Author Topic: kawasaki tank pad set (update since my ordering the Tech Spec)  (Read 23851 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: kawasaki tank pad set (update since my ordering the Tech Spec)
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »
Sorry for the dumb question, but I have to ask.  ;D  The snake skin appears to have deeper cuts in the material.  Does this help in any way to mitigate the heat coming off the tank, and allow some degree of air to flow through, or better insulate?   8)

Thanks-
Dave

I'd have to say no to all your questions. They might insulate a little better but unless you're touching those areas with your bare skin, you won't even notice.

The only negative thing for me about the Tech Spec pads would be that my jacket rubs on the center tank pad just a lil bit and since my jacket is hiviz yellow in that area the black from the pad has transferred onto my jacket in that small area. No biggie though.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline booger

Re: kawasaki tank pad set
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
But then again, I am not a very patient person.

You must be under 50 ;)

Offline Bagger

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I ordered the Tech Spec full set pads for my 2010 before the bike showed up.  Installed them as soon as I got home.

I ride year 'round and have lots of gear that will mar the paint ... these work!  And, I like 'em alot.  Sticky in the twisties.

Now, what can we do with the right side saddle bag that gets hit by our boots?  That's a BIG deal.  I have to "shoot" my leg over the saddle ... which ain't easy with my old bod ... to avoid kicking the right side bag lid.  Crikey !
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
Maybe a piece from Techspec that matches your tank set?

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »
Now, what can we do with the right side saddle bag that gets hit by our boots?  That's a BIG deal.  I have to "shoot" my leg over the saddle ... which ain't easy with my old bod ... to avoid kicking the right side bag lid.  Crikey !

I couldn't shoot my leg over the saddle with a howitzer.

Instead, I've mastered the "two-point half-leg exploding knee technique" after years of training with Pai Mei. Here's how it works: stand to the left of the bike, facing East and forwards. Grasp the left grip with your left hand, and bring your right foot back so that your heel gently touches your right butt cheek. Your right knee will be pointing directly down at the saddle. Then swing your hips so that your knee stays over the saddle but your leg rotates and lowers as it clears the right side luggage and steps ever so gently yet firmly onto the right peg, and you are on the motorcycle without a scuff! At that point it is appropriate to exhale and contemplate your oneness with your Connie.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but the pic you referenced was of a '09 and if you stick a pad kit from a '10/'11 to it the battery door pad will be larger than the door.

How often are you going to be taking off the battery cover?  I've had mine off twice in 3 years -- aesthetics trump occasional functionality in this case.........
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 04:56:35 AM »
How often are you going to be taking off the battery cover?  I've had mine off twice in 3 years -- aesthetics trump occasional functionality in this case.........

You're right there in that you shouldn't have to get at the battery that often. Here's where Murphy's Law comes in though. As soon as you stick that pad over the battery door, your battery will go dead and you'll have to pull the cover. That's how it would work for me at least.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 05:15:13 AM »
I've got a Tech Spec Snake skin pad over my battery door but I cut it to fit (off a blank) so I can take the door off easily. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
little update (I forgot to do it earlier, sorry)
Pads made it home 2 weeks ago, only 6 weeks after I ordered them. When I called them, they apologised and promised me to shoot me an e-mail when the pads were there, so I would know they would arrive shortly after that. They didn't, but at least they did send the pads. Oh well.
Thing is, in these last weeks I put some 3000 miles on the bike and winter just arrived, so I'm not in the mood to spend those scarce moments of sund and riding temperatures washing the bike to be able to fit the pads, so I guess it'll have to be a mini winter project.
A look at the pads has revealed that they look the part and will do what I want them to.
Thanks again for the advices.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »
I emailed Tech Spec requesting info about the three optional materials that they use (C3, Snake Skin, High Fusion). I was contemplating the new C3 version. Within a few days, they sent me a package with a 1" x 3" sample of each style. The Snake Skin is the only one that I've ever actually seen in person on a bike.

I like the "gripiness" of the C3, but worry about durability as it is very soft. The High Fusion material is very thin. I'm sure it would protect from scratches, but it doesn't feel grippy at all, even though they say it is on the website.

Has anyone installed one of the options other than the Snake Skin? If so, please provide your thoughts.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Restless

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:12 AM »
I emailed Tech Spec requesting info about the three optional materials that they use (C3, Snake Skin, High Fusion). I was contemplating the new C3 version. Within a few days, they sent me a package with a 1" x 3" sample of each style. The Snake Skin is the only one that I've ever actually seen in person on a bike.

I like the "gripiness" of the C3, but worry about durability as it is very soft. The High Fusion material is very thin. I'm sure it would protect from scratches, but it doesn't feel grippy at all, even though they say it is on the website.

Has anyone installed one of the options other than the Snake Skin? If so, please provide your thoughts.

I put the "high fusion" version on my 2010 for the protection factor alone and because I personally didn't like the thickness of the "snake skin" version.  It offers plenty of grip with great scratch protection as well and since it's a bit smoother in design, it cleans up easily too.  I can't comment on the "C3" since it wasn't an option when I ordered mine last year.  My 2 cents, YMMV.
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »

Today we had a gorgeous weather here in Munich, and although there is already some snow at the sides of the Autobahn, it was in the low 50's so plenty comfy with all the proper gear. After a nice... errr... Pirelli Angel's demolishing session (it's unbelievable how much profile goes away at 150 mph) I got around installing my C3 Techspec pads. Nice piece of kit, couldn't have been easier if they sent me somebody over to install it for me. After a really good wash of the bike, I noticed how scuffed that area of the fairing was. Really heart stomping. Nothing terrible about it, just plain worn out.
Now, with the pads, it not only is protected, but it also looks nice and it's more comfortable to have a thick piece of rubber between each knee and the plastic or tank. It also does enhance grip and it's easier to control the bike with the body.
Highly recommended.  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:31:51 PM by martin_14 »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Looks good Martin!  8) :thumbs:

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
The c3 is great. No durability issues that I can see. I believe I can get several more years form it. I tend to be tough on tank graphics and such, so its not as if I babied this stuff.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »

Order the saddlebag protectors from Tankslapper -- they are clear and you can't even see them.  You will leave boot marks, but on the clear plastic, not the paint.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 05:27:42 AM »
Looks good Martin!  8) :thumbs:

of course, it's black!!!  ;)

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »
They dont make them in a darker black do they? on a black bike they look grey. My is blacked out and would want them in black.