Author Topic: Disaster in Northern VA  (Read 3258 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Disaster in Northern VA
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »
Nearly 1.5 million out of power in the region due to severe thunderstorms that came through last night.  Sounded like a bunch of freight trains coming through at my house.  Weather forecasters say the winds were similar to an F1 tornado but over a very wide area.  I can believe it based on what I saw at my house last night.  Our power flickered but stayed on.  Fredericksburg has outages for sure as my daughter who lives there does not have power.  Hopefully our members that live in the affected areas get their power back soon but they are saying multiple days to restore.   This isn't good when you are having 100 degree days.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Re: Disaster in Northern VA
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »
It was crazy. Never experienced winds like that. Power in my half of the neighborhood stayed on, but the other half is out with multiple trees down all over. Got to our swim meet this morning, and power was out and the meet was canceled.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
how was it down in Hanover/Caroline/King William line?
hopefully (as i ain't there anymore) a lot of trees fell on my old residence...litterally... 8)
paybacks are a biotch....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline W14

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
I live in Northern Henrico, which is south of Northern VA and Hanover. We had spotted outages and trees down in the area. I had downed branches but no downed trees. The winds were worse on Wednesday. As I am writing this, another storm is about to come through. Don't recall seeing this many 100 degree days in a row.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
That storm is heading southeast.  It just missed King George.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »
Feel for ya Jim, we also got hit pretty good here in the Ohio Valley.
Straight line winds were clocked at 90 mph, I think they stopped counting the trees down, and power is still out for 150k people as I write this. We had quite a et-up for this also. 102 deg. the day before, then 96 the day of really churned up the atmosphere.
Here in Springfield, we are just 15 miles N of Xenia, the site of the worst Tornado in our states history. Everytime the weather turns bad around here, everyone wonders if it is our turn to set a new record.
Glad your safe, try to stay that way.
And as always, please, everyone ride safe.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »
I live in Warrenton but was in Duffield, VA at the cabin.  We didn't get a drop of rain down there, but on my way back up 81 yesterday, it looked like a disaster area.  At least one rest area shut down due to damage.  Trees still partially covering portions of the highway.  One gas station (of course the one I tried to stop at for fuel) destroyed. Canopy ripped apart and roof partially torn off.  I was actually surprised to get closer to home and see it looking better up my way.  And 100s of out of town utility trucks headed north.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »
Forecasting power restoration at the end of the week for most.  I think it will be more than that based on what I've seen on the news.  It will take many many power crews to get this fixed.  If you see lines of power trucks heading towards the Mid Atlantic area, give them the thumbs up sign.

I think of them as the cavalry coming over the hill to the rescue.  High temps forecast for the entire week.  It ain't gonna be a good commute either as many intersections don't have power in the NO VA, MD, and DC areas.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
Just as I was heading into Fredericksburg this morning I saw a convoy of 12 trucks from another power company heading towards the Northern Neck of VA on 3 east.  Gave me goosebumps to see them come through.  The cavalry is arriving... :thumbs:

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:32 AM »
 Just got power back on at work in F'burg (University of Mary Washington) yesterday. Power dimmed once during the storm at home, but never lost it. Saturday I rode out to Villiage Kawasaki, but it was closed as the whole area had no power, so I just took 522 around to Lake Anna and back home. Lots of trees down. Sunday went over to Luray to visit in-laws and stuff was pretty torn up all the way. Sperryville got hit pretty hard.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »
I heard the mayor of DC was going to ask the Pres. to declare DC a disaster area. :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
It's already been declared by the city and it didn't have to go to the President as far as I know in order to declare it.... 

http://mayor.dc.gov/release/district-government-declares-state-emergency

I just talked to a co-worker who went into DC to look for a restaurant.  In some areas it's still bad.  One side of the street could have power while the other does not.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
My SIL just got power back last night (Orange Hunt, Springfield VA).  They've been staying at a Holiday Inn for the last few days... guess they are pretty smart by now.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
We got ours back in Lorton, VA yesterday at lunch time.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington