Author Topic: Hello from southeast PA - I saved a c14!  (Read 1506 times)

Offline bikemanb12

Hello from southeast PA - I saved a c14!
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:38:01 PM »
Hello Everyone,
    My name is Mike and I live in the Lancaster, PA area.  Just yesterday I picked up a 2008 C14 that showed up on Facebook Marketplace.  The bike looked good from a distance, but up close it was apparent the it had spent the last several years stored outside. Rust in the tank, rust on bolt heads, faded black trim, faded seat, and moderate corrosion on the wheels.  Anyway, it runs...kinda...won't rev past 5000 rpm if you open the throttle, so I'm currently sifting through the clogged fuel filter threads.  On the plus side, the bike has 22K miles, has a dual Muzzy exhaust with what appears to be zx14 headers, an ECU flash of some kind (the guy couldn't tell me which flash), Garmin GPS, and a wired intercom system.
      I got it for a good price and am ok with a project bike.  Currently I have a Yamaha MT10 and a BMW K1200LT so the C14 fits right in between those two.  About 6 months ago I sold my 2006 ZX14 and regretted it ever since so it's nice to have a derivative of that bike back in my garage.  I hope to learn a lot on this forum. 

Mike

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Hello from southeast PA - I saved a c14!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:53:19 AM »
Welcome Mike,
The ECU should have a sticker on it telling you who flashed it.
The limited RPM does sound like fuel starvation but could also be a failed fuel pressure sensor or another failed sensor forcing the bike into "limp home mode"
At 22k miles the fuel filter shouldn't have clogged yet.
Are there any codes on the dash?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline bikemanb12

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:22:57 AM »
Thanks Boomer,
     I’ll check the sensor as well. The reason I think there’s a clog is the tank is very rusty inside. Last night it actually shut off while riding around the neighbor hood with two bars showing on the fuel gauge. Before I fill it up I plan to clean out the tank and neutralize the rust. I have a new pump assembly to try as well. I guess I’ll see for sure when I pull the tank.

Mike

Offline Danger4u2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
For gas tank rust use aluminum oxide, gravel and the strongest vinegar you can find.
For my 06 Ninja 250 I made a block off plate for the petcock hole, rubber vacuum caps and covered
the gas hole with stretch wrap shutting the gas cap, locking it.  I took my electric cement mixer and put a packing
blanket inside, then the tank with the a-lox/gravel/vinegar slurry in the tank. Put a 2nd blanket in to hold the tank and duct tape the opening.  I can set the mixer at different angles so it can scrub all of the inside.  I pulled the tank out and changed the front of the tank to the outside of the mixer.  I ran it 6 hours and it was nice and clean.  Get all you can out of the tank with a water hose.  Fill with hot water (near boiling) so it heats the metal real hot.  Blow it out with compressed air. The hot metal will help it self dry.   

KX500 is Danger4u2

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Thanks Boomer,
     I’ll check the sensor as well. The reason I think there’s a clog is the tank is very rusty inside. Last night it actually shut off while riding around the neighbor hood with two bars showing on the fuel gauge. Before I fill it up I plan to clean out the tank and neutralize the rust. I have a new pump assembly to try as well. I guess I’ll see for sure when I pull the tank.

Mike
If the tank has rusted, then the filter will be clogged up and that will almost certainly be the cause.
Changing the filter is easy enough but if you have a new pump and are going to clean and treat the tank first, that should solve the problem.
I'd keep the old pump but fit a new filter to it as a spare.
I assume you have also dumped the old gas and filled it with fresh, as X year old gas will be nasty.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline bikemanb12

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:31:48 PM »
I started the tank cleaning/derusting process this evening.  It was pretty rancid in there with old gas and rust.  Cleaned up nice though.  While I had the tank off I took a peak in the airbox and discovered the secondary butterflies have been removed.  I also confirmed it's got zx14 headers.  No markings on the ECU though so I have no idea what flash is on it.  Another day or so and I'll be able to test ride it.

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »
I agree with Boomer. {Don't tell anyone I sed that}  8)
Filter clogged. Prolly best to change pump, regulator, and filter while your there.
Tell us more, or post a photo of the headers and we can help you define them.

I suspect you have {ZX-14} Muzzy headers, not OEM ZX-14 headers.
OEM ZX-14 headers came in 3 styles. Only the early ZX-14 headers did not have cats.
Muzzy made Single and a Dual header system's. Some of the members are using them.
The left muffler hanger on your bike probably came from Muzzy, and the mid pipes/mufflers look like the ones I had/sold.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline bikemanb12

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 05:18:04 PM »
Took some pics of the headers.  They are in rough shape.  If ZX14 headers are an upgrade, I have a set from my 2006 ZX14 I sold last fall.  The 06's didn't have the cats in the headers.  I'm curious what you think these are currently on my c14.

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »
Those are 2006 or 2007 ZX-14 OEM's.
They are identical to the ones that are on my bike.
In 2008, they used the same header design, and added a catalytic converter.
In 2012, the ZX-14R's came out.
They will also fit the engine, but are a completely different header.

6-7 ZX-14 header like yours.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-Zx14-Exhaust-Header-Pipes-Manifold-NO-DENTS/114365328769?epid=1323815557&hash=item1aa0b46d81:g:O8IAAOSwblBfPVdq

8-11 ZX-14 header with cat.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-KAWASAKI-ZX14-OEM-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPES-MANIFOLD/373447795090?hash=item56f3392192:g:aj8AAOSwLYRgGXmQ

12-18 ZX-14R header
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2016-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX-14R-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-HEADERS-FITS-2016-2020/184659586182?hash=item2afe91ac86:g:szEAAOSw9PNgJH8-

Muzzy 4 into 1 system {Very damaged / junk}
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-11-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX14-MUZZY-FULL-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-HEADERS-PIPE-MUFFLER-SLIP-ON/114464446720?hash=item1aa69cd900:g:0FMAAOSwawpXtJ9U

The Mid pipes you have appear to be Muzzy's, and we know the mufflers are Muzzy's.
I had a set, but they were too loud for me, and I kept dragging the Mids in the turns.  :battle:
So. I went to Area P mid pipes and mufflers.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline bikemanb12

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
Fixed the fuel pump issue.  Runs great after replacing the pump, filter and derusting.  Now if I could figure out why the vent line keeps leaking gas onto the ground I could actually for for a long ride. 

Mike

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 08:27:56 PM »
I'm not sure if the line your referring to; is a vent, an overflow, or a rain drain (??).
I think it allows anything above the tank (such as rain water) drain to the ground rather than into the tank when the lid is opened.
The tube for that line passes inside the tank.
I think I recall that some of those tubes had holes in them (possibly from rust).
If my memory is correct, the fuel in the tank gets inside that line thru the holes and drips.

If you can confirm this, a repair may be possible.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:47:48 AM by connie_rider »