Author Topic: SOPA & PIPA  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Jettn Jim

• NE PA Some on High Adventure Most!^)-
Re: SOPA & PIPA
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
Thanx for combining these threads.... A quote I copy/pasted from a Member of ADV today.
 "The reason I heard about it was because of Wikipedia. Their reasoning wasn't really in depth, so I looked a little and americancensorship.org had/have brilliant explanations about how it's going to affect all of us, not just here in the US, but everywhere.
It would be damn hard, if not impossible to run a website like this one, if SOPA passes. I would almost say I wouldn't dare have it, unless it got under the protective umbrella of one of those multis like AOL, CBS, MNBC, Microsoft and filled to the brim with commercials, but all content approved by (I inserted-Rick and Jims) new Masters. And that is exactly their point with this law, control what people see and use and make 'em pay through the nose for it"
If it raised awareness about these bills to the masses, then any small price we would've payed in inconvenience of a site blackout would've been a small one compared to losing these sites ability to function freely.
Not try'n to argue with anyone.... just saying.
Thanx for your time,
Jim

EDIT: to above
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:02:55 PM by Jettn Jim »
BECAUSE ONE HAS SIGHT...DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS VISION...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
Again....my vote is no.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
Again....my vote is no.
:rotflmao: It was past tense.....

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Again....my vote is no.
Voting again?  What are you, a dead Illinois Democrat?    ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:50 AM »
Vote early, vote often is my motto...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »
:rotflmao: It was past tense.....

Again my vote was no...  is no.....  will be no...  Nein, Nein, Nein, Nein, Nein!   Non! Nyet! Mhai! Naagga! And etc...  ;)

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 05:27:01 AM »
What, do you expect things to go your way without putting in any work/experiencing any inconvenience Jim?
How about how Google handled it? would you approve of something like that?

Did you write your Rep's to express yourself?
Or are you relying on your Reps to just do what is in your best interests?

FTR anyone who went to WIKI and read their declaration all the way to the end would have discovered that they could access the Wiki site by disabling JAVA script. POOF! Fixed.
Unfortunately many people have opinions that they don't feel the need to check against the available info. So most people never read that far...
'02 C-10

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 05:28:49 AM »
We're all about sound bites and instant gratification. A product of society since the forties.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
What, do you expect things to go your way without putting in any work/experiencing any inconvenience Jim?

Yes

How about how Google handled it? would you approve of something like that?

Have no clue on how Google handled it.  Don't care.

Did you write your Rep's to express yourself? No.  I just howled at the moon.
Or are you relying on your Reps to just do what is in your best interests?  Right, like I trust those people...

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Before this gets into a pissing contest I'd like to post this Video... it's the best information I've seen to totally explain the implications of these bills.
They would impact this sight if passed
It's 11:15 of accurate info not just propaganda.

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/sopa-and-pipa?playlist=American+Civics

Thanx Jim

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »
I don't think it's a 'pi**ng' contest.  You have your opinions, others have theirs.  Quite frankly, while I enjoy working the 'Net', if it went away, I'd spend more time working, more time with my family, and more time watching TV, and possibly more time riding.  I don't use the social networks so if they disappeared it wouldn't affect me at all.  I'm one of those people that while I live quite a bit with the 'Net' and it's websites I could survive without it in it's present form, therefore I while I do care somewhat about what's going on, I don't care that much.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
I just heard on the radio the congress stopped action on these two bills. Don't know any details yet.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I just heard on the radio the congress stopped action on these two bills. Don't know any details yet.

I'm sure all the fervor from the blackouts caused them to do this. But we must be vigilant because it will rear its ugly head again and they will probably try to do it quietly by renaming and attaching to some other more popular bill.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
Watching the news I see old crooked whale excrement Christopher Dodd [ former D-Ct senator] who didn't run for re-election because EVERYONE knew he was a crook, is CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America.   :o
Dodd is the bagman for SOPA & PIPA
Your government for sale everyday.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Makes me wonder (no, not really) why we would need something like SOPA/ PIPA, if existing law, when enforced, seems work just fine.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248454/megauploads_owner_faces_charges_in_court.html

Offline Jettn Jim

SOPA & PIPA
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »

Yea Dodd is the Chairman of the MPAA and he may have learned a new respect for the general populous.
Just recieved this email this afternoon from... info@fightforthefuture.org

Hi everyone!

A big hurrah to you!!!!! We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game.  You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday.  See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled.  “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added." 

Tweet with us, shout on the internet with us, let's celebrate: Round of applause to the 13 million people who stood up  - #PIPA and #SOPA are tabled 4 now. #13millionapplause

We're indebted to everyone who helped in the beginning of this movement -- you, and all the sites that went out on a limb to protest in November -- Boing Boing and Mozilla Foundation (and thank you Tumblr, 4chan)! And the grassroots groups -- Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation, Demand Progress, CDT, and many more.

#SOPA and #PIPA will likely return in some form.  But when they do, we'll be ready.  Can you make a donation to Fight for the Future, to help us keep this fire going? 

We changed the game this fall, and we're not gonna stop.  $8, $20, every little bit helps. 

13 million strong,

Tiffiniy, Holmes, Joshua, Phil, CJ, Donny, Douglas, Nicholas, Dean, David S. and Moore... Fight for the Future!

P.S.  China's internet censorship system reminds us why the fight for democratic principles is so important:

In the New Yorker:  "Fittingly, perhaps, the discussion has unfolded on Weibo, the Twitter-like micro-blogging site that has a team of censors on staff to trim posts with sensitive political content. That is the arrangement that opponents of the bill have suggested would be required of American sites if they are compelled to police their users’ content for copyright violations. On Weibo, joking about SOPA’s similarities to Chinese censorship was sensitive enough that some posts on the subject were almost certainly deleted (though it can be hard to know).
After Chinese Web users got over the strangeness of hearing Americans debate the merits of screening the Web for objectionable content, they marvelled at the American response. Commentator Liu Qingyan wrote:

‘We should learn something from the way these American Internet companies protested against SOPA and PIPA. A free and democratic society depends on every one of us caring about politics and fighting for our rights. We will not achieve it by avoiding talk about politics.’"

Amen
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:37:01 AM by Jettn Jim »

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:39 PM »
Makes me wonder (no, not really) why we would need something like SOPA/ PIPA, if existing law, when enforced, seems work just fine.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248454/megauploads_owner_faces_charges_in_court.html

I'd amend that and say 'enforced correctly'.  We've had some DMCA takedowns recently that have bypassed due process, causing some embarrassing moments as a result, not to mention causing damage to innocent websites and individuals in the process.

What we need is a more even handed approach where due process is balanced against the rights of copyright owners.  SOPA and PIPA really weighted this against individual rights, but I worry that similar (if not the same) legislation will rear it's ugly head soon.

And we need to take the badges out of the hands of the Film and Music industry and put them into the hands of law enforcement agencies that are properly trained to handle this, and that will take the time to look at both sides before issuing a takedown notice.

In other news, as I'm sure you all saw, Megaupload was taken down this week.  While there is a lot of copyrighted material that is illegally distributed through their servers, one complaint I heard today was that Megaupload had not been contacted with takedown notices and such before this action.  As to how true that is, I have no idea (knowing how fervent Hollywood and the Music Industry are about this, I seriously doubt they weren't contacted before this) but as many legitimate users use Megaupload in a perfectly legal manner, it does make you wonder...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »
If a law is bad, replace it with a good one, one that is in line with the COTUSA, and repeal the old broken law.  Don't just add a new one.
If it were not for this site being up and running I would not have seen what was going on, so I say thanks again Rick, ya kept an atmosphere conducive to a good confab.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 05:26:23 AM »
If a law is bad, replace it with a good one, one that is in line with the COTUSA, and repeal the old broken law.  Don't just add a new one.
If it were not for this site being up and running I would not have seen what was going on, so I say thanks again Rick, ya kept an atmosphere conducive to a good confab.

:thumbs: :thumbs:  SOP

Anything affillated with the MPAA is now on my do not touch list because of their choice of Dodd.
I sent them a e-mail with my intention of fighting them on anything due to their CEO Dodd.
Boycott MPAA. Steal from them like Dodd stole from us/US.