Author Topic: Visiting the darkside...  (Read 2296 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Visiting the darkside...
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
Anyone installed Linux on an Intel pc?  I'm thinking about giving it the ole college try.  Don't know diddly about Linux.  Want to try something new.  I'm thinking of Ubantu as the distribution and want to use dual boot.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Visiting the darkside...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
I've run Suse on Big Iron (IFL) and under VM...  never on a laptop.  I've heard good things about Ubantu though.  If you've ever touched Unix, it's a piece of cake.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
I was all ready for another car tire on a motorcycle thread, and instead it is about linux...

No linux experience, but I hear good things... driver support continues to get a little better, as more people adopt the linux alternative.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Was very worried you were starting a car tire thread.

I've been running a Lenovo T520 (Intel Core i5 vPro) with win 7 and VMware with Red Hat 5 for years. Before that I had a dual boot machine with XP and RH4. Both work great. I like the VMware better because I can run both windows and linux simultaneously.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
Debian at home, RedHat at work in the past.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline julianop

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
I've been working with Linux for... well, it's got to be a decade now, and I run my own domain and mail server at home.
I agree with Sherob that Suse is a good distro - I've user that one longer than any other. Right now I'm using SME server for domain and mail, but I don't have a workstation distro loaded on anything at the moment.
Personally I like Mint best; that'lll be the desktop distro I load when I next have work to do.

If you're going to Dual Boot (I assume with Windows), the Windows must be installed first.

Do you have any particular goal, or is it just for fun?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:48 AM »
I'm feeling a bit mad scientist at the moment, but basically just for fun.  However, I want some experience in working with it as the servers that I install can run Linux (typically either SUSE or Redhat).  I don't have any AIX direct experience.  They tried many years ago to train me in AIX and both they and myself failed miserably at it (I'm an IBM System i kind a guy - 25 years+).  Couldn't see the point of it (AIX), actually.

As far as running car tires on a C14....NEVER....while anyone is watching, anyway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »
Anyone installed Linux on an Intel pc?  I'm thinking about giving it the ole college try.  Don't know diddly about Linux.  Want to try something new.  I'm thinking of Ubantu as the distribution and want to use dual boot.
I occasionally play with Ubuntu, mostly when I need to recover data from a Windows PC that doesn't want to give me access to the hard drive.  But it is more "play" than "seriously use".  And when I'm doing that, I'm just running off a USB Live installation.  But Ubuntu is a nice distro.  Actually, I haven't even played with it in months, so I'm sure a lot has changed. 

If you're interested in trying other flavors, check out www.distrowatch.com  They post information on the latest major releases, and it's a great place to see what's out there.  There are far more distributions of Linux than most folks realize. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »

I have used Ubuntu over many of the past years.

I have had put Ubuntu into Parallels on Macs of mine as well.

Ubuntu is mainly for playing with and on occasion used to recover Windows PCs that 'bit the big one'.

Ubuntu is readily available and straightforward to install on a great variety of hardware.  Runs well on lesser powered PCs too.

Ubuntu on a USB drive is very self-contained if you want to just try it out.

YMMV
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)