Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 888344 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2700 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
 if I didn't have bad luck...
Actually to get hit hard enough to mess up the front end of a car and just ride away...
I am feeling kinda invincible.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2701 on: May 31, 2017, 09:17:24 PM »
Got her rear ended by a pretty young girl in a Toyota today. Was behind a short line of cars on a rural road, everyone slowed for the first car to make a left turn, except the girl behind me.

Very sorry to hear about that, very glad you are OK.  I wish people would stop looking at their damn phones when driving (of course I don't know that happened in this case, but odds are really, really high).  I often worry about being rear ended, which is why I have the extra brake/tail lights, modulated brake lights, and watch people behind me and will let go and flash brakes again when someone new is approaching too fast.  Good thinking to let go at the last second and plan some!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2702 on: May 31, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Well Bob, first of all let me also say that it is great to hear you are all right, at least you sound all right and mention NO PHYSICAL problems! Certainly the most important thing.

Now, I have to ask: I assume this is the '08 you were riding and the '09 is still suffering with a case of 'compressionitis' back in the garage? If this is so, are you now down TWO bikes? Yikes!

That said, I must compliment your attitude toward this whole thing, especially in a world full of over- reaction and frankly, incredibly bad behavior. And my compliments for taking this whole thing so well.... I am going to assume you treated everyone, the driver, the folks who tried, or actually did help, and everyone else with manners and grace. For the record, THIS is how one acts in a social world folks, and I nominate Bob for 'best behavior of the month'. And because it is the end of the month, let us extend it to June. Seriously, way to go Bob!

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, I assume this will speed up the search for another C-14?

With the very best thoughts to you,
Brian

Got her rear ended by a pretty young girl in a Toyota today. Was behind a short line of cars on a rural road, everyone slowed for the first car to make a left turn, except the girl behind me. I heard squealing tires and looked in the mirror and saw an orange sedan closing fast. I let of the brakes and swerved right onto the shoulder to avoid the pickup truck in front of me but felt an impact and saw something fly past on my right into the ditch. That was my right saddle bag. I came to a stop and parked. The other vehicle and three witnesses also stopped. The Toyota had a lot of front end damage.  Eveyone was amazed I did not go down, including me.

I had pinned my bags but the left pin had recently been lost and replaced with a zip tie. That broke, allowing the bag to fly off. Both of the orange latches were snapped off. The pin on the left bag was pretzeled but held, the bag pivoting on it and sticking straight up. The license plate is mildy crumpled and at first I thought the rear fender was mangled as it looked sideways and all crazy. Further inspection showed it was ok, just had a piece of Toyota inner fender wrapped around it! My sweet Area P CF slip on was broken in two

Had four different LEO jurisdictions on hand, very helpful. Two were riders themselves. One provided some very large zip ties (probably used as cuffs in other scenarios) to secure my bags as well as the Toyota's fender.
The biker leos hung around after the paperwork to make sure I could ride home ok. When I cranked her up they both said in unison: "sound great!" lol

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2703 on: June 01, 2017, 04:00:50 AM »
if I didn't have bad luck...
Actually to get hit hard enough to mess up the front end of a car and just ride away...
I am feeling kinda invincible.

Glad to hear that you came out without injury! Amazing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2704 on: June 01, 2017, 04:32:07 AM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2705 on: June 01, 2017, 05:08:36 AM »
I'm very glad you're OK Bob.
That's funny, the open exhaust and the Police saying it "sounds great".  ;D
I've got to ask, can you get it fixed in time to leave for Colorado?   ???

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2706 on: June 01, 2017, 07:06:13 AM »
Thanks guys! Really warms the heart read the kind words. Woke up a bit depressed and hung over but feel much better now! Physically I am perfectly well, at least no aches and pains that were't already there. And yes, I think I somehow managed to  behave like a gentleman :o The pretty little girl was crying and babbling I'm sorry, what else could I do? And the Leos and witnesses were all very kind and helpful.
Yes, Brian the 09 is def. out of commission. Tested the black 09 bags on the 08 and they are snug and actually look good. Put the black mirrors and air foils on as well and I kinda like the look. Always was an Okland Raiders fan... In a few minute I'm going to pull the Area P off and put the Delkevic on and take her for a test ride make sure everything feels right. If it does she should be ready to go.
 Thanks again!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2707 on: June 01, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
Just saw this.
Glad your ok!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2708 on: June 02, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
Ouch. Was she texting or otherwise yapping on her phone?
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2709 on: June 02, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2710 on: June 02, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
I have been giving it a lot of thought since the amount of damage to the Toyota suggest an impact that should have sent me flying. I think the combination of my carbon fiber slip on and my pinned bags sort of created a crumple zone that absorbed a lot of force.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2711 on: June 02, 2017, 11:54:21 PM »
I have been giving it a lot of thought since the amount of damage to the Toyota suggest an impact that should have sent me flying. I think the combination of my carbon fiber slip on and my pinned bags sort of created a crumple zone that absorbed a lot of force.

Are you saying that if you still had the OEM bazooka on the bike, that you'd be in the hospital now?    ???

I'm not buying it, (although I wouldn't doubt that the Toyota would have been totaled  ;D ) but, of all the reasons I've heard folks changing out their muffler yours is the best.  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2712 on: June 03, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
Are you saying that if you still had the OEM bazooka on the bike, that you'd be in the hospital now?    ???

I'm not buying it, (although I wouldn't doubt that the Toyota would have been totaled  ;D ) but, of all the reasons I've heard folks changing out their muffler yours is the best.  :thumbs:

If he still had the OEM bazooka on the bike there's no doubt that the gal who hit him would have seen him in time and stopped.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2713 on: June 03, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
Cleaned it, waxed it & showed it to a potential buyer. :'(
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

sailor_chic

« Reply #2714 on: June 03, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
I sat on mine and made engine noises  :(

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2715 on: June 07, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Found more danage, these pictures say it all:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2716 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »
Sorry to see that Bob but it does take away any 'wiggle room' on the condition of the bike: the frame is toast.

I do not spend other peoples' money, and I would never tell anyone what he / she should do but..... I hope you get another bike you like as much and is perhaps better in some way(s) than both the '08 and '09 C-14 you had. Maybe newer, maybe just shiner, maybe both of those and more. Put another way, I hope these two bad- luck events (the '09 valve- lunch incident and the '08 accident) end up with you coming out ahead at least in some ways. The very best wishes and the best of luck going forward (and man, could you use a dose of good luck given recent events!!!).

Brian

Found more danage, these pictures say it all:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2717 on: June 07, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »
Thanks Brian, not sure what I will do but it will all be good before too long. Heading for AR in the van to borrow a bud's RT to ride to the MSTA national in Colorado Springs.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2718 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
Thanks Brian, not sure what I will do but it will all be good before too long. Heading for AR in the van to borrow a bud's RT to ride to the MSTA national in Colorado Springs.

"Some day you will look back at this and laugh".. who the hell said that anyway?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2719 on: June 07, 2017, 08:59:02 PM »
Glad to hear you have yet a third alternate. And who knows- you may find you like the blue and white roundrel. ?? Have a good and safe trip.

Brian