Poll

Pick the best answer for your experience with the black plastic handle/cover on top of the C14 pannier (bag)

I have never had a latch handle/cover fail or go missing
I had 1 fail
I had 2 fail
I had MORE than 2 fail (yikes)
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about

Author Topic: C14 Saddlebag Latch Handle Covers Poll  (Read 2411 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
C14 Saddlebag Latch Handle Covers Poll
« on: August 11, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »
This is an offshoot of this recent thread:  https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25138
Just trying to get a feeling for how prevalent the issue is.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
Re: C14 Saddlebag Latch Handle Covers Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »
Both sides of mine on both of my 08's came off & are lost.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 05:43:14 AM »
Before the recall on them or after?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 07:00:16 AM »
Before the recall on them or after?

After. Including my current 08.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »
What years were affected by the recall?  (I don't think I was aware of one- I thought there was a recall on the orange latch, not the handle cover things)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 09:39:19 AM »
Yes, the recall was for the saddlebag latches.  Affected at least '08, possibly '09.  After that I know they all were produced with the updated latches.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »
I can remember that there were a few more reports after that recall was done but then really nothing after.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
On my 08, no saddlebag latches took off yet. One of my headlight aim knobs was loose, air got under it and off it went. Saw it happen but it was gone before I could stop it and decided not to bother trying to look for it. New ones are about $10.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 07:20:38 AM »
I'm looking for clarification on this issue. Is it limited to 2008 and 2009 C14's? I have a 2011 - Is this something I should worry about? If so, is there something I can do to prevent it from happening (e.g. take apart, clean out old adhesive, apply new adhesive)?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 09:10:19 AM »
I don't think that recall affected 2nd gen bikes (10+).  Kwackers had it sorted by then.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15118.0

The recall doc is in that thread.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
Again, the only recall is on the latching mechanism, not on the handle covers.  The handle covers are just black plastic covers on the top of the pannier open levers.  It is my understanding that they are primarily decorative.  If they fall off, it just looks bad (and allows some weather into places that should be avoided), it doesn't cause pannier failure or detachment or unintentional opening.

I believe this is a photo of it:

Offline 1951VBS

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 01:53:10 PM »
Actually the covers do hold some parts of the lower handle in place.  When mine came off I have a little trouble lining up the lower parts so I could glue the cover on.  Unless something was broken on mine?  2012 C14  I would have to take it apart again to figure it out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »
Actually the covers do hold some parts of the lower handle in place.  When mine came off I have a little trouble lining up the lower parts so I could glue the cover on.  Unless something was broken on mine?  2012 C14  I would have to take it apart again to figure it out.

I was looking for a photo of the parts and how they fit (and onto what) and didn't come up with anything.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 11:35:52 AM »
Those cover come with the 2 little retainer blocks that usually come off/ get lost with the covers.

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »
2010 here. I voted, but wanted to specify the year. Haven't lost mine.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.