Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > Electrical

KiPass Stoveknob Switch Lube

(1/4) > >>

Eupher:
Question regarding care and feeding of the stoveknob and its scurrilous spring -- will using a lockset lubricant keep things more or less springy?

Or is use of an electrical lubricant completely verboten with this switch?

Apologies if this bit of info is covered somewhere else -- if it's in the owner's manual, I missed it.

I don't have problems with my C14 yet (only 500 miles on it so far), but as I routinely remove the stoveknob when I park it, condensation can get down inside of the lockset I would think, creating the expected corrosion...

B.D.F.:
Just my opinion but I like to use a graphite based lube suspended in a solvent that evaporates. That keeps the lock itself lubed (Easy Boys!) but dry so as not to attract dust and dirt. I think the brand is 'Lock Ease'.

Not really sure about corrosion; I do not think many C-14 owners actually leave the bike in the weather without the main key (stove knob key) in the ignition. ??

Brian

--- Quote from: Eupher on November 11, 2015, 09:39:16 AM ---Question regarding care and feeding of the stoveknob and its scurrilous spring -- will using a lockset lubricant keep things more or less springy?

Or is use of an electrical lubricant completely verboten with this switch?

Apologies if this bit of info is covered somewhere else -- if it's in the owner's manual, I missed it.

I don't have problems with my C14 yet (only 500 miles on it so far), but as I routinely remove the stoveknob when I park it, condensation can get down inside of the lockset I would think, creating the expected corrosion...

--- End quote ---

Eupher:

--- Quote from: B.D.F. on November 11, 2015, 10:20:46 AM ---Just my opinion but I like to use a graphite based lube suspended in a solvent that evaporates. That keeps the lock itself lubed (Easy Boys!) but dry so as not to attract dust and dirt. I think the brand is 'Lock Ease'.

Not really sure about corrosion; I do not think many C-14 owners actually leave the bike in the weather without the main key (stove knob key) in the ignition. ??

Brian

--- End quote ---

I take the key out as an extra level of security (the fob is also out of the AO), but I put a cover on the bike so it's not completely uncovered. Thanks for the tip on Lock Ease. I figured something like that would probably be OK for the switch.

jimmymac:
Motorcraft has a lock lube that I use.

VirginiaJim:
I don't lube mine at all.  I spray it with a contact spray every once in awhile when I remember it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version