Author Topic: Radar detectors and false alerts  (Read 8851 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Radar detectors and false alerts
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »
I use it for the construction alerts.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 04:26:56 AM »
I'm just going to throw this out there, and put on my bullet-proof vest before I do:

Why don't ya'll just drive the limit or a little over? :stirpot: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:o

Something seems to have happened to my brain this morn. I can read the words that you typed but I'm not comprehending your meaning. Can you rephrase?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 05:29:18 AM »
:o

Something seems to have happened to my brain this morn. I can read the words that you typed but I'm not comprehending your meaning. Can you rephrase?

SLOW DOWN!!! ;) ;)
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 06:53:30 AM »
I read a recent Valentine ad in which they claim to have addressed this false reading issue.
Wayne

Yes, I need to look into that more. I typed in my serial number and the site said I already have that feature.  I just need to turn it on.  :-[ :-[ :P ::)

I'm just going to throw this out there, and put on my bullet-proof vest before I do:

Why don't ya'll just drive the limit or a little over? :stirpot: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

SLOW DOWN!!! ;) ;)

I don't understand.....
you know I'm getting older and I can no longer hear the high notes coming out of my speakers tweeters....yeah that must be it.  ;)

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm stating the obvious. When your radar detector goes off, if you are the primary target, its too late. Your speed has already been displayed on the radar unit. I dont care how fast you slow down. So, to use it to avoid being detected speeding only works some of the time. You will however, pick up warnings when other drivers are the target and it will give you the opportunity to adjust your speed. As far as laser speed detecting units there is very little to zero "bleed" over. So if your laser unit goes off, your pretty much toast. Yes, Law Enforcement Officers know this. One of the techniques used is to delay using the speed detection unit until some of the slower speeders have passed to hit the faster secondary speeders. Also, speed detection radars are only used to verify your speed after the Law Enforcement Officer has visually estimated your speed. With training and practice you can be within +- 2mph, every time. To me the use of speed detection units is more work and worry than they are worth. Im not saying I dont like to wind it out a little, I do. I know if I'm caught its time to pay the piper. Just keep in mind if you drive in excess of the speed limit its a crap shoot, with or without a detector. If you dont want a ticket, dont drive at excessive speeds. If you do, just accept the fact that you may receive a ticket.  8)
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm stating the obvious. When your radar detector goes off, if you are the primary target, its too late. Your speed has already been displayed on the radar unit. I dont care how fast you slow down. So, to use it to avoid being detected speeding only works some of the time. You will however, pick up warnings when other drivers are the target and it will give you the opportunity to adjust your speed. As far as laser speed detecting units there is very little to zero "bleed" over. So if your laser unit goes off, your pretty much toast. Yes, Law Enforcement Officers know this. One of the techniques used is to delay using the speed detection unit until some of the slower speeders have passed to hit the faster secondary speeders. Also, speed detection radars are only used to verify your speed after the Law Enforcement Officer has visually estimated your speed. With training and practice you can be within +- 2mph, every time. To me the use of speed detection units is more work and worry than they are worth. Im not saying I dont like to wind it out a little, I do. I know if I'm caught its time to pay the piper. Just keep in mind if you drive in excess of the speed limit its a crap shoot, with or without a detector. If you dont want a ticket, dont drive at excessive speeds. If you do, just accept the fact that you may receive a ticket.  8)

I've been using a radar detector of one kind or another since 1990 and they have saved me from receiving tickets more times than I can count (I can still count pretty high fyi). Even with a detector you still have to drive judiciously.

I think that you're pretty much preaching to the choir here. Most of us on this forum are mature (year wise) riders/drivers and we know how to use a detector.

The last time that I got pulled over for speeding it wasn't the detector that saved me from receiving a well deserved performance award, it was the fact that the LEO ran out of tickets.   :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:30:05 AM by Conrad »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »

I used to do exactly that. Then I bought a C14. Seems to be completely impossible now  ;D

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 10:19:44 AM »
I used to do exactly that. Then I bought a C14. Seems to be completely impossible now  ;D
No argument from me on that one. Even with my '06 it's a lot of fun. Can't imagine on a C14.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
It's very difficult indeed, to keep the speed down on the C14.  Many a time on a 55 road I look down and see I'm doing 70.   The bike is too smooth.  On my C10, I could tell.   On the C14 not so much.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
I feel you on that one. It was VERY difficult when I first got mine. I still have to pay very close attention. Heck, Im usually over while still in second! The analog speed'o makes it a bit of a challenge. Not to mention mine is about 3 to 5 mph off, depending on the speed. I use an app on my phone to help with that when I dont have my GPS on board.  ???
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
If you can't slow down, at least you have 2 giant boxes you can fill with caltrops.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
Sounds like time for a class action lawsuit against Kawasaki for making a motorcycle that is too easy to speed with, virtually forcing people to break the speed limit even when they don't want to.  They SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that riders would abuse the power and speed potential, and they INTENTIONALLY engineered, produced, marketed and sold a bike with too much performance.

Kawasaki should be forced to pay everyone's speeding tickets.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 04:32:41 AM »
If you can't slow down, at least you have 2 giant boxes you can fill with caltrops.

I had to google caltrops since I had no idea what they are.   :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 04:36:00 AM »
Those are the things you throw on the ground where the revenuers hide for their speed trap....or so I heard.  8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 04:36:49 AM »
I finally tried out my older Passport in the new Mazda to see if the onboard radar (blind spot and rear cross traffic) would give false alerts or not. It worked just fine. So I guess the system that Mazda uses must not use the same frequency as traffic radar. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »
I finally tried out my older Passport in the new Mazda to see if the onboard radar (blind spot and rear cross traffic) would give false alerts or not. It worked just fine. So I guess the system that Mazda uses must not use the same frequency as traffic radar.

Was your Passport inside the Mazda? Or did you try it from another vehicle with the Mazda going past it? Seems like it might make a difference.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
Was your Passport inside the Mazda? Or did you try it from another vehicle with the Mazda going past it? Seems like it might make a difference.

It was inside the Mazda and mounted on the windshield. Worked perfectly. Now I just need to get it hardwired, maybe sometime in the spring when it warms up.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
Might be interesting with the Mazda running, take the passport behind and in front of the car and see if it triggers and alert.

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
The vehicle has to be in gear for the radars to turn on (at least that's how it works in my ford), so you'll need a buddy to help out if you want to test it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
Yes, the vehicle has to be moving over a certain forward speed (6.3mph) for the blindspot monitors to work and it has to be in reverse for the rear cross traffic monitors to work. I drove the car into town with the detector working, no false alerts.