Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 888785 times)

elp_jc

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1820 on: January 13, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
And now you know why there is a warning :)
Indeed. And also why no range is displayed, since it's not accurate. He he. Now return that useless gadget and get a refund. Ha ha. And yes, to clear the screen you just press both buttons at the same time and all functions come back, except range, which only shows '--' as Maxtog indicated. But the red warning light remains, which is fine with me as a reminder you need to get fuel soon. By the way, I always fill up at EVERY stop, because you never know if a station will be closed, or whatever. Especially in smaller towns. I never use the 'eco' mode, don't ride leisurely at all, and got 230 miles out of the tank as the warning turned on when entering the gas station. So probably a 250-mile tank. This was on the mountains, but an incredible range nonetheless. That's why I'm not going to mess with the bike at all. Have no issues with anything other than would like a bit more power. But bike is fast enough as it is 8).

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1821 on: January 13, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
Indeed. And also why no range is displayed, since it's not accurate. He he. Now return that useless gadget and get a refund. Ha ha. And yes, to clear the screen you just press both buttons at the same time and all functions come back, except range, which only shows '--' as Maxtog indicated. But the red warning light remains, which is fine with me as a reminder you need to get fuel soon. By the way, I always fill up at EVERY stop, because you never know if a station will be closed, or whatever. Especially in smaller towns. I never use the 'eco' mode, don't ride leisurely at all, and got 230 miles out of the tank as the warning turned on when entering the gas station. So probably a 250-mile tank. This was on the mountains, but an incredible range nonetheless. That's why I'm not going to mess with the bike at all. Have no issues with anything other than would like a bit more power. But bike is fast enough as it is 8).

What's going on Juan? Are you telling me that your 2015, in REGULAR mode (not switching it to ECONOMY mode) is getting 230 a tank before stopping for fuel and you're not light on the throttle?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1822 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
You can't compare mpg between riders.  There's too many variables.  Same as with tire mileages.  I got 50+ mpg a couple of times and in those instances it was in the mountains on Interstate.  Screens, screen position, outside temp at the moment, what gas you are using, how much load you are carrying, stop and go, slow and go, gears being used, and on and on and on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1823 on: January 13, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
Well thanks for the kind words but I really do not think they apply- I am just not that smart. I know this because there are, and always have been, some smart people around and they have left their marks (Easy Boys! Not those kinds of marks!) so that the rest of us can struggle to follow along.

And I certainly did not mean to say that you did anything wrong, just that when getting that close with a range (or any other type) of estimating device, I think it is really 'teasing the tiger'.

We are all equals here, just discussing different things and I happen to like the technical aspect of machines. So I really suggest everyone take everything I say with a grain of salt 'cause you never know when it will turn out to be wrong..... or at least I never know when I am going to be wrong or I would avoid it everytime. :-)

Brian

Hi Brian and I have learned...won't happen again, sorry :-[ When guys like Brian (or Steve) chime in and comment on your "mistake" it's like hearing from the Good Lord above after you've done something wrong...that feeling of shame! That's a total exaggeration but you know what I mean :P!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1824 on: January 13, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
Well, that is certainly a valid way to look at it.

On the other side of the coin, I found a "low fuel warning" with more than a full gallon left in a sub- six gallon tank to be.... less than stellar. Plus once that warning goes off, there is nothing left to use as a count- down device, range or fuel level gauge, so most people either 1) get fuel ASAP, thereby effectively making the already small fuel tank even smaller (speaking of useful range here) or 2) count miles from the time the warning went off, which is the worst of both worlds IMO as there is absolutely nothing even estimating in that situation.

But hey, that is why ice cream comes in flavors, right? :-)

Brian

And now you know why there is a warning :)

I don't like the warning taking over the display and REMOVING the range function, but I certainly don't want to lose my warning either.

No.  You have to clear the warning, which requires pressing both buttons in a specific way, THEN you can use the computer again, but not the range function, which is left at "--"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1825 on: January 13, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »
Well thanks for the kind words but I really do not think they apply- I am just not that smart. I know this because there are, and always have been, some smart people around and they have left their marks (Easy Boys! Not those kinds of marks!) so that the rest of us can struggle to follow along.

And I certainly did not mean to say that you did anything wrong, just that when getting that close with a range (or any other type) of estimating device, I think it is really 'teasing the tiger'.

We are all equals here, just discussing different things and I happen to like the technical aspect of machines. So I really suggest everyone take everything I say with a grain of salt 'cause you never know when it will turn out to be wrong..... or at least I never know when I am going to be wrong or I would avoid it everytime. :-)

Brian

I know you weren't implying that I did anything wrong...just having fun at your expense ;)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1826 on: January 13, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
Ah, well then, that is fine :-)  I can be a pretty fun guy myself at times.

Brian

I know you weren't implying that I did anything wrong...just having fun at your expense ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1827 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
You can't compare mpg between riders.  There's too many variables.

+1

LOTS of factors, with the most important one being aerodynamics, by far.  And that can vary greatly depending on windscreen type, screen height setting, rider position, rider height, helmet type, cross winds, etc, etc.

My warning typically comes on between 180 and 190 miles, I think.  At which time I immediately clear my TRIP B odometer, knowing I have less than 40 miles remaining (and 25 to be really safe).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1828 on: January 13, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
On the other side of the coin, I found a "low fuel warning" with more than a full gallon left in a sub- six gallon tank to be.... less than stellar.

It is crazy!  I think it should have been more like 0.75 gal left.  But the flashing take-over thing was the worst ever....  Just flash for 30 sec and then leave the red light on (and repeat if started.  Yeesh)  Oh and then it should automatically set a trip meter at that point so you know how far since then (and don't have to do it manually).  Not sure if it is better or worse than the old days when the bike started acting freaky and then finally- oh, and reach down and switch to reserve.  Ah, the good 'ol days.... make sure to turn that sucker BACK when you fill it OR ELSE!

Only once on the Concours did I forget to set the trip meter on warning and then got distracted and then after 20 minutes (or was it 10?  or 25?  or 15?) I kinda panicked because I had no idea what was left so I sought out fuel IMMEDIATELY (and ended up paying an INSANE price for it too).  Grrrrrrrr

Knock on wood- I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER run out of fuel on any vehicle... but came REALLY close once... car sputtered itself off seconds after I was at a pump.  And no, doing that (running the fuel system to dry) on a fuel injected vehicle is NOT a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:33:23 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #1829 on: January 13, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
And probably faster than it took my wife to ravel the 2 miles with a gas can :rotflmao: :rotflmao:!

Mr. P/W, pls. consider this action of your wife to be a thinly veiled passive/aggressive swipe at your masculinity, and she will escalate these episodes whenever appropriate to her feminine wiles. ::)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1830 on: January 14, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »
Just flash for 30 min sec and then leave the red light on

FIFY

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1831 on: January 14, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lithium-Battery-BikeMaster-Kawasaki-ZX-11-ZX-12R-ZX-14-ZX1200-ZX1400-ZZR1200-/361295882408?fits=Year%3A2010%7CMake%3AKawasaki%7CModel%3AConcours+14&hash=item541ee9a8a8:g:VEgAAOSwPcVVqHGC&vxp=mtr
Just ordered this battery for my Connie. She laid down on me yesterday, and I had to suffer and take the ZX14R. I'll get over it, after my battery shows up. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #1832 on: January 14, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
Mr. P/W, pls. consider this action of your wife to be a thinly veiled passive/aggressive swipe at your masculinity, and she will escalate these episodes whenever appropriate to her feminine wiles. ::)

took you long enough...sheesh ;)!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1833 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1834 on: January 14, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
FIFY

LOL yeah, thanks  I will edit the post :)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1835 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »
Removed bodywork to access the battery, and removed the battery. Talk about a pain. ::)
At least I'll be ready when the new one shows. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1836 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Well don't forget which way it went in  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #1837 on: January 15, 2016, 03:13:54 PM »
Installed brand new Shorai lithium battery today, I cannot believe how fast it turns over now !!. 315 cca & 21 amp hour  :hail:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1838 on: January 15, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
Installed brand new Shorai lithium battery today, I cannot believe how fast it turns over now !!

Yeah, well, wait until the battery is COLD :)   (I believe lithium is much more temperature sensitive than SLA)

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #1839 on: January 15, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
Yeah, well, wait until the battery is COLD :)   (I believe lithium is much more temperature sensitive than SLA)
Shori batteries are pretty good in the cold. I have one in my dirt bike & it was cranking  over last week in the low 40's just as good as when in the 90's. I'm not to worried about any lower than 30's here in central florida. The key to starting with a lithium battery in very cold weather "not Florida" is to turn on the lights for about a minute before cranking over, That warms the battery & it then has the same power as in warmer weather. My friends up north have them in their snowmobiles & swear by them  :chugbeer: 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black