Author Topic: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets  (Read 16883 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Modular Versus non-modular full face helmets
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 07:56:29 AM »
If I am thinking of the same test article it, was very controversial in that it concluded that DOT helmets protected BETTER than Snell helmets against the type of head injury causing impacts that motorcyclists were more likely to suffer. Something to do with blunt vs pointed impacts.
Also something about the injurys to older brains. The Snell was too rigid.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
Beer goes flat.

Your drinking to slowly.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
I am just starting to look at new modular helmets. I had one years ago, the BMW one and remember it being okay. My interest is because of neck problems. I have chronic neck pain which physical therapy has helped but when I put on my full face helmet it gives my neck a twinge of pain as I pull in on. So modular helmets seems like a two edged sword from what has been stated here in that it would make getting in and out easier but then they are heavier. My full face fits very snug which is what I understand to be a good thing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Yes, even wearing ear plugs my modular helmet is noisy. A tremendous amount of wind roar starting at about 45 MPH and it just gets worse with more speed. The helmet is an HJC Sy Max II by the way. The helmet fits me very well and overall I like it but it is terribly noisy unless the windshield and visor are all the way up.

Brian

Even with ear plugs in?  still noisy?  Both my full face Arai's are noisy as hell without plugs as well.  I tried on some HJC modulars a couple weeks ago.  Wish I could take on the road to test.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
Heavier, less strength in a crash....I may have one anyway  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Wife got a modular and she really likes it. Got a tinted visor that comes down. Like everyone said, it is not probably as strong as a full face one. But it is a whole lot better than no helmet, half helmets. And I know that you cannot count on it, but I am not trying to get into that big of a accident that will shear the chin bar off.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mkorn

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
i bought a cheaply priced HJC CL-max to try it out and yes, it is noiser ... but they are so convienent.
I prefer my modular over a regular full face.

i did start wearing ear plugs this year and won't rider without them now.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »
Earlier this year on a COG ride around Lake Berryessa here in California, a wife of a COGGER took a turn too hot and ended up hitting an embankment on her 650 ninja. She impacted mostly dirt, but her chin bar from her modular must have hit a rock. Her helmet was still on, but her chin bar was totally disconnected from her helmet. Her face was severly messed up from the impact her face made after the modular failed. I don't know about you, but I don't care to take a drink with my helmet on if the helmet can't even withstand an impact when I crash. I just ask is it really that important to wear a modular? She was air lifted to the ER and ended up being ok. I don't know if she's riding again.

Here is the story.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26469.msg103366.html#msg103366
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Flathead

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
Here is a great article from WebBikeWorld on the ECE standard http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm
Couple of items to note from the article:
"There have been several studies of motorcycle crashes over the last 25 years that have attempted to evaluate any protective advantage or disadvantage of helmets meeting one standard or another (Hurt, 1981; tte, 1991).  No advantage has ever been shown in these field studies for any particular standard, so the helmet industry and individual riders are left comparing theoretical pros and cons of the various standards."
"Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP."

There are modular helmets that meet bot ECE & DOT standards, such as the Schuberth C3 ( and many others).

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »

Even with ear plugs in?  still noisy?  Both my full face Arai's are noisy as hell without plugs as well.  I tried on some HJC modulars a couple weeks ago.  Wish I could take on the road to test.

Will,
  Find a dealer that sells the Schuberth C3 modular.  I have about 10K miles on my
C3 and itś the lightest, quietest modular I've ever owned.  This is my 3rd Schuberth and itś the best yet.  In clean airflow, I don't even need earplugs. 

'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Will,
  Find a dealer that sells the Schuberth C3 modular.  I have about 10K miles on my
C3 and itś the lightest, quietest modular I've ever owned.  This is my 3rd Schuberth and itś the best yet.  In clean airflow, I don't even need earplugs.
A great example of you get what you pay for.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Will,

Think I'm going to punk out and stick with non-modular...have heard good shyte about Schuberth.
Will

Offline booger

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:30 PM »
Will,

I've been looking at a C3.  Man I want one, but too damn cheap.  Maybe I will treat myself one for Christmas.

Flathead

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
I've been looking at a C3.  Man I want one, but too damn cheap.  Maybe I will treat myself one for Christmas.

Like Mick, I love mine BUT do try one on... they only fit certain heads ;-)

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
For anyone considering the purchase of a modular helmet, be sure to perform a roll-off test with the chinbar in the open position. The helmet chinbar can unlatch in a accident and it is possible for some helmets to roll off some head shapes even while tightly strapped on. The HJC helmets seem to have a problem in this area.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline koval68

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:51 AM »
For anyone considering the purchase of a modular helmet, be sure to perform a roll-off test with the chinbar in the open position. The helmet chinbar can unlatch in a accident and it is possible for some helmets to roll off some head shapes even while tightly strapped on. The HJC helmets seem to have a problem in this area.
And how are you suppose to perform that test....., just wondering..... :o ???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:12:54 AM by koval68 »
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
We'll need video as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
By performing a roll-off test (when you grab the rear lip of the helmet and try to roll it forward off your head), you're really only checking for a proper fit of your new helmet.....to reproduce real life situations you need a lab, and IMO that's what we have DOT and Snell standard testing for.....
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Frontier

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
We use Fulmer M1 modulars. Comfortable helmet but LOUD!