Author Topic: A helmet question...  (Read 7330 times)

Offline tomp

A helmet question...
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
My bikes are either black or dark blue, except for a red one, and not always easy for drivers to notice.    To add at least a little more visibility, I've been thinking of acquiring a fluorescent yellow FF modular helmet.  Not thinking about color coordination or bling, simply something that may grab a driver's attention. 

Just wondering if any of you are using a helmet in that BRIGHT YELLOW color?  Since I cannot see myself inside the helmet, I don't care how I look to others, but wondering if any here are using the same color, and why you chose such.... My black helmet is in need of a change soon, and think yellow may be the ticket. ( Also wear a silver one.  Weather temps determine which i choose.)

Thanks,  tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A helmet question...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
I think those helmets look horrible.  Generally, I believe in function(/safety) over form, yet I wouldn't wear one of those :)  But I have to admit, I can more easily see people when they are wearing them.... especially on darker bikes.  White seems to be the next most visible.  So if your aim is higher daytime visibility, it is a "win".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »
I have a Shoei Neotec modular in hi-viz yellow w/black and noticed it gets the attention of drivers as it is highest point. Family and friends can spot me easily in a group and around the neighborhood and town. It's not annoying bright but still able to let cagers know I'm on the road.

Here's what it looks like... http://www.amazon.com/Shoei-Neotec-Borealis-Helmet-X-Large/dp/B0097B7TV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449031158&sr=8-1&keywords=B0097B7TV6

Offline tomp

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
I think those helmets look horrible.  Generally, I believe in function(/safety) over form, yet I wouldn't wear one of those :)  But I have to admit, I can more easily see people when they are wearing them.... especially on darker bikes.  White seems to be the next most visible.  So if your aim is higher daytime visibility, it is a "win".
Where I live, a rider could be covered in neon and Christmas lights and drivers would swear they didn't see them, so the helmet, though not sooo cool, may help a little.  Never thought I would like FF helmets, but today, feel unprotected with a Half or 3/4 model.  Modular is my favorite FF, Don't like the trapped in feel from standard FF's.  Just me, I guess. . .

Offline Swampcat

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:23:23 AM »
I'm wearing a bright yellow Shoei RF-1200. I was swayed to go that way when I saw another rider on a black bike and from about 1/4 mile away the helmet was the most noticeable thing, even more so than his military hi-viz vest.
--Ed

2004 Kawasaki Concours ("Shoodaben"—yes, THAT Shoodaben)
1991 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:45:39 AM »
Where I live, a rider could be covered in neon and Christmas lights and drivers would swear they didn't see them, so the helmet, though not sooo cool, may help a little. 

I think that is pretty much everywhere.

Never thought I would like FF [full face] helmets, but today, feel unprotected with a Half or 3/4 model.  Modular is my favorite FF,

That's because you were unprotected :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 05:56:01 AM »
Thanks Jim, for putting this where it will get the best exposure.  Never even been to this specific forum before.  tomp

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:09:11 AM »
Tomp,
I have the same situation- a black C14.
I've been of the same mindset lately, and decided to increase my visibility.
Last month, I bought a new Scorpion EXO1100 Jag helmet, combines hi-viz yellow and black graphics, good looking helmet, full featured FF, looks good. I also bought a new First Gear all-textile waterproof jacket in hi-viz yellow. I then bought some thin 1/8th inch wide hi-viz yellow pin stripe tape, and added some highlights to the bike along the fins on the bags and fairing.

I've noticed getting more attention from drivers.

Even if it doesn't look as good as other colors, it does work.
I say, anything that gets you noticed, is a good thing and worth it.

Personally, I think black and yellow look good together.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Well, first off, no one sees us anyway.  Having said that, I switched from a dark red hat that matched my bike to a white one years ago.  I had noticed when riding with other with white helmets that they were much more visible to those of us who actually LOOK.  When I ride down a city street with store windows, I notice myself passing by, even in my peripheral vision.  The helmet is a Shoei RF1000.  I see my helmet before I see the green/yellow safety vest, as it is up above the rest of the bike out of the backscatter of other colors.  I'll never again ride with a dark colored helmet.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:41:01 PM by Nosmo »
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Leo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
Slightly off topic but shows that people can see what they want.  About 30 years ago, I cannot remember if it was Bristol, NC or the Bristol, TN side of town.    I was coming through town on my way to the coast riding a Grey Yamaha with a white helmet and a black visor.    You would have thought I was running lights and sirens as people started slowing down, getting in the right hand lane, giving me the right away at intersections.   They were the most respectful drivers I had ever seen.   Then I saw a Motor Officer who looked just like me, it all made sense.   He was on a Grey Yamaha with a white helmet and a black visor.    That proves it, people can and will see you if it is in their best interest.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline tomp

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
Slightly off topic but shows that people can see what they want.  About 30 years ago, I cannot remember if it was Bristol, NC or the Bristol, TN side of town.    I was coming through town on my way to the coast riding a Grey Yamaha with a white helmet and a black visor.    You would have thought I was running lights and sirens as people started slowing down, getting in the right hand lane, giving me the right away at intersections.   They were the most respectful drivers I had ever seen.   Then I saw a Motor Officer who looked just like me, it all made sense.   He was on a Grey Yamaha with a white helmet and a black visor.    That proves it, people can and will see you if it is in their best interest.
Here they ride Electra glides and Road Kings, but do have the black n white helmets.  Come on home to Texas before the snow up there gets too bad.  With shorter winter sunlight, when commuting to work n home, I am currently wearing the sliver FF, hoping that headlights reflect off of it.  Who knows.  tp

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »
Shoei Qwest in taxi cab yellow, and Scorpion in bright orange/blue split two tone. Both garish as all get out. My favorite look in helmets.
A friend of mine -- who may be on this forum now-a-days -- had an old HJC he spray bombed with florescent orange. As he got to the toll booth attendant one day, she noted to him that she saw him coming from 2 miles away, due entirely to the helmet. I wear hi-viz jackets and bright helmets exclusively now, and have zero doubt that it makes a big difference, particularly in Orlando traffic.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
Here they ride Electra glides and Road Kings, but do have the black n white helmets
though the helmets are beanies, not full-faced helmets, in Milwaukee.

I now replaced a black HJC modular helmet with a silver Shoei modular when the FedEx truck broke the HJC.

I changed over to a KLIM hi-viz jacket from black Speed & Strength jacket and pants.

But the biggest safety improvement I have noticed is placing LED trunk lights from Admore in my Givi 47l.  Having those lights at the eye level of car drivers has doubled the space/interval at stoplights.  They stay much farther back, was 4-6', now 10' unless its heavy traffic.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:27:20 PM »
Which Admore lights did you use?