Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 553 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Did you know?
« on: February 11, 2024, 04:14:18 AM »
You can date older Zippo lighters by looking at the logo on the bottom of the lighter case.  I started looking at one of my lighters that I have and found that it was a 1969 model.  Probably picked it up at an antique store.  I've got so much stuff that I need to get rid of....sigh.  Anyway, off to the hardware store later today to pick up fluid and flints.  They are made in Bradford PA.  Stopped there with a friend many years ago whilst on a MC trip.  Very good tour.

https://www.zippo.com/pages/date-codes
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 10:45:00 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, you can date a Coleman lantern by checking the stamping on the bottom of the lantern also.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 08:08:21 AM »
Can you date a VirginiaJim from the stamping on his bottom?  :rotflmao:

I have about 12 Zippo's from when I was a smoker.
Ahhh,... the smell of lighting a Marlboro with a Zippo.  ;D
I don't have the heart to bin them.
Some are so worn that they need to be refilled every day and leak into your pocket.
Others have the hinges split, and I have one or 2 special ones that have hardly been used.
One lives in the garage and is used to light my blowtorches. The rest are in the bottom of my sock drawer.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 04:35:49 AM »
They have a lifetime guarantee, all you have to pay is shipping.  Not sure about the UK though.  I like Zippos because they remind me of my father.  I've added a new flint and wick.  A tip for flints is to add a few under the bottom felt so that if one wears out you have spares.  One thing I noticed was that the Zippo wick has a copper wire wound into it.  I like that as it's easier to route it and also warms up the fuel in the case for better burning.  The wick should be cut so it's about half way up in the chimney.  The higher the cut, the higher the flame.  Another fun fact is that Zippo owns Ronson so the fuel and the flints are identical to the Zippo brands.  By the way, I don't smoke but I do like the lighters.

As far as the date stamp on my bottom, I'll have to defer to my wife on that question...lol.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.