Author Topic: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)  (Read 23057 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
So, I'm finally going to break down and buy some new pants. Today I wear Joe Rocket Pro Street leather pants zipped to a sonic 2 jacket (yellow vest always).

I've worn textile pants before, but after I dropped my bike 3 years ago at ten miles an hour they ripped. They were joe rocket alter ego pants. Since then I went to leather and never looked back.

I'm looking to replace my pro street pants because I just never felt they fit right in the knees. The pads are a little high. And after daily wear for the last three year, they could use a break.   

I like aerostich transit but not the price. And really like motoport's Kevlar gear (supposedly stronger than leather).  I just priced pants with all the options at $700. I just don't feel like dropping that kind of cash.

What do you guys think?  I'm sure I'll only consider 1000 denier cordura, leather, or Kevlar.
Will

Joncon11

Re: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
I have these...
http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-Odyssey_Water_Resistant_Pants___Mens-553.aspx?
Super comfy and utilitarian, my only complaint with them is the lack of leg zippers. I run these pants and a Vanson leather jacket in the summer, and an Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece for the wet chilly stuff. All a bit spendy but you get what you pay for and the Roadcrafter will be the only one you buy (horrific crash aside).

Offline roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
Joncon, thanks for tip on vanson. I'll check it out. I had a roadcrafter but just couldn't warm up to it. Very well made though. Think my biggest problem with it is it didn't fit my routine. Sounds silly but I must have a little autism, but need my routine of coming to the office, taking off my leather jacket, do an hour of work before rest of office arrives, then go down to gym and shower. Just couldn't do it with roadcrafter, or any one piece for that matter. generally in winter I just double up on thermo but wear my leather.
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Joncon, is the entire pant 1000 denier or just the high impact areas?
Will

Joncon11

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Joncon, is the entire pant 1000 denier or just the high impact areas?

The entier pant is 1000 denier, thats why I bought them. I stay away from anything with "poly" in the name like the plague. I hit a deer over a year ago and I'm still pulling charred splinters of my Joe Rocket pants out of my knee.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
I like the Alpinestars A-10 myself, they're a leather and textile mix.  :thumbs:

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/pants/leather/a-10-leather-textile-pants/

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
Anyone try these?  Stone Lake Leatherworks makes a leather overall with kneepads.

http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/

http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/styles.htm
Will

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
I rode with a pair of Tourmaster something or others for a few years.  They were nice, but I had the same knee protection placement problem, along with the fact that they were about four inches too short.

I tried on many a pair of overpants and every one had that same problem.  They were a perfect fit off the bike, but with my knees bent they would be too short and the armor would rise above my knee.

Last year I just so happend to be riding through Duluth MN (so sue me if it was a bit off the GPS's charted course) and stopped by Aerostich's little shop of wonders. There I tried on a pair of Darien pants.  Same problem.  Too short when I got on the bike, and the armor placed wrong. 

But the sales lady quickly informed me that this was indeed no problem at all.  Out came the tape measure, and after a few pulls of the tape while I was seated on my bike, she assured me they could have a pair of overpants that fit perfectly.

I continued home with my Tour somethings, and a few weeks later a package from Minnesota arrived.

I haven't been happier with a pice of riding gear.  Perfect fit, perfect armor placement, and very comfortable to boot.  Yeah they're pricey, but they were made to my exact specs.  In the U S of A.

I highly recommend the Aerostich gear to anyone who asks.

But that's just my opinion and it's worth as much as you paid for it.

-darrell
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »
Vanson unfortunately lacks the customer service that once made them known in the MC industry.  Though right down the road from me I don't even consider them for gear anymore.
My $.02 on jacket/pants is buy waterproof shell. 
Nothing beats staying dry on a rainy day.

Offline roadie

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:47:02 AM »

Didn't even consider Darien, will check them out also. If I go textile, it'll def be a 100% 1000 denier.

I rode with a pair of Tourmaster something or others for a few years.  They were nice, but I had the same knee protection placement problem, along with the fact that they were about four inches too short.

I tried on many a pair of overpants and every one had that same problem.  They were a perfect fit off the bike, but with my knees bent they would be too short and the armor would rise above my knee.

Last year I just so happend to be riding through Duluth MN (so sue me if it was a bit off the GPS's charted course) and stopped by Aerostich's little shop of wonders. There I tried on a pair of Darien pants.  Same problem.  Too short when I got on the bike, and the armor placed wrong. 

But the sales lady quickly informed me that this was indeed no problem at all.  Out came the tape measure, and after a few pulls of the tape while I was seated on my bike, she assured me they could have a pair of overpants that fit perfectly.

I continued home with my Tour somethings, and a few weeks later a package from Minnesota arrived.

I haven't been happier with a pice of riding gear.  Perfect fit, perfect armor placement, and very comfortable to boot.  Yeah they're pricey, but they were made to my exact specs.  In the U S of A.

I highly recommend the Aerostich gear to anyone who asks.

But that's just my opinion and it's worth as much as you paid for it.

-darrell
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:23:40 AM »
I checked out Darien, and although Stich makes great gear, I really want 1000 denier cordura or leather.   So right now On my list are

Vanson odyssey

Motoport street jean http://www.motoport.com/_product_35443/Cordura_Street_Jean_1000_Denier

Motoport ultra II
http://www.motoport.com/_product_35443/Ultra_II_Cordura_Pant

Carhartt #r33 bibs.  http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32174&langId=-1&categoryId=10907&top_category=15056
Carhartt doesn't make motogear, but their #r33 bibs are 1000 denier and inexpensive.  Any views on Carhartt?  Bohn armour underneath maybe?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:08:05 AM by Roadie »
Will

Joncon11

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 05:31:20 AM »
Vanson unfortunately lacks the customer service that once made them known in the MC industry. 

Unfortunately you are right. I lived in RI for a long time and I remember them jumping through their butts to help you out when you walked into their store. I have only tried to order one thing online with them and it ended up being a lot of phone tag, but product I received was worth it. I do my shopping there once a year when I go up to visit family. To the OP, the best way to deal with Vanson is over the phone, if that is the route you decide to go.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
What about Olympia Moto Sports stuff. http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.htm
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Flathead

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
What about Olympia Moto Sports stuff. http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.htm

+1 Have the Ranger pants and the AST jacket for winter, no problems to report....

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
I have Harley Davidson FXRG pants and I really love them...and no they don't slow me down because they are HD.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
Dainese or REV'IT.  But get yer checkbook out
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline roadie

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
Dainese or REV'IT.  But get yer checkbook out

Do they have 1000 Denier cordura gear?
Will

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
The $769 REV'IT pants with the $999 jacket I'm familiar with are GOR-TEX with ventilation.

I suspect the very top of the line Dianese sport touring gear is GORTEX too, I can't imagine it being anything less. I'm not familiar with it but its around the same price.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
I am in the market for some leather since I got my leg rashed up last weekend.  When my wife decides to ride she will also be wearing leather too.  I am looking at Joe Rocket, AGV, and Frank Thomas, Alpinestars stuff seems a little flashy for my taste.  I really want to find a brick and mortar store that I could walk into and try on different pants and jackets.  Since a store like that is rare around my area I guess eBay or another online retailer with a good return policy is about my only alternative.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
I am in the market for some leather since I got my leg rashed up last weekend.  When my wife decides to ride she will also be wearing leather too.  I am looking at Joe Rocket, AGV, and Frank Thomas, Alpinestars stuff seems a little flashy for my taste.  I really want to find a brick and mortar store that I could walk into and try on different pants and jackets.  Since a store like that is rare around my area I guess eBay or another online retailer with a good return policy is about my only alternative.

Custom leathers are the bomb and reasonable. This shop is known all over the southeast. You may have a shop such as this in your area that makes custom suits for racers and sport touring gear. Or you phone in your exact sizes of everything, what you want made, and a CC # and you'll have the finest leathers around  http://www.syedleathers.com/