Author Topic: China considering building high-speed railway to U.S.  (Read 2953 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
China considering building high-speed railway to U.S.
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
China considering building high-speed railway to U.S.
May 11th 2014 9:51AM

Imagine you're on a nice, long train ride in the United States. You close your eyes for a quick nap and wake up in... China? Yup. That could happen if China goes through with a proposed high-speed railway linking it to the U.S.

The project, nicknamed the "China-Russia-Canada-America" line, would be over 8,000 miles long and was first reported in China's state-run Beijing Times newspaper. The paper interviewed a railway expert from the Chinese Academy of Engineering.

The Economic Times reports that, according to the expert, the "bullet trains can run at 350 km per hour, enabling passengers to travel from northeastern China to the US in less than two days."

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/05/11/china-considering-building-high-speed-railway-to-u-s/20883832/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: China considering building high-speed railway to U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
It'll be easier to survey their kingdom.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
I don't think this is a good idea...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »
Ah, yes, laying track on the permafrost.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
"northeastern China to the US in less than two days"

I don't understand, you can do it now in 12 hours for under $1000. Does anyone think it will cost less on a bullet train then a 767?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Troop train?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
"northeastern China to the US in less than two days"

I don't understand, you can do it now in 12 hours for under $1000. Does anyone think it will cost less on a bullet train then a 767?

much cheaper for cargo and the delivering of chinese goods we so love to consume
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
much cheaper for cargo and the delivering of chinese goods we so love to consume

:goodpost: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:11:08 PM »
I assume the train will burn coal!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
I assume the train will burn coal!
Only until it crosses our borders. Then it will need a very long drop cord.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »

a 350 kph track is VERY expensive. Would it really be less expensive to ship cargo that way versus container ships? I have no idea, just wondering.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:16 AM »
Reads like something from theonion.com

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
High speed trains really don't make much sense in the USA, for any reason.  It is cheaper and faster to fly anywhere around the country or to different parts of the world.  A large container ship can haul more freight than a train.  It might take a bit longer but the fuel usage would be about the same and the infrastructure cost is way less. 

One thing no one ever seems to consider when wanting to build high speed trains is terrorism.  With an airplane you have a much greater chance of controlling it than you ever will with a train.  With an airplane you control who gets one and what they are carrying.  Then when it's in the air it is pretty safe as not too many terrorists have surface to air missiles.  With a train you can also control who gets on and what they are carrying, but the train will be on the ground the entire trip, crossing numerous bridges and going through many towns.  Anywhere along that route a bomb can be planted with disastrous results.  I'm afraid high speed trains are out of the question for the US.  They make some sense in Europe where the distances are shorter and the public is accustomed to train travel. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
I'm afraid high speed trains are out of the question for the US.  They make some sense in Europe where the distances are shorter and the public is accustomed to train travel.
There are some areas in the US that they make some sense.  The Acela train on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor (Boston to DC) makes sense in theory.  A high speed link between Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC would be really useful.  If it worked like it is supposed to.  But it is slowed with too many speed limited areas, grade crossings, etc.  If they started from scratch building a high speed line, it could be effective.  (Not to imply that it would be profitable, since Amtrak hasn't managed to ever do that...)

A good supply of Rearden Metal might help...   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
build it and they will come

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of...so I really hope it doesn't get built.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of...so I really hope it doesn't get built.

You can all relax, as there's not a chance in....hades, and certainly not in Alaska, nor anywhere south of the Canadian border.
Now if it was an oil pipe line instead of a rail line...well that would be different. Although I'm not sure in which direction the oil would flow.

The best way to get free publicity for what you are currently doing and/or planning to do, is to come up with something outlandish (literally), so that people take notice of you.
I believe below is what they really wanted to get across, and they did, most of us read it.
Quote from:  state run China Daily
...the technology to build the tunnel is already in place and will reportedly be used on a tunnel linking China to Taiwan - a distance of nearly 94 miles.

Quote from: Aol
.....the country has already started work on both a Pan-Asian and Eurasian railway