Author Topic: This heat sucks  (Read 9796 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
This heat sucks
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
We have already had a few days of 100° temps. Today is expected to be 103°. No fun at all to ride in, and it started early this year. All thru May we were about 10° above average for the highs and almost the same for the lows. This is beginning to remind me of 2 years ago when we set a record for the most days of 100° or above (57). We've already had 5 days over 100° and many more days nearly at 100°. Not to mention that since the beginning of the year we have had about 4 inches of rain where we would normally have about 14 inches.

Offline GeeBeav

Re: This heat sucks
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »
Same here in Matagorda County. Normally you can cool off a little out on the highway, but not when it's this hot. And in town in traffic, fuggitaboudit.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
I think that I know where all your rain is going. All the rivers in the area are at or near flood stage. Our avg temps are way below normal too. The low temps are fine with me.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Woke up this Morning, looked at the temp gauge, checked the calendar.  It looked like January, 41 degrees this Morning, and, yep, it's June.  What is this heat you speak of?

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
Oro Valley AZ
Elevation 2703 ft
Now Clear Temperature
96.6 °F
 103 °F Clear
Tonight 72 °F Clear
Tomorrow 101 °F Clear
Saturday 101 | 70° F Clear
Sunday 101 | 68° F Clear
Monday 101 | 68° F Clear

Yea, Hot and no rain in sight!!
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Woke up this Morning, looked at the temp gauge, checked the calendar.  It looked like January, 41 degrees this Morning, and, yep, it's June.  What is this heat you speak of?

+1...

41 degrees on my ride into work this morning, the high is supposed to be 68 here today in Portland. But it's dry!!!  ;D   8)

Last day of school for my girls today, now I need to open up the pool, thank god we have a heater...  ;)

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
I'll take 100 degrees any day of the week over 60 or lower.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »
20 degree temp swing, it's a sweltering 61!!  The best temp bar none for riding, I shoulda rode the KLR today (fair weather bike) 8)  Like ZG said, it's dry, at least for the next 10 minutes ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
I'll take 100 degrees any day of the week over 60 or lower.

I'm just the opposite. I'll take the cooler temps anytime. I can dress warmer but when it's hot, not a whole lot you can do except sweat.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
20 degree temp swing, it's a sweltering 61!!  The best temp bar none for riding, I shoulda rode the KLR today (fair weather bike) 8)  Like ZG said, it's dry, at least for the next 10 minutes ;)

There you go, 61 is just about perfect.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »

+1...

41 degrees on my ride into work this morning, the high is supposed to be 68 here today in Portland. But it's dry!!!  ;D   8)

Last day of school for my girls today, now I need to open up the pool, thank god we have a heater...  ;)

I opened up mine the end of May, got two days of swimming in before the weather turned to crap. The water is perfectly clear, just too cold to swim. No heater for me.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
I opened up mine the end of May, got two days of swimming in before the weather turned to crap. The water is perfectly clear, just too cold to swim. No heater for me.

We did 5 years with no heater, made for a very short season...  :(

Put in a heater last year and now we get an extra month or 2 of use out of it a year, should have just done it from the beginning!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »

We did 5 years with no heater, made for a very short season...  :(

Put in a heater last year and now we get an extra month or 2 of use out of it a year, should have just done it from the beginning!

With all this global warming I may have to go with a heater after all.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18:50 PM »
Pools are the biggest money pits, after my pool in Spokane, I swear, never again.  There are way to many lakes and streams to swim in that dont require the maintenance a pool does without the added nuisance of all the neighborhood kids stopping in for a quick dip!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
Pools are the biggest money pits, after my pool in Spokane, I swear, never again.  There are way to many lakes and streams to swim in that dont require the maintenance a pool does without the added nuisance of all the neighborhood kids stopping in for a quick dip!

It's less of a money pit then bikes though...  ;)

And there's just something about kicking it around the pool with our kids on nice summer days, good times for sure! Our girls are getting older though and will be out of the house in a couple years, at that point I definately don't think it will get as much use with just my wife and I...

I do use baquacil though instead of chlorine, makes maintence alot easier IMO, I check it once a week and add the baquacil every other week, good to go!  8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »

It's less of a money pit then bikes though...  ;)

And there's just something about kicking it around the pool with our kids on nice summer days, good times for sure! Our girls are getting older though and will be out of the house in a couple years, at that point I definately don't think it will get as much use with just my wife and I...

I do use baquacil though instead of chlorine, makes maintence alot easier IMO, I check it once a week and add the baquacil every other week, good to go!  8)

I use Soft Swim, same thing as Baquacil though. It's pretty easy, even for me. No kids to deal with, unless the grandsons come for a visit, just me and the wife these days. Nothing like floating on a hot day and bellying up to the bar for a cold one or six.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
I have this ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »
I use Soft Swim, same thing as Baquacil though. It's pretty easy, even for me. No kids to deal with, unless the grandsons come for a visit, just me and the wife these days. Nothing like floating on a hot day and bellying up to the bar for a cold one or six.

Indeed!!  :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »