Author Topic: Dumb lights question  (Read 13642 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Dumb lights question
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
The lower portion of the reflector is shaped to spread the beam differently than the upper portion; the lower portion spreads the beam out and more up/ down then the top portion. If the light source (filament or arc) is exposed to the lower reflector housing, you will generate a high beam shape no matter where (within reason) it is placed. So the reflectors on the C-14 generate a true high beam using the stock H4 lamps but only generate a quasi- low beam, although focused to a higher point (making it appear to be 'high') when using HIDs.

Then we SHOULD be upset with the HID kits, afterall (see, I KNEW I should be upset about something)...

But I think you meant to say a quasi-high beam when using HID:  The low beam should be the same on both- same filament position, and using only the upper half of the reflector.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
Yep, I meant to say high beam and fixed the original post- thanks for pointing that out.

Brian

Then we SHOULD be upset with the HID kits, afterall (see, I KNEW I should be upset about something)...

But I think you meant to say a quasi-high beam when using HID:  The low beam should be the same on both- same filament position, and using only the upper half of the reflector.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
This brings up another dumb question!

I ride in the dark a lot (some say 24/7) especially over the next several months. What's the best way to add lights (now that I'm getting the most out of my headlights) without becoming a hazard to oncoming drivers?
chip

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »
This brings up another dumb question!

I ride in the dark a lot (some say 24/7) especially over the next several months. What's the best way to add lights (now that I'm getting the most out of my headlights) without becoming a hazard to oncoming drivers?

You can add powerful LED "driving lights" (many are like narrow flood lights) and then connect them to the high beam circuit with a relay.  Then they will come on only with high beams (which should only be used at night and with no other cars around).

Alternatively, a really fancy setup would have a dimmer that cuts their brightness down to 15-20% or less when on low beam and jump them to 100% on high beam.  That is a bit more complex with LED, since they don't dim with a regular dimmer but require a special LED dimmer.

You can't really add much more light than dual HID on low beam without blinding others, even with pretty decent aim.  And even if you did, it will start causing blinding to yourself... when the road close to you (the only safe place to add more light on low beam)  starts getting really bright, it will start to reduce your ability to see things further away (just the way the eyes work).

When using high beams, there really is no limit to how useful more light can be- the more the better, until you accidentally leave them on with cars around, which could be VERY bad if you pumped it up a lot.  There are legal limits to how much light can be projected on both high and low beam, but anything you do (including adding HID) is already illegal and pushed you over the limit too...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
Thanks, Maxtog.

Guess I'll just hang back getting the most out of what I've got. I would rather not add additional lighting if it meant endangering oncoming drivers. Though it pains me to say it, I guess I'll just have to slow down in the dark.
chip

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Thanks, Maxtog.

Guess I'll just hang back getting the most out of what I've got. I would rather not add additional lighting if it meant endangering oncoming drivers. Though it pains me to say it, I guess I'll just have to slow down in the dark.

Not sure how old you are, I am 43... seems like the old saying about everything going down hill is true.  I have noticed my night vision is not as good as it used to be.  Kind of a dual-edged sword; lights are getting brighter and the ever increasing numbers of vehicles with improperly adjusted/ aligned and/or dirty/UV-destroyed headlights makes it that much worse.

My best friend, who is only 52, has such bad night vision now, he barely wants to drive (a car) at all at night.  When he got married 4 years ago, he also let his bike rot (it is unlicensed and falling apart; now I just ride alone)  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
No need doing that Maxdog...  PM me and we'll see if we can't get together at some  pint er point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
No need doing that Maxdog...  PM me and we'll see if we can't get together at some  pint er point.

LOL- We are still waiting for that group windshield get-together!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
I think you two guys are having a miss- communication: Max said you could really not do better than using a HI / LO HID setup, not that you could not improve the stock lights. As I understand it, you have stock H4 lamps now, correct? If so, you can triple (really triple, not advertising triple which is about 10% more) just by going to HIDs and they are not too hard onto oncoming traffic. Max and I both run HIDs successfully (at least it seems we both think we are successful).

Swapping the stock H4 lamps (tungsten or halogen, both terms are correct) for HIDs will make an amazing difference in your night safety and visibility (the rider's ability to see things downrange, not the ability of others to see you). Kits are available for about $65 or so and there is no better 'bang for the buck' in motorcycle farkling that I know of. The kits are fairly easy to install although not as easy as swapping stock headlight bulbs.

Retrofitting a C-14 with HIDs is not perfect but it is reasonable and responsible in my opinion and will absolutely put out far more light- HIDs in the 4,100 K range will produce about 3,100 to 3,200 lumens while H4 produce 1,000 lumens. And all of those plus series lamps (+80, +90 and now +100) do produce more light but only about 10% of what the numbers would lead you to believe (a +90 lamp actually produces around 9% more actual light output).

Brian

Thanks, Maxtog.

chip
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »
Yeah, I know...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »
I think you two guys are having a miss- communication: Max said you could really not do better than using a HI / LO HID setup, not that you could not improve the stock lights. As I understand it, you have stock H4 lamps now, correct?

Oh, for some reason I was thinking he already performed the HID conversion and wanted even more on low beam.  My bad, I was mixing the two threads together  :o

. And all of those plus series lamps (+80, +90 and now +100) do produce more light but only about 10% of what the numbers would lead you to believe (a +90 lamp actually produces around 9% more actual light output).

+1
The "90% brighter!!!!" crap advertising on halogen bulb replacements is just that- marketing crap.  10% max additional seems about right.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »
Yeah, I posted after someone else and didn't re-do it.  I'm crazy sometimes.  Ask anyone.  And if this explanation confuses you more then I've done my job to best of my ability.  As my wife says, I'm the best at being me. ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »
Yeah, I posted after someone else and didn't re-do it.  I'm crazy sometimes.  Ask anyone.  And if this explanation confuses you more then I've done my job to best of my ability.  As my wife says, I'm the best at being me. ;)

And you're doing a fine job of it Jim!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
Don't exactly remember what I'm running now, but they're not stock. I replaced all bulbs with the brightest PIAAs I could get. I ride a lot at night on 2-lane county highways where there are no street lights, and I live where it rains 9-months of the year. I want as much light as I can reasonably get without blinding anyone.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Then HIDs are the probably the best option. They simply produce more light than (I think) any available tungsten lighting including 100 watt halogens and still have a crisp enough cut- off line (where the low beam 'cuts off' or stops putting out much light) to be reasonable to oncoming traffic. The C-14 housings make a good transition to HID replacements- I would rate them an 8.5 or maybe even a 9.0 out of 10 on a light quality scale. As far as actual light output, they are still 'top dog' in the lighting world and are in a class by themselves even when compared to any other form of light producer including the latest, greatest L.E.D. products.

Look up a bi-xenon, H4 kit from someone. A&R out of Texas has been pretty popular with C-14 owners and DDM Tuning out of California has about the best prices around. An entire HID 'kit' is about $65 or so and fairly easy to install as long as you are comfortable running a cable (provided) to the terminals of the battery.

Brian

Don't exactly remember what I'm running now, but they're not stock. I replaced all bulbs with the brightest PIAAs I could get. I ride a lot at night on 2-lane county highways where there are no street lights, and I live where it rains 9-months of the year. I want as much light as I can reasonably get without blinding anyone.

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »
Thanks, Brian. I'll check it out. Sounds like a lot of peace of mind for $65.
chip

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
I too will be looking at the HID kits as the PIAA's and such are in the 45 buck range for 2. GIven the life of the HID's there is a lot of savings in the long run it would seem. Left home at 7 am in complete darkness. Idiot legislation in Indiana should have left us alone with DST....or at least put us on with CHicago instead of BOston. Wrong end of the time zone for riding to work.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt