Author Topic: geez ladies...if the shoe fits....  (Read 7781 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
geez ladies...if the shoe fits....
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline DeansZG

Re: geez ladies...if the shoe fits....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »

Well....... at least the waiter's eyesight is spot on!  :yikes: 
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »

indeed! and he didn't get the customer's bills confused  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »
Oooh, not really that funny :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Oooh, not really that funny :-\

especially considering he lost HIS JOB over writing truth on the biggun's tab slip

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
I LOL'ed.   If it were 3 straight fat boys, nothing would have been said. Especially if it was a logical description.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
I'm all for making fun of folks, do it all the time.  Just not for physical attributes.
Well, not since I was a teenager anyway:)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
I'm all for making fun of folks, do it all the time.  Just not for physical attributes.
Well, not since I was a teenager anyway:)

It was an honest mistake on the part of the waiter...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
If I was on the receiving end of a check with the description "old guy" I would laugh at the accurate description, pay the bill and go. I also think those woman should get a sense of humor. But on the other hand, if it were my restaurant, I would fire the guy. Restaurants are in the customer service business and describing the customer with a derogatory comment would be unacceptable.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

He can use that good eyesight when he's looking for another job.

As Rhino said, it's all about customer service. Entering 'fat girls' on a receipt that the waiter KNOWS the women will see is not the smartest move on his part. He screwed up and deserves to lose his job.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline julianop

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:16 PM »
He can use that good eyesight when he's looking for another job.

As Rhino said, it's all about customer service. Entering 'fat girls' on a receipt that the waiter KNOWS the women will see is not the smartest move on his part. He screwed up and deserves to lose his job.

I disagree. Poor choice, yes; thoughtless, yes; but to lose your livelihood over a moment of thoughtlessness like that?

The world is short on responsible adults; we all need to do better in that regard, and taking serious offense and over-reacting over such a silly thing is pointless. If the women concerned were offended about being called fat, they know what to do about it: lose weigh. Was it a surprise, for heaven's sake?

People in third world countries - or people in our own who couldn't even consider going out to eat in a restaurant - have far worse problems.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
I disagree. Poor choice, yes; thoughtless, yes; but to lose your livelihood over a moment of thoughtlessness like that?

The world is short on responsible adults; we all need to do better in that regard, and taking serious offense and over-reacting over such a silly thing is pointless. If the women concerned were offended about being called fat, they know what to do about it: lose weigh. Was it a surprise, for heaven's sake?

People in third world countries - or people in our own who couldn't even consider going out to eat in a restaurant - have far worse problems.

The waiter came thisclose to calling those women fat to their faces (he knew they would see the receipt). You don't think that he should be fired for that?

It makes no difference if they were fat or not. I'm sure the owner loves it when they come in to eat. How many customers would he have risked losing if he didn't fire the guy?

"People in third world countries - or people in our own who couldn't even consider going out to eat in a restaurant - have far worse problems."

I agree but what does that have to do with this?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »
Prat of the problem is that "fat" is a relative term, AND it has a negative social connotation when used like this.  Not having seen the girls in question, I don't have an opinion.  As one of the above examples said, I wouldn't mind if the receipt said "old guy", but if it were a female serving, and the bill read "wimp", I might feel differently.

I do have to agreee, the guy is in a service industry, keeping the customers happy is the primary objective.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »
Prat of the problem is that "fat" is a relative term, AND it has a negative social connotation when used like this.  Not having seen the girls in question, I don't have an opinion.  As one of the above examples said, I wouldn't mind if the receipt said "old guy", but if it were a female serving, and the bill read "wimp", I might feel differently.

I do have to agreee, the guy is in a service industry, keeping the customers happy is the primary objective.

There shouldn't be any personal observations written down on a receipt given to customers, period.  Totally unprofessional.  He deserved to be fired and his manager as well for not paying attention to what his wait staff are doing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
There was a video of this on our local news and the description of the women is completely accurate.  I wonder what the reaction would have been if the women were anorexically thin and he had written "skinny girls"?  I know that "fat" has been deemed a derogatory term, but what if it a legitimate description?  What if a man is 6'7" in height and he's described as the "tall guy"?  Does he have room for complaint?  If I wear my Fieldsheer riding jacket into the restaurant and am described as "the biker dude", do I have reason to complain?  I'm a tall, thin, grey-haired-but-balding, soon-to-be-senior citizen biker dude so I guess pretty soon I'll be able to gripe about nearly any description someone lays on me.

But, yeah, the guy who wrote on the receipt is an idiot (another derogatory term, although a legitimate psychology description) who should not be employed in a service industry.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
There was a video of this on our local news and the description of the women is completely accurate.  I wonder what the reaction would have been if the women were anorexically thin and he had written "skinny girls"?  I know that "fat" has been deemed a derogatory term, but what if it a legitimate description?  What if a man is 6'7" in height and he's described as the "tall guy"?  Does he have room for complaint?  If I wear my Fieldsheer riding jacket into the restaurant and am described as "the biker dude", do I have reason to complain?  I'm a tall, thin, grey-haired-but-balding, soon-to-be-senior citizen biker dude so I guess pretty soon I'll be able to gripe about nearly any description someone lays on me.

But, yeah, the guy who wrote on the receipt is an idiot (another derogatory term, although a legitimate psychology description) who should not be employed in a service industry.

Thanks for keeping facts in check for this thread!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

Ok, perhaps a stern warning but I would at least tell him it's 2 strikes and your out. Also if I were the owner/manager I would have covered their entire meal.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »
Ok, perhaps a stern warning but I would at least tell him it's 2 strikes and your out. Also if I were the owner/manager I would have covered their entire meal.

Yup, a warning would have been more fair. I bet even the big girls don't appreciate him being fired either.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Poor judgement on the waiter's part. He must have written off any type of expected tip. Perhaps the waiter had a challenging encounter with the girls. If he was a member of the UAW he could have gone out back, drank alcohol and smoked dope, come back in to work and still have a job. Go figure. He better use the term "morbid obesity" in the future.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
Yup, a warning would have been more fair. I bet even the big girls don't appreciate him being fired either.

Again, accurate description but I wonder if that would have been more palatable.