Author Topic: Opinions On My Monkey Tyre Fitment  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Pillow

Opinions On My Monkey Tyre Fitment
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:56:24 AM »
I used to have a ST1300.  Had a rear tyre (170 60 R17) ready to fit, but sold the bike on the hurry when the problems came rushing in.  Anyway, still have the tyre and a GTR1400 with a Kojaked rear tyre.

So.... what do you guys think about fitting the Pan tyre to the Connie?  Touring season is over for me until about May, so the bike will be bolt upright on my 55 mile commute.

I know nobody is going to think it's a good idea  :facepalm:, but what I'm asking is;

-  Will it stay on the wheel?
-  Will handling be acceptable?

I am the kinda guy who likes to live a champagne lifestyle on lemonade money  ;D

Offline Pillow

Re: Opinions On My Monkey Tyre Fitment
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 03:58:40 AM »
On a separate note, any experience of 'dark siding' a Connie?  Not doing it now, but may consider it in the future.  It's not something that us Brits seem to do.  Seems more of an 'across the pond' kinda thing to do.

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »
It will be about 14mm taller and 20mm narrower.
Speedometer will be off 2.2%.
I say go for it. If ridden as you say.
I’m always looking for cheap tires for my commuter.

Offline tynesidebob

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »
If you do manage to get it to seat on the rim (very unlikely), it won’t take much of a pot hole to make it fall off again. As for the handling, I freely change tyre sizes on my bikes to find the best setup, but I would never try that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
What is a "pan tire" or a "monkey tire"?  A car tire???
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
I will never turn to the dark side. I can't imagine putting a car tire on my bike and having any faith in its ability to take any turn at speed. Even if 99% of my mileage was going in a straight line on the highway, I wouldn't feel confident taking the on-ramp turn to get onto it!

Having said that, every forum I've belonged to had a group of adamant followers of the dark side. I can't say I ever remember someone losing control and stating it was due to their car tire on the rear, but who knows. I think it's like oil threads... every forum has them and there are people defending 'their corner' to the end of time.

If you do it, please share some pictures!

Offline Pillow

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »
What is a "pan tire" or a "monkey tire"?  A car tire???

Pan TYRE= tyre for a Pan European (ST1300).

Monkey is British slang for a bodge (kind of).  Rather outdated term.

A car tyre is one of the round, black thingies at each corner of a car  :nuts:

And it's spelled 'tyre', not tire.  Write using the Queen's, old boy  :rotflmao:

Offline 1951VBS

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »
I have been in the Motorcycle Industry for 25 years and I don't mind going with a larger tyre, or maybe even a car tyre but I really don't advise downsizing.  Over the years I have seen a lot of things people have done and gotten away with but they might just have been lucky.  The 170/60 and the 190/50 have different load ratings and different size contact patches that affect braking and cornering performance.  Just my 2 cents.

As far as car tyres...The main thing that bothers me is that the bead of auto tyres and MC tyres are quite different.  Plus the obvious flatter profile of the car tyre.  That being said, it is hard to argue with when a guy named Yellow Wolf rides his Goldwing (with car tyre) faster than most sportbikes on the Tail of the Dragon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XLJNLpzxQ&t=85s

As far as I know of, he has had no problems.  The only issue I have ever seen documented with using a car tyre was an IBA rider that had a rear car tyre hydroplane his K1600 and crashed him out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 01:48:36 PM »

A car tyre is one of the round, black thingies at each corner of a car  :nuts:

And it's spelled 'tyre', not tire.  Write using the Queen's, old boy  :rotflmao:

;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »

Ok, thanks.  So we are not talking about using a car tire.  That is good.

No thanks, I will use American English, which is no less correct :)  Saves a lot of typing unnecessary "u"'s, as a bonus!

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/05/america-drop-u-british-spellings
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
On a separate note, any experience of 'dark siding' a Connie?  Not doing it now, but may consider it in the future.  It's not something that us Brits seem to do.  Seems more of an 'across the pond' kinda thing to do.

Darkside?  I am summoned ...
What would you like to know, grasshopper?
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 03:37:59 AM »
Whilst I personally have no problem with others going to the Darkside, I must point out that Pillow lives in the UK and fitting car tyres to motorcycle wheels is totally illegal here. For trikes and sidecar outfits you can get wheels that allow the use of car tyres, but on 2 wheelers it is illegal.
https://fasttrackmotorcycles.co.uk/mot/mot-checks/tyres-and-wheels/
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »
Well now...you've just stopped being silly and I just don't know what to say... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline faseljd

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
I darkside and will never go back

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 01:35:44 AM »
Dirtie,
Stick with factory approved tyres installed by the little drone at the factory approved dealer. Confidence is important.

I have some interesting reasons that I run car tyres. I use truck oil too. But most folks shouldnt. You definitely shouldnt.
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!