Author Topic: Hard Starting 2011 C14  (Read 2959 times)

Offline kman311

Hard Starting 2011 C14
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »
I recently checked the valve clearance on my 2011 right at 15K miles. While I had everything apart I replaced the plugs, installed a K&N air filter and changed the oil.  When I had everything back together it would not start. I thought maybe I missed a connection somewhere. I checked everything over again and after sputtering a little it started. It runs fine once it is started. About the only way it will start now is 3 - 6 short pushes of the starter (3-5 seconds at a time). It makes a sound similar to a very low backfire and then starts.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

Offline Xelvic

Re: Hard Starting 2011 C14
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
Had that problem once on a different bike because I didn't GAP the plugs right. Did you GAP yours to spec?
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline kman311

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
I gapped all the new plugs before I installed them. I pulled them all out yesterday and one of them was out of spec. That one must of slipped out of the socket when I installed it. The motor starts right away now, so the problem is solved. Thanks for the tip!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »
That is great to hear!  I love it when someone posts a simple fix.  Great job, Xelvic.  Too bad probably getting to the plugs is a nightmare.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
Glad I could help!
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline kman311

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
I think I spoke to soon on the starting issue. The problem seems to be getting worse. I thought maybe I had a bad plug so this past week I removed the new plugs and put the original plugs back in. It started right up, however the next morning it took about 8 tries to finally get it started.  With the lower temps starting here in Iowa I am afraid the battery is going to die before this thing starts.  Is there any way the problem could be the K&N filter? Could it have too much oil on it from the factory?  I am thinking about just buying a stock filter just to rule that out.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
I think I spoke to soon on the starting issue. The problem seems to be getting worse. I thought maybe I had a bad plug so this past week I removed the new plugs and put the original plugs back in. It started right up, however the next morning it took about 8 tries to finally get it started.  With the lower temps starting here in Iowa I am afraid the battery is going to die before this thing starts.  Is there any way the problem could be the K&N filter? Could it have too much oil on it from the factory?  I am thinking about just buying a stock filter just to rule that out.

Seems unlikely.  I have a K&N in mine and never had any issues like that.  If you want to eliminate it as a possibility, just remove it and see if the bike starts.  It only needs the air filter to keep dirt out, so unless you're starting it in a dust storm, it won't hurt.

When you try starting, do you wait for the fuel pump to finish pressurizing (i.e wait for the gauges to complete their cycling)?

You also said you do short bursts on the starter.  What if you just keep cranking it a little longer?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250