Author Topic: How do I pick one?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
How do I pick one?
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
I am in the market for a new helmet. I read through the Neotec thread and looked at a few online shops. Yesterday I stopped at local gear shop and decided on a Nolan N-90 they had on sale. I rode home with it on. It was reasonably comfortable and had the integral sun visor that I was wanting but it was so loud I knew by the time I got home it was going back.
I know the features I want and about how much I want to spend. Are there any online places you can use some form of search to narrow the selections down?
Maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction?
I have pretty much ruled out modulars since most say they are noisier than full face helmets.
I want full face with the integrated sun visor since I start off in the dark most days and I don't want to swap shields twice a day. $300 or less. Good ventilation is very important too. And last but not least, quiet or as quiet as I can get. I still have my old Bell Racestar helmet from my racecar days and it is quieter than most of the helmets I have tried recently but the interior of it has rotted a bit and I can't find replacement liner for it. Not even sure it is acceptable for MC use.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline RBX QB

Re: How do I pick one?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
Helmets are a crap shoot. What's good for one person might not be for another. I've bought many helmets (10+) looking for greener pastures but have come to the realization that the grass isn't always greener.

My advise is to just keep plugging away until you find something that works well enough. Also, be aware that something as trivial as windshield shape, position or height has a dramatic effect on noise, air flow and turbulence.  I have several helmets that work well with naked bikes that are simply too loud and turbulent when used with a windshield.

Right now I'm back and forth between my Scorpion EXO 700 and a Bell RS-1 w/SolFX transition shield.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
Been to that review site several times but without some kind of sorting feature, you have to read every review to find out anything. I don't have time to read every review of both full face and modular helmets.

OreganLan, I'll second your crap shoot sentiment. I need to research the transitions type shields. I love it on my glasses. They only make it available on a few shields from what I recall. I looked at Bell Vortex as I know they have a transitions shield for it but it is rated as a loud helmet. I may try to find one local and see how loud it is.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
I go for a combination of frugality and comfort. At the moment I have an open-face and a modular. For the noise, I wear earplugs. For the sun, I wear prescription glasses that get darker in the sun.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
I have an EXO-1000... sun shade... plenty nice... not to loud... has some inflatable cheek pads to make it fit nice and tight, came in real handy fighting winds riding across Kansas...  :o  I've seen them listed under $200...
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »
Been to that review site several times but without some kind of sorting feature, you have to read every review to find out anything. I don't have time to read every review of both full face and modular helmets.

OreganLan, I'll second your crap shoot sentiment. I need to research the transitions type shields. I love it on my glasses. They only make it available on a few shields from what I recall. I looked at Bell Vortex as I know they have a transitions shield for it but it is rated as a loud helmet. I may try to find one local and see how loud it is.

Matt

Yeah, what is loud for some riders might be quiet for others. The fit, aerodynamics, ridding position, physical height, windshield size/shape/type all have huge effects on how loud or quiet a helmet is. Sticking a SPL meter in the helmet and measuring the decibels gives you nothing...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:49:02 AM »
Shoei Quest.
The grass isn't always greener.