Author Topic: Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring heated grips  (Read 1392 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring heated grips
« on: November 11, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
I have not ridden much in the past 20 months because of Covid. Much of my riding is commuting and I have been working from home.

I am now back to 2 days a week in the office and as such, my first ride in was 2 weeks ago and while it was still not super cold and I was still using my normal leather gloves with some perforations, I did notice my fingers were chilly by the time I got to work.

Knowing I would be riding a decent amount during this fall/winter/spring and not liking the winter thinsulate gloves all that much, I decided to bite the bullet and get some heated grips since my 2009 didn't come with them standard (started with 2010 if I remember correctly).

I didn't find a whole lot of info on here about these, so I figured I would post about them.
Link on Amazon (current price is $103):
https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Heaterz-Premium-Touring-Grips/dp/B07N12ZYR9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=11LSKW10QOQIH&keywords=oxford+heaterz+premium+touring+heated+grips&qid=1636641730&sprefix=oxford+heaterz%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-2

These grips are made very well and installation wasn't bad.

1. Start by inspecting the new grips and turning them on to verify that they heat.
2. Remove the bar weights and cut off the old grips, ensuring you don't apply too much cutting pressure to the throttle side as you can cut through the throttle tube fairly easily if you are not careful.
3. Hook up the wiring harness to the battery terminals and run the cables (they automatically turn off when the controller doesn't sense any vibration from the motor, but I will still turn them off on my own every time anyway.
4. Dry fit as needed to ensure wires fit properly.
5. Install either using the superglue they provide or whatever your choice of glue may be (more about that later) and re-install the bar weights. Ensure the molded cables don't interfere with the clutch and brake levers.
6. Find a place to mount the controller.
7. Plug everything in and clean up all the wiring.
8. Ride.

For the Concours, there are no modifications needed to the throttle tube at all, it is a good fit. I chose the clutch reservoir clamp for installing the controller. I had to bend it slightly to clear the reservoir, but that was a simple task. The spacers and proper mounting bolts all come with the grips.

Finished picture is attached.

I listened to an old post on here which said to us WD40 to install as when it dried it would be like glue. Nope. Didn't work.
I then removed, cleaned and tried using haispray. That didn't work either and the grips would spin.
I removed and cleaned up again and actually used some grip tape for golf grips, since I had it and had already thrown out the superglue that comes with the package. That worked well, but I would have preferred to use a glue. I am not sure about super glue though, as the working time is very limited for that. I am sure others have good suggestions for this.

Today was my first ride in with them and they work great. I had them on medium power and it was 48° out when I left. They were plenty warm and did their job well. I could surely feel the difference and a few times when lifting my left hand off the grip during the ride in, you could feel the grip was cooler when my hand went back on there, but it recovered quickly. I have never had a bike with heated grips, so this is a first for me, but I am a believer already. I would recommend them for anyone who has an older model and would like to add heat as it is a pretty easy install and for the cost, it is hard to beat.

Edit to add: These grips are a little larger diameter than stock grips and shorter in length.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:16:14 AM by SVonhof »
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline PH14

Re: Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring heated grips
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
I have those on my Ural. Really nice grips. I ride it all Winter here in Pennsylvania, and the grips do a great job keeking my hands warm. I have thought about putting them on my 2009 Concous, but haven't yet.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 10:15:32 AM »
I have those on my Ural. Really nice grips. I ride it all Winter here in Pennsylvania, and the grips do a great job keeking my hands warm. I have thought about putting them on my 2009 Concous, but haven't yet.

Since you have experience with them, what is stopping you? (this from a guy who was told 6+ years ago that he should get heated grips and just now did it)
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »

Concous?  Is that anything like Couscous?  LOL
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »

Too funny! I didn't even notice!
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
I listened to an old post on here which said to us WD40 to install as when it dried it would be like glue. Nope. Didn't work.
I then removed, cleaned and tried using haispray. That didn't work either and the grips would spin.
I removed and cleaned up again and actually used some grip tape for golf grips, since I had it and had already thrown out the superglue that comes with the package. That worked well, but I would have preferred to use a glue. I am not sure about super glue though, as the working time is very limited for that. I am sure others have good suggestions for this.

Super glue seems like absolutely the wrong choice.... but who knows.
Maybe some rubber cement?  It can be sticky and somewhat forgiving, while also flexible, and usually has a long working time (certainly longer than superglue).  If I were trying it, I would just put some small random dots all over because you wouldn't want anything TOO strong.

Also, it would have been a good time to replace your throttle tube with something better.  The teflon-coated metal one I use is just SO much smoother and better than the stock plastic thing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
Super glue seems like absolutely the wrong choice.... but who knows.
Maybe some rubber cement?  It can be sticky and somewhat forgiving, while also flexible, and usually has a long working time (certainly longer than superglue).  If I were trying it, I would just put some small random dots all over because you wouldn't want anything TOO strong.

Also, it would have been a good time to replace your throttle tube with something better.  The teflon-coated metal one I use is just SO much smoother and better than the stock plastic thing.

Ah, well, I didn't know there was a replacement available like that.   :(  I agree, it would have been a good time to do it. Too late now unless I want to risk damaging it when removing. If it ever comes loose, I know what I will be doing!

Link? G2 Ergonomics?
Scott

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 02:20:43 AM »
I've been using Oxford Heated Grips on my C10 for well over 10 years.
I did have one problem with the throttle grip wearing out really fast just a few weeks after installation.
I contacted Oxford, and they immediately sent me a replacement grip with a paid return bag to send them the worn one.
They then emailed me 3 weeks later apologising as a batch of grips had not been correctly heat treated.
As thanks for helping them discover the cause, they refunded the entire cost of the grips. :-)
I still have those same grips fitted and some wear is visible but they still work and are still usable.
That set has the old analogue controller. I prefer that as it has infinite positions so you can set the heat to exactly what you need.

I bought a 2nd set to fit to my C14 in 2017, but after my wreck on the C10 in June 2017 I am no longer commuting by bike, so I still haven't fitted them.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 05:47:09 AM »
Link? G2 Ergonomics?

Yep... Throttle Tamer
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 05:49:41 AM »
I bought a 2nd set to fit to my C14 in 2017

Why?  The 2nd gen all have factory-installed heated grips.  They work very well, unless yours failed or something (never heard of that happening).

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 07:11:53 AM »
The 08 I bought from a member here came with the Oxfords. I have put over 50,000 miles on them and they still work great and no noticeable wear. 
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »
Since you have experience with them, what is stopping you? (this from a guy who was told 6+ years ago that he should get heated grips and just now did it)

I have never really seen the need for them on the Concours. I ride it all year too, but never had an issue. My Ural came with them, I bought it used. The Ural sees more Winter use. When I ride the Concours in the Winter, I am only riding around town, so I haven't felt the need for it. Of course having now ridden with the grips on the Ural, it is more tempting.

I have Winter riding gloves that I use on the Concours, and they work well. Around town with temperatures in the teens is no problem with those gloves, and wind deflectors installed.

I would recommend gloves made for heated grips now that you have them. I bought some last year. They have insulation on top, but not so much on the palm side of the gloves. It allows the heat to get into the gloves.

Phil

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »

:rotflmao: Oops

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 01:49:58 PM »
Why?  The 2nd gen all have factory-installed heated grips.  They work very well, unless yours failed or something (never heard of that happening).
Correct, but my 08 1st Gen model did not come with heated grips. 😁
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 05:15:15 PM »
Correct, but my 08 1st Gen model did not come with heated grips. 😁

Yep, I now realize you said "in 2017" not "for your 2017" :)
That's what I get for reading quickly.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 05:20:57 PM »
I have never really seen the need for them on the Concours. I ride it all year too, but never had an issue.

I love and use the heated grips.  One of the best features ever :)

I have Winter riding gloves that I use on the Concours, and they work well. Around town with temperatures in the teens is no problem with those gloves, and wind deflectors installed.

I hate my winter gloves.  They are just too thick and hard to control things.  That is one of the things I like about heated grips- I can wear my medium-weight gloves most of the winter.  Turn the grips on low at around 50F, and raise the setting as the outside temps go lower.  Once it gets to around 35F, I have to switch to the winter gloves.  Thankfully, it doesn't get near/below freezing that long around here.

I would recommend gloves made for heated grips now that you have them. I bought some last year. They have insulation on top, but not so much on the palm side of the gloves. It allows the heat to get into the gloves.

That is a neat idea.  I have wondered about that before, but never saw anything like them.  Likely restricted choice too much even if I had noticed.  I can't buy things like gloves online.  Sizing means nothing.  I have gloves that are small, medium, and large, and are all the same size.  I guess I could if I was in the the "return" game.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 07:15:49 PM »
That is a neat idea.  I have wondered about that before, but never saw anything like them.  Likely restricted choice too much even if I had noticed.  I can't buy things like gloves online.  Sizing means nothing.  I have gloves that are small, medium, and large, and are all the same size.  I guess I could if I was in the the "return" game

I am 100% with you on this. I cannot buy clothes or gloves online. I NEED to try things on. I will take a look for gloves like PH14 mentions, but I have never seen (I have never looked either) for them. It does sound like a good idea, but reading reviews of such online, I see that people complain that their fingers freeze as their palms are nice and toasty. Maybe we need gloves with minimal insulation on the palms only? I don't know yet as I have had heated grips for a single ride in to work (it was beautiful in the afternoon for the ride home).
Scott

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 02:39:30 AM »
https://motorgearexpert.com/best-motorcycle-gloves-for-heated-grips/

As for finding gloves that fit, I have spades for hands and long fingers so I don't even try gloves on until I see 4XL or 5XL on the label.
I have tried ordering 5XLs online and about 50% have had to be sent back as too small.
Summer gloves are fairly easy to find, but good winter gloves in my size are damned near impossible.
I have a pair of IXS Arctic gloves that are good, but they are still a little too small for me.

I also have a pair of "lobster-claw" style gloves that are comfy and superbly warm but are nearly worn out and have never been waterproof.
I got those at a motorcycle show from a bargain bin way back in the early 2000s and paid a massive £20 (US$27) for them.
I have on many occasions arrived at my destination with warm wrinkled hands and steaming gloves. <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK