Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293020 times)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
Ryan, That would be perfect. At least having the option to look behind the uppers would have enough benefit to satisfy myself.

Thank you for the opportunity and taking the time to discuss the concerns of this group as individuals and at least attempting to take it all in for the design of a product that will benefit us. It is a farkle that is sorely lacking and long overdue for this bike form an affordability and functionality standpoint.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words, John! I sure hope I can deliver a product that suits the needs of you guys at a decent price while looking good! It's going to take some work but I believe it's doable especially with all the great feedback I've been getting from this forum!

I am reading this thread with great interest, and looking forward to the product.  I appreciate you going to the core customers for input.  My primary interest is in tipover protection (e.g., falling over while parked).  [If the bike hits the ground while running at speed, I don't expect to have much clean plastic afterwards.]  Also, I prefer no drilling.

Thanks for your input, Texas!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
Maybe a quick release could be made that had a necked down end on the bar that fit into the end of the mount (portion "permanently" attached to the bike) and the junction held in place by a ball-pin, cotter pin or something similar. The connection would be in a place that's very near the engine or hidden somewhat by the fairing. Since most of your tip-overs would be trying to jam this joint together, it might work.

Hopefully you understand what I'm describing with my having to resort to doing a sketch, LOL.   ???

That is an excellent suggestion, and, in fact, something I was thinking about too but never posted.  A sort of compromise.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
The current set-up, the front right bar, to get it off and on is a balancing act. The plastic has to hang onto the bar while it is being installed. If the this bracket were a two pc design where the upprt mounting points tube was only like 2" long with a solid pin welded in this tube, the remaining bracket can slide onto this pin, have a cross pin to lock it in place and still bolt up at the current lower mounting point. This way, one bolt to remove and one cross pin to pull and it's off. A simular set-up for the left would work too. With a set-up like this, new designs can use the same mounting points on the bike and can have different bar shapes outside of the plastic. Also this set-up should only take 5 min's to take it off or to put it back on once the upper mounting points have been installed.

Ryan, if you would like to know more about how I think that this can be done, I'll gladly discuss it with you.

If you're talking about the 'bathroom bars', you can cut out the small tab of plastic that runs between the fins and  then slide that part of the fairing off without unbolting the guards...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:56 PM »
Do you plan on these for '08-'09 as well a later years? 

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
HI,RYAN.....
Your products allready prove their value and reliability and strength in my case(hit by a car,sliding for 50 meters!!!)....let's see what you have in mind now!!!..... :chugbeer:
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
I'm on my phone so I have a little trouble multi-quoting. Hahahaha

Unfortunately we have to go one bike at a time.  Seeing as how the 2010-2012 model is the most current and most popular, we plan on beginning with that bike. If these Canyon Cage bars are as popular as they seem, I'm sure we'll work on getting a 2008-2009 in the shop to fit up as well.

Wow, you were hit by a car, the bike slid 50 meters, and the bars didn't give?! That's pretty amazing, I haven't heard that before. Although, we did have one customer a while back who was riding in the backwoods somewhere and he was t-boned by a deer. He ended up being hospitalized because it knocked him off but apparently our guards help up.

MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
THE BARS both front and rear BEND and lost metal!!! but save the most of the plastics and my legs...!!
before 2 months i ordered the new ones...i have already installed them..... ;D
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
THE BARS both front and rear BEND and lost metal!!! but save the most of the plastics and my legs...!!
before 2 months i ordered the new ones...i have already installed them..... ;D

Wow, that is crazy! I'm glad to hear you're okay though!

Offline Zulu

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
 I got  a 2012  with 300 miles only. You can borrow it  for a week or two . To help you out with the Canyon Cage. I'm in Los Angeles.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
I got  a 2012  with 300 miles only. You can borrow it  for a week or two . To help you out with the Canyon Cage. I'm in Los Angeles.

Awesome! I actually just got the green light from the owner to go ahead and start this project! Were aiming for a start date of Monday, April 2nd. Do you think that'd be a good day for you to bring your bike in? It should only take us a single work week to get the prototype done so you should be riding again by that weekend!

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
Awesome! I actually just got the green light from the owner to go ahead and start this project! Were aiming for a start date of Monday, April 2nd. Do you think that'd be a good day for you to bring your bike in? It should only take us a single work week to get the prototype done so you should be riding again by that weekend!

Fantastic!  I can't wait to see what it produced.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »

Unfortunately we have to go one bike at a time.  Seeing as how the 2010-2012 model is the most current and most popular, we plan on beginning with that bike. If these Canyon Cage bars are as popular as they seem, I'm sure we'll work on getting a 2008-2009 in the shop to fit up as well.

Wow, you were hit by a car, the bike slid 50 meters, and the bars didn't give?! That's pretty amazing, I haven't heard that before. Although, we did have one customer a while back who was riding in the backwoods somewhere and he was t-boned by a deer. He ended up being hospitalized because it knocked him off but apparently our guards help up.

I understand and appreciate what you folks are doing, but you may want to consider that there are probably just as many '08-'09 models on the road and ready for these bars as there are '10-'12 model year bikes. 

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
Well I guess that solves my dilemma, GSG it is for me.  Maybe in the future if it works out.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I understand and appreciate what you folks are doing, but you may want to consider that there are probably just as many '08-'09 models on the road and ready for these bars as there are '10-'12 model year bikes.

That's definitely possible. We have to start somewhere though and we're somewhat limited by what bikes we have access to as well. So far I've found customers with a 2010 and 2012 Connie who were kind enough to offer up their bikes but I haven't found a 2008-2009 yet.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
That's definitely possible. We have to start somewhere though and we're somewhat limited by what bikes we have access to as well. So far I've found customers with a 2010 and 2012 Connie who were kind enough to offer up their bikes but I haven't found a 2008-2009 yet.

If you were in Colorado you could use mine...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
Totally understand that!  :(

Offline Zulu

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »
Ryan I will call you on Monday  March 26. To schedule a time and date to drop her off.  Great  to hear there is a green light . Can’t wait to see the  final product .

Offline Klavdy

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
Don't fall into the trap of over capitalising your idea for crashbars.
You may want to ask yourself a few questions along the following lines.
How many of these things do you think you'll sell,how much will they cost to make,how much will they sell for, what is the profit margin,how long will it take to recoup the original investment plus 25% for  interest that could have been earned & returns/warranty repairs.
Sometimes compromises must be made and simple things are the best.

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
I like the GSXR Canyon Cage better than the R6. It would be easier to mount a set of lights on that GSXR style and possibly an unobtrusive set of highway pegs. Good luck with your design.
Colorado
2013 Blue

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
Ryan I will call you on Monday  March 26. To schedule a time and date to drop her off.  Great  to hear there is a green light . Can’t wait to see the  final product .

Sounds good!