Author Topic: Rear Brake Pedal  (Read 18285 times)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
Re: Rear Brake Petal
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
I rarely use it and when I have, I have not noticed any improvement in stopping distance. If I try using just the rear brake, it doesn't seem to do much of anything to stop the bike.

Funny I have been considering starting a thread of this nature as my rear is useless except, kinda, for weight shifting-but to experiment with even low speed-actual stopping power does not exist.
   Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear Brake Pedal
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
I could comment on that as many things come to mind but as it's early morning I may wait a bit before I do....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 05:29:23 AM »
I could comment on that as many things come to mind but as it's early morning I may wait a bit before I do....

Oh come on Jim, why wait? Carpe diem!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
I dont feel like my rear brake is dead, but feels like an on/off switch.  One thing that will help the rear brake is some LESS powerful brake pads.  No, I have not lost it (anymore than usual).

The stock pads are "HH" rated.  If you swap to a set of "GG" pads, they offer more range between off and abs kicking in, or lock-up.  Galfer "GG" organic pads work well, but leave a lot of dust. DP Pads work better and leave less dust.  Then, remove the spring and you'll end up with something good. 

I noticed my rear brake got worse when the local shop put the recall guard on.  Notice how the two mounting screws for the rear brake mastercylinder have some play in them and if loose, the upper, or lower part of the mc will will move back in forth.  Loosen these and set it up where the brake pedal will push straight up on the mc, not sideways.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
Here is a photo of the previously mentioned spring.  I am a Motor Officer and naturally use a lot of rear brake by habit for slow speed movements.  I immediately noticed the rear brake or should I say lack of rear brake engagement of the C14 vs the majority of other bikes I have ridden.  I removed the spring and it was a HUGE improvement to me,  hopefully there are no side effects.  The rear brake pedal disengages fine without the spring.  There are two springs, one is for the brake light engagement from the pedal, the other is the spring removed.  The larger spring was removed.  In the photo you can see it but it is not hooked around the shaft like the brake light switch spring.  It can be removed without taking the brake pedal off with some pliers and a screwdriver in about 5 minutes.  Re-assembly would be much easier with the pedal off.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Here is a photo of the previously mentioned spring.  I am a Motor Officer and naturally use a lot of rear brake by habit for slow speed movements.  I immediately noticed the rear brake or should I say lack of rear brake engagement of the C14 vs the majority of other bikes I have ridden.  I removed the spring and it was a HUGE improvement to me,  hopefully there are no side effects.  The rear brake pedal disengages fine without the spring.  There are two springs, one is for the brake light engagement from the pedal, the other is the spring removed.  The larger spring was removed.  In the photo you can see it but it is not hooked around the shaft like the brake light switch spring.  It can be removed without taking the brake pedal off with some pliers and a screwdriver in about 5 minutes.  Re-assembly would be much easier with the pedal off.

a request, please.  I would love to see a pic of your work bike, if its ok with the dept, etc.
If  a person HAS to have  a return spring on their brake pedal, there are better ways of doing that.

Fasstco sells a
brake return spring for dirt bikes. Originally developed for the JGR bikes.  Anyway if you get the right one it will thread on the mc and allow adjustable tension on the return spring. We need th e8mm size for our c14's. 

Offline Z71

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
I use both brakes all the time.  I paid for both, I want both, but that's me.  I'm funny like that.

Anyway, to the OP, I changed the spelling of 'petal' to 'pedal'.  I couldn't stand it anymore.  Images of flowers on a C14 kept coming to mind.

Jim, you should know that the words pedal, petal, peddle, and paddle are interchangeable on all forums and they all mean the same thing.  :D

Offline Z71

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
I have been through that phase myself, but it went away after I retook my regular dosis of prozac

Dosis?   ::)

Offline Z71

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
The peg feeler is lower and sticks out further than the brake pad.

I hope you have more than one. 

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »

a request, please.  I would love to see a pic of your work bike, if its ok with the dept, etc.
If  a person HAS to have  a return spring on their brake pedal, there are better ways of doing that.

Fasstco sells a
brake return spring for dirt bikes. Originally developed for the JGR bikes.  Anyway if you get the right one it will thread on the mc and allow adjustable tension on the return spring. We need th e8mm size for our c14's.

It is a R1200RT shown in this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=95.30

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I love police bikes. 

Offline texrider

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the brake pedal discussion, reminded me to go adjust mine down a bit, and the shifter too!  :)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »
Jim, you should know that the words pedal, petal, peddle, and paddle are interchangeable on all forums and they all mean the same thing.  :D

Those words all have different meanings in the English language.  What schools did you attend that taught they were interchangeable?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »
Those words all have different meanings in the English language.  What schools did you attend that taught they were interchangeable?
Government schools?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:36 AM »
Government schools?

I attended DOD schools where I was taught how to spell.  I guess you could call them government schools....

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »
Apparently Jim missed the heavy dose of sarcasm in Z71's post?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »
Sarcasm?

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
I'm going to try removing that spring to get more feeling in the pedal. I've got Murphs extender pegs, and have moved the brake pedal down pretty much as far a possible.  I still use the rear when stopping, since I ride my '02 as well and without the rear involved, I would never stop! Force of habit
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline mkorn

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
With most of my riding experience coming from the dirt ... i use the rear brake all the time.

My buddys think its funny when i first start out on the DRz after riding the C14 a bunch ... i over apply the rear and lock it up.
to which i hear them all yelling "no ABS on that one"    :P
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Fretka

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
Bit 'o trivia

According to one of the most popular bike magazines the bike with the shortest stopping distance (as of a couple of years ago) was..........

Wait for it...............

The Honda '98-'99 Interceptor (came with linked brakes).

Bruce
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14