Author Topic: I am Screwed (got a flat) Used Dynaplug  (Read 10795 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: I am Screwed (got a flat) Used Dynaplug
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
If you carry this "caution" bit too far you might find yourself in a Buick. I probably have 30-40 thousand on plugged tires.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
CrashKLRtoConnie
It's good enough to get you to a shop for a new tire, thats all any plug/rope is suppose to be for anyway.

You won't necessarily need a new tire.  But you need a proper patching job to replace the plugging job, which can only be done from the INSIDE of the damaged tire.  As long as the hole (not a big tear) is properly (internally) patched, the tire can be perfectly safe and reliable.  And it is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new tire.

I, personally, would never continue to ride on a plugged tire.  Patched, yes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »
Update On Dynaplug(s)

So far only 75 miles on the plugs. About 40 miles 2 up at freeway speed. No loss of air pressure so far .. but I hope the PR3 comes in before too long ..
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
Went in to the Local    Fremont Ca - Honda Kawasaki Motorcycle dealer and after some discussion ...

They agreed if the wheel is off the bike that they would mount and balance any tire bought at their store.

So I bought / and they ordered the Michelin Rear PR3 190/50ZR-17 ... and once it is in will pull off the wheel and be back in full action.
note: They = (Brooks in service and Taylor Lapin in parts)

http://www.fremonthondakawasaki.com/

I bought my 2008 KLR650 there and had it serviced there. Nice store and Nice People.

With the onboard TPMS I would trust a plug much more than on a bike w/o it, you have a warning system and if you carry a compressor it will get you to your destination.  With that said I would replace the tire as well. 

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »
well guys, isn't it ironic.  I went for an afternoon ride to clear the mind and guess what?  Yep, got a darn flat rear tire.  I just took my travel kit out of the saddlebag containing the Slime Pump and Rope type string plugs.  My wife was able to take off work and bring me the gear and I was able to get it back home.  Now I am in the market for tires as I hate the front stocker and will just replace both.  Maybe I will post a tire poll as it is between the PR2's and the Angels.