that are software challenged how hard is it to clone the OS and maps. Seems like if it is in WIndows formats it should seemingly be simple to do. Since I stick to roads (that term is debatable in Ill, In and Southeast Oh) it would see to be a good back up for those places where 3g/4g is variable.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline adrexco

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
It takes basic PC skills and a little investment of time. Everything you need can be found here.

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/

You'll have to register first to get to this link.

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/tomtom-navcore/20974-tomtom-rider-navcore-collection.html

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »
Other than the Zumo units, do any of these Garmin gps pair to the Sena SM10?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
One of the problems with auto GPS's is that they no longer support MP3 (audio music, audio books), often do not support Bluetooth and most of them do not have an audio output jack. The motorcycle units have all of these functions. Older automotive units did also but there are not any being currently being mfg'd. I have a 765T, which was a fairly inexpensive automotive GPS that seems functionally identical in every way with my Zumo 550, except in a couple of areas where it is actually superior.

The other problem with automotive units is that they are usually not readable in sunlight and often not in even bright but non- direct light. That has changed recently and someone pointed out at least one Garmin automotive GPS that was readable in direct sunlight but even that was a rather expensive unit ($400 as I remember). But perhaps it shows a trend toward better screens for all GPS's in the future?

I am having the identical problem with GPS and other instruments as my near- vision is also becoming quite blurry (the 'long arm' disease where you cannot get the restaurant menu far enough away to read it). But I cannot use glasses for any distance so cannot wear reading glasses on the bike. I think a welder's mask magnifying lens might be a good compromise glued in the lower portion of the helmet's visor. They are cheap and readily available in a variety of diopters and you can pick the one that works best for you. You could also get two different ones, cut each one in half and use the better half for each eye.

Brian

I've been reading through the threads researching a purchase of a GPS.  I use a Magellan 7" in my truck. Mainly because....well approaching 50 my eyes aren't what they used to be and I can see what I need to see without having to put on my dollar store cheaters.  Yes I'm still in denial I guess.
My question is this: I want a GPS unit at least a 6" unit and is prefer a 7". I've recently purchased a set of Sena Smh10's   I have an iPhone 5s that I was intending to use for music. In my research I'm finding that a lot of GPS units won't pair/Bluetooth with the new 5s. So I'm guessing a better way to go for music will be a GPS unit that will play music.  I'm new here but already I respect and appreciate the vast experience and expertise I've found. 
Does anyone has suggestions for an inexpensive GPS that will work for me. I can't spend the $$ on a dedicated M/C unit.
AND... With the Murphs risers and wedges the 7" won't fit between the bars now so I'm considering either a left handle bar ram mount or even in a map pouch of a tank bag. 
Thanks for your input everyone
Dan
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-big-screen-magnifier-ram-mag-1u.html

A good write up on the Monterra.
http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article06_gps/article06_monterra.shtml

It seems there are some routing issues, although I have as of yet to have an issue.  I have a 320 mile trip tomorrow so I will give it a shot to see how it does.  Great for tracks, so far two woods/trail rides and it displays accurate tracks.

If you are really bored, read up from intitial "rumor" to release.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898282

I'm liking it so far, minor issues, but much better reception than my Montana gets and far easier to use (so far anyway).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
One of the problems with auto GPS's is that they no longer support MP3[...]The other problem with automotive units is that they are usually not readable in sunlight[...]

And the remaining problems are that if they use a capacitive touchscreen, that won't work with motorcycle gloves, they rarely have any hard buttons, they are not weatherproof, they don't include appropriate mounts, and they are not as shock/vibration resistant.

I am having the identical problem with GPS and other instruments as my near- vision is also becoming quite blurry

That is happening to me too now, hence bifocals.  But I do not wear glasses on the bike, so seeing the small screen is becoming more difficult all the time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Broz

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Other than the Zumo units, do any of these Garmin gps pair to the Sena SM10?
If you have the Sena SMH10 you could consider getting a Sena SR10 and use an audio cable for the GPS audio out port to the SR10 and you would have audio turn by turn in your helmet.   I use it w my Zumo but primarily got the SR-10 to link the radar detector audio alerts straight to my helmet speakers of the Sena SMH10.  With this set up you get phone Bluetooth, music from the smartphone, GPS turn by turn and radar detector alerts.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
Even the new Zumos have no hard buttons and more is the pity IMO. As far as the vibration goes, not sure about that myself- the failure rate is pretty high on the 'hardened' units and even if they do last longer, given the 3X price I do not think it is three times better.

Mounts and weatherproof are pretty easy given something like a Ram Aquamount; I have one and it works quite well on a Nuvi 765.

But the MP3, Bluetooth and daylight readable screens are 'deal killers' for me. They render the unit inoperable regarding audio, cell phone connection and in the end, the ability to see it during the daytime.

On the focus issue: welder's lenses in the bottom of the visor of your helmet. Cheap (less than $10), fairly easy (you would have to glue / tape it (them if you cut it in half to blend in with the visor better)) to install. If someone really wanted to go nuts, that person could make a small mount to hold the lens in place but allow it to be removed for easy cleaning.

Brian

And the remaining problems are that if they use a capacitive touchscreen, that won't work with motorcycle gloves, they rarely have any hard buttons, they are not weatherproof, they don't include appropriate mounts, and they are not as shock/vibration resistant.

That is happening to me too now, hence bifocals.  But I do not wear glasses on the bike, so seeing the small screen is becoming more difficult all the time.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-big-screen-magnifier-ram-mag-1u.html

A good write up on the Monterra.
http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article06_gps/article06_monterra.shtml

It seems there are some routing issues, although I have as of yet to have an issue.  I have a 320 mile trip tomorrow so I will give it a shot to see how it does.  Great for tracks, so far two woods/trail rides and it displays accurate tracks.

If you are really bored, read up from intitial "rumor" to release.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898282

I'm liking it so far, minor issues, but much better reception than my Montana gets and far easier to use (so far anyway).

Good to know...thanks!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
On the focus issue: welder's lenses in the bottom of the visor of your helmet. Cheap (less than $10), fairly easy (you would have to glue / tape it (them if you cut it in half to blend in with the visor better)) to install. If someone really wanted to go nuts, that person could make a small mount to hold the lens in place but allow it to be removed for easy cleaning.

I wonder if a flexible, cling-on, Fresnel lens exists?  Quick- patent potential!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc