Author Topic: Was warming to hybrids  (Read 7165 times)

Bob

Was warming to hybrids
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »
Well I never have owned one of these hybrid cars and trucks that a common place in today's world. I figured that I would give them time to sort themselves out and see how reliable they would be down the road.
 Well it's been a while now and I decided maybe that i might try one down the road. Then one of our Ford Escapes might have changed my mind. The Ford Escape hybrid uses Toyota technology. We have a bunch of these little gutless wonders at work. I have found them to have problems climbing out of holes onto roads coming from off road to highway. Yes we actually take our trucks off road.
 We now one of them developed transmission troubles and needs a new tranny. (hey it happens) Now we have found out that Ford wants you to replace the motor and transmission if the transmission goes bad. If you don't, Ford will not warranty the transmission. This is a very exorbitant cost IMO. I guess the company feels the same way. They have decided to scrap any of the Escape Hybrids like this now. And like I said, it has me rethinking buying a Hybrid!!!!   ???  I always wondered if the fuel mileage was worth the extra costs. I never thought they would be worth it!

Offline anycleavers

Re: Was warming to hybrids
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »
That's ridiculous on Fords part. So are they disposable cars? How does this help the environment exactly?  I'm wondering what's going to happen to the first and second generation hybrids when the battery capacity diminishes ? Imagine the bill on changing out the battery pack, more people will probably be scrapping them when it happens.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
Hey Cap'n! May I suggest that some of the problems might be in that Ford and the other American manufacturers are really still in the early generations of their Hybrid "learning curve". And also that overall, American manufacturers have lagged in quality generally speaking.
But for them to demand a whole new power-train???

But I think the real problem lies in that: As long as we pursue "Hybrid" tech we are in effect adding exponentially to the complexity of the power-train. No wonder they cost so much...
Did you know that a true electric car requires no transmission at all?
'02 C-10

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:20:08 AM »
That's ridiculous on Fords part. So are they disposable cars? How does this help the environment exactly?  I'm wondering what's going to happen to the first and second generation hybrids when the battery capacity diminishes ? Imagine the bill on changing out the battery pack, more people will probably be scrapping them when it happens.
No kidding. From what I've heard its about $3000 for a new pack, However a lot of people are finding they get about 100,000mi according to a quick review on priuschat.com

But ultimately this is one of the reasons to push for more research into efficient hydrogen production, and we can move along to fuel calls for electricity. 
'02 C-10

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
Hybrids suck! IMHO. I would grab a VW diesel if you want to save fuel costs. Or an Audi A3 diesel. Tons of power in new diesel engines. For SUVs I own a 2008 Dodge Durango Hemi. I get over 18 mpg. It runs on 4 cylinders when you are light on the pedal, so I could easily get over 20 mpg if I tried. My old Chrysler 300 hemi was getting 24 mpg all day long with tons of power when needed.
Joel from Maine.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
+1 VW TDI
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Is that 100k miles on the battery or the CAR? 100k miles on the car could have zero miles on te battery because it also has a gasoline engine. A friend's son is a Toyota/Lexus tech and hasn't seen one replaced yet.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
215k on my Prius....no issues.  Sorry, 218k and it runs on regular gas.  No problems climbing mountains and no loss of power running AC.  Haven't changed out the front brake pads either.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:00:32 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
Hybrids suck! IMHO. I would grab a VW diesel if you want to save fuel costs. Or an Audi A3 diesel. Tons of power in new diesel engines. For SUVs I own a 2008 Dodge Durango Hemi. I get over 18 mpg. It runs on 4 cylinders when you are light on the pedal, so I could easily get over 20 mpg if I tried. My old Chrysler 300 hemi was getting 24 mpg all day long with tons of power when needed.
Your preaching to the choir on the dubs. Here's mine:

1980 VW Caddy 1.9td (the AAZ) no shortage of go-fast, hauls a 4x8 or 900lbs factory bed rating, and 43MPG
Right now she's down getting new wires and a set of '59 caddilac taillights:

I'd love one of the A3's for my winter beater. :o
'02 C-10

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
equip hybrids with KiPass and they'll be monster machines  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »
equip hybrids with KiPass and they'll be monster machines  8)

I have something similar on mine which is one of the reasons I was tempted to the C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
A-3 Quatro is probably the smartest buys out there, but yes it is priced a little north for me. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla 5 speed. I get 36 mpg on a regular basis and hate everything about the car except the fuel economy. And I really do hate it. I have only driven it 3 times since the snow went away. The Durango is what my wife drives. We need the kid-capacity of it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
Hybrids are a joke.......here is my new ride!!!! Sporty.....comfy.....great fuel economy....and in the snow and bad weather "try to keep up"!!!

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
Nice choice POKEY! You look like the STI type though. Subaru make a very reliable AWD car. They don't even know how to make a 2wd. I had a 1991 Legacy around the time Subaru was changing their image. Your going to love that car.
Joel from Maine.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
My answer to the question...

We're at 206,000 miles now, lifetime average of 48.2mpg, has Never let us down (though we had batteries give out in the AZ heat, and a cracked brake boost line that reduced braking...  you know, annoying stuff).  With Nokian tires, we drove it all over the Rockies..  parents ski cabin in Montana, my home in Wyoming, then a later home in Colorado, only ever got it stuck once when I was blazing up my parents unplowed drive with 4~5" of fresh, wet snow and high-centered on my bash plate.  Dang thing just won't quit.  It's not a track-day car, but we don't do 20,000 miles of track days every year.  It's a commuter car, and beats the Snot out of every other commuter car we've tried. 

Granted, it was LOTS better back when diesel was cheaper than gas (and it was all under $2/gallon).  We did 800 mile tanks for under a $20 fill

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
I had an 03 VW TDI Golf. It got 43 mpg no matter how fast you pushed it. Diesel was priced at $1.40 per gal. and gas was $1.50 per gal. It was a 5-speed so I got the full effect of German engineering. It was 1 of the funnest rides I owned. I put 125,000 miles on it in 2 years.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
My first car was a VW Rabbit Diesel.  52~55mpg.  Sucked on hills, though.  But, I was a teenager, had a car, and diesel was under $1 per gallon.  I could fill the thing and drive it for two weeks on less than $10.  (And I was earning about $6.50/hr at the time)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »
I didn't buy mine to go 'green'.  I bought it to save money on gas.  So far I'm quite pleased with the longevity of it and the average fuel mileage which is 50+.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 04:34:02 AM »
I'm wondering what's going to happen to the first and second generation hybrids when the battery capacity diminishes ? Imagine the bill on changing out the battery pack, more people will probably be scrapping them when it happens.

Not just the cost of replacing batteries, but consider the impact of disposing of them. Was talking with a collision repair guy I know... there is a high percentage of hybrids that get "totaled" due to internal damage when batteries shift in a crash. 
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership