Author Topic: 5inch garmin versus 4.3  (Read 19148 times)

Offline Aegir

• 2012 - Candy Arabian Red
Re: 5inch garmin versus 4.3
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »
How about:

* Smartphones have capacitive screens that is not compatible with gloves.
* Smartphones are not weatherproof.
* Smartphones are not designed to be vibrated constantly.
* Smartphones are more expensive and a lot more sensitive to theft .
* Typically smartphones need a constant data connection to display location/maps or another app or a lot of downloading, or whatever.
* Smartphones don't mount as well.

I use an iPhone 4 in a Lifeproof case (fully weather proof), Techmount, and Navigon App (by Garmin), synced with my Sena 10.

The Lifeproof case is water tight to one metre for 30 minutes.  Techmount sells a Lifeproof specific cradle to attached to their mounts (part number MOTOCLIP for 4/4S, MOTOCLIP5 for 5).  The Navigon App allows you to download data for just the States/Provinces or other areas you want if low on memory.  That way you still have full GPS even if have no cell signal.  Granted the gloves are an issue, but I generally just pull over if need to make modifications on the GPS device.  I'm not much of a multi-tasker when riding. :P  When I  pull over, I just take phone out of cradle and carry w/ me as usual.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
I have 2 smart phones.. Samsung  Galaxy and Iphone 4s. 
I also have a Zumo 550 with XM radio.
Smartphones cannot be seen on the sun ..period. Great in your pocket but I do have them mounted on my handle bars. They dont like being shaken. They dont like water. Touch screen is difficult. They dont play XM radio.

Zumo, perfect, no one will steal it.  Plays XM,  easy to download all my routes from Google Maps, does Speed cams and red light cams and many other POIS.
Do I use the smart phones.. sure. but I  depend on the Garmin.
FYI- other Garmins for cars not made for motorcycle  are  also hard to see in sunlight.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
There are other applications, as well.  For example, TomTom has apps for iOS devices and they store the maps on your device instead of relying on a data connection.

Thanks for the link you provided. I had been wondering about GPS apps for my new smartphone.  I went to TomTom's site and the reviews that were there left me less than impressed.  I think that I will save for a bike-specific unit based on these reviews along with the important reasons listed above.
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
I have a 550... have had it since they came out in 2005(?).  So it will always be used instead of my iPhone.  The 550 is made for a MC... waterproof... plays tunes... tethers to my phone for calls if needed.

Tom Tom's are very popular overseas... and they brought you the first iteration of iPhone maps.  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Broz

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
I have the Zumo 660 and an iPhone 5. I think the Zumo is great for route sharing and planning routes on the PC/Mac before you hit the road. If I was just using the GPS to get from point a to b like you would use a smart phone I would miss so e of the best rides I have taken.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
So, like Brain I have 3 GPS capable devices, unlike Brian, one of those is my govt. tracking device, AKA "Smart phone".  On my last trip to CO I was using my Garmin Montana, unknown to me was the fact that the mapset loaded was NOT routable and I needed to get back to my daughters house and I had no clue as to how to tget there...  My second GPS is my Garmin ETrex30, not user friendly for eyes that need cheaters to read.  Last, but not least, the cell phone.  Got me back.  The issue?  Not glove friendly and no dedicated mount to keep it within eyeball reach.  Otterbox and Ram do make a weather resistant case, which I will be ordering soon and I know quite a few who use this with success, but generally speaking it is too stream music to their helmet and/or to monitor incoming calls, helpfull for the busy buisness guy (who is smart enough to pull over for the conversation).
So, my choices?  Zumo 550, bluetooth, MP3 player, and XM capable for the long trips.  On the ADV bike I have the Garmin Montana 600, it has multi layers so I can have the street maps overlayed with Topos overlayed with satelite imagery from the Birdseye supscription.  The Etrex is soley as backup, small, Glonass and WAAS reception so it is far more acurate and much more likely to keep a signal when in wooded areas, which is especially nice on the dirtbike when I'm checking out new to me trails.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
I didn't realize that so many people had expensive motorcycles but didn't have a smartphone.

Not having smartphone doesn't imply that it is because of the cost. Luckily I can afford one, I just don't want one. They bring about zero advantages in my life and quite some disadvantages. My old (read 1,5 years "old") Nokia holds its charge for a week, and does one of the best things a phone can do: let me talk to people that are not around me at the time. I (and this is very personal) don't need anything else from a device that has to be as small as possible. It's so much so, that sometimes I get old (again, read 1 year) smartphones for free from friends and give them to my sister, who gives them to their children to play Angry Birds, so they shut up for 2 hours in a row. Now THAT'S useful.
Regarding the advantages of a navigation device (a GPS is just a part of it) over a smartphone, enough has been said, me thinks.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »
^^^^^
   :thumbs:

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
give them to my sister, who gives them to their children to play Angry Birds, so they shut up for 2 hours in a row. Now THAT'S useful.

Just my $0.02:

This is discouraged.  Even when not on an active "plan" cell phones retain the ability to dial 911.  Many emergency service dispatch organizations have a policy that responders must be dispatched to the location of a call if they cannot verbally confirm with the caller that there is not an emergency.  Consequently, if a child inadvertently makes an emergency call (which on a smart phone is sometimes as easy as pressing a single button -- you don't necessarily have to dial 911) they may trigger emergency vehicles to come to their location.  In addition to embarrassment and cost to the average tax payer, this occupies the time of emergency responders who may now be delayed in getting to a real emergency.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
Might be different in Argentina.  ;)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
Just my $0.02:

This is discouraged.  Even when not on an active "plan" cell phones retain the ability to dial 911.  Many emergency service dispatch organizations have a policy that responders must be dispatched to the location of a call if they cannot verbally confirm with the caller that there is not an emergency.  Consequently, if a child inadvertently makes an emergency call (which on a smart phone is sometimes as easy as pressing a single button -- you don't necessarily have to dial 911) they may trigger emergency vehicles to come to their location.  In addition to embarrassment and cost to the average tax payer, this occupies the time of emergency responders who may now be delayed in getting to a real emergency.

911 may not be a factor where he lives...  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Not having smartphone doesn't imply that it is because of the cost. Luckily I can afford one, I just don't want one. They bring about zero advantages in my life and quite some disadvantages. My old (read 1,5 years "old") Nokia holds its charge for a week, and does one of the best things a phone can do: let me talk to people that are not around me at the time. I (and this is very personal) don't need anything else from a device that has to be as small as possible. It's so much so, that sometimes I get old (again, read 1 year) smartphones for free from friends and give them to my sister, who gives them to their children to play Angry Birds, so they shut up for 2 hours in a row. Now THAT'S useful.
Regarding the advantages of a navigation device (a GPS is just a part of it) over a smartphone, enough has been said, me thinks.

:thumbs: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
911 may not be a factor where he lives...  8)
Argentina has a "911" and also a "103", according to my Argentinian friend.  Although he was unsure if phones in Argentina had the same requirement as the FCC imposes in the US (must be able to dial emergency number even if suspended or not activated).
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
Might be different in Argentina.  ;)

?  He rides in Germany, I believe. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
Just going by his country flag.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
So I guess I'm in England then..?  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
The flag? The armor? Thought it was France.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
 :yikes:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
Just kidding. Hey, I hear the wise men are going to turn the water off in Prince Geo. county during the heat wave. Is that your area?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
I'm in a more Kingly area of Va.  I don't deal with a mere prince.....

King George!